Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 11:33 AM

102,210 posts, read 107,883,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
I remember very little about my childhood and I had no traumatic happenings. I don't think it's all that unusual not to remember a lot of one's childhood and teen years. I barely remember any of my childhood and teen years - and no, I do not have a memory problem. I definitely do not remember much of my childhood from age 9 to 13 - and definitely nothing at all before age 9.
If you don't remember, how do you know there wasn't trauma?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2019, 11:38 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Except that these days people get demons from people not liking their hair
This thread isn't about someone having "demons from people not liking their hair" though. I've been in health care and have worked w/ people who've survived real traumatic events. I can't imagine trivializing these things. Everyone has their own threshold, too, based on their own genetics and background and other factors.

Old 03-06-2019, 11:49 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,156,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
It is an evolutionary advantage, because your PTSD helps you prevent it from happening again. Lets say you're at war and are traumatized. Because of this you can't sleep, are more prone to violence, paranoia, etc. All these things will help you survive at war, despite the toll on your psychological well being. Or lets say you're sexually assaulted. To keep this from happening again, you will shy away from sex or sexual situations or being alone with men or whatever.
Possibly. I don't know. It just strikes me that PTSD or whatever they used to call it, is widespread but people have been violent to other people since forever. Only as humans have studied psychology, has it been recognized as a real condition. Although, I believe in the aftermath of WWI, it was termed "shell shock."

Old 03-06-2019, 12:14 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,717,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
This thread isn't about someone having "demons from people not liking their hair" though.
Says you.

The title is "Humans are incredibly psychologically fragile", and to topic people have been pointing out how yes, they are fragile how the trend is for them becoming even more so.

Two decades+ of sheltered children are rapidly turning into a society of adults who can't cope with the real world.

Old 03-06-2019, 12:54 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,943,089 times
Quote:
Says you.

The title is "Humans are incredibly psychologically fragile", and to topic people have been pointing out how yes, they are fragile how the trend is for them becoming even more so.

Two decades+ of sheltered children are rapidly turning into a society of adults who can't cope with the real world.
Thats why you do more than just read the title and read the actual message. It was not about being sheltered.

Old 03-06-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
Thats why you do more than just read the title and read the actual message. It was not about being sheltered.
It's completely related

Old 03-06-2019, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Says you.

I just want to mention that the so-called “sheltered kids” are only a subset of all kids. Plenty of kids are growing up in incredible poverty, homelessness, in foster care, on farms, and in innner cities where they are left to their own devices while parents work double shifts.

It is inaccurate to characterize all children as sheltered, just as not all parents are helicopter parents.

There are some middle and upper class kids who are buffered from the rough and tumble of life. But they can’t possibly constitute the majority of kids today,

Old 03-06-2019, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
TI just want to mention that the so-called “sheltered kids” are only a subset of all kids. Plenty of kids are growing up in incredible poverty, homelessness, in foster care, on farms, and in innner cities where they are left to their own devices while parents work double shifts.

It is inaccurate to characterize all children as sheltered, just as not all parents are helicopter parents.

There are some middle and upper class kids who are buffered from the rough and tumble of life. But they can’t possibly constitute the majority of kids today,
I beg to differ, we are only beginning to suffer the consequence of participation trophies, unmerited grade inflation, and avoidance of criticism. This is a systematic changing in raising children that is widespread through all income groups in the united states

Old 03-06-2019, 06:08 PM

Quote:
I beg to differ, we are only beginning to suffer the consequence of participation trophies, unmerited grade inflation, and avoidance of criticism. This is a systematic changing in raising children that is widespread through all income groups in the united states
Hmm. I guess I was considering the concept more narrowly. I don’t totally disagree with you, but I do think plenty of modern kids are not protected in bubbles.

I do have some exposure to my grade school level grands, and it seems to me that they are learning and that they enjoy school. One kid has had trouble with reading and grades were not inflated. Tutoring was employed. Is that something you feel should have not been done? Perhaps the child should have been left to fail?

I gather PE classes at the elementary level are not terribly competitive. But one kid plays sports in a local league. I do know that at upoer levels team sports are competitive.

I am just not seeing what you are talking about. I am not saying that some of this does not exist.

I do have problems with parents who try to make sure their kids never suffer disappointments or consequences. That is not a healthy way to raise a kid, IMO.

Old 03-07-2019, 01:01 AM

9,511 posts, read 6,101,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
Interesting...so how would keeping away from men help evolutionarily?
It wouldn’t. But statistically, a very high percentage of women who work in the sex industry have a history of being a victim of sexual abuse. Maybe self-exploitation is an evolutionary response to exploitation by men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology