Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 10:30 PM

17,539 posts, read 13,324,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzyRules View Post
What would you think about a formerly prudish woman now flaunting her body?
How Victorian sounding!

Quote:
Without saying exactly how it happened, .
Why not? We don't know her

Quote:
Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with what she is doing.
Yes you do

Quote:
I consider it a positive thing for someone like her to become less inhibited. But she probably married the first person who proposed to her. I think if she had been less prudish before she would have gotten a lot of proposals sooner. The only reason I'm asking is because I don't understand people who are that prudish. And I hope that this is a positive change for her.
Nothing I can say about this one
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 05:38 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My fiancé and I know a girl like this who obviously just got married at 18 or maybe it was 19 because of her radical religious views and if you want sex that badly, apparently you’ll marry the first person with a pulse who comes along. The dude is chubby and not a catch at all, and she was cute-ish. Always dressed conservatively which I like, and then she gets married suddenly it’s crop tops and mini skirts everywhere. Seems like the opposite order to me.

My GF has known since we started dating I don’t like a girl I’m with to dress like a streetwalker. I don’t find anything appealing about that. If a girl wants to dress that way it’s fine, but she should be single. If I’m with her, I am the one who gets to see the goods not every guy who happens to see her in public. For me it’s a class issue, I’m a classy guy and I won’t be seen with a trashy girl. I want the girl I’m with to dress classy and conservative not this new unbelievable Forever 21 style that makes young girls look like prostitutes.
OP didn’t say anything about her for you to say I know a girl like her. He used an example of a girl who is a prude getting married and then posing for Maxim magazine. First of all, Maxim does not show nudity but they do have sexy centerfolds. Secondly they get the most beautiful celebrities in the world, so I think any woman who had the chance to appear in Maxim is already a model and would do so, most likely with her husbands blessing.

But in reality OP did not say a thing aside from posing for Maxim magazine about what this girl is doing. He did not say she’s going around dressing trashily. He also doesn’t say anything about the girls husband. Isn’t it possible that he has been the one to coax her out of her shell?

Old 03-08-2019, 05:58 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
What would you think about a formerly prudish woman now flaunting her body?

Without saying exactly how it happened, I would compare it to a former nun getting married. Then, going on a photo shoot for a men's fashion and style magazine like Maxim wearing a bikini.

Honestly, I don't think there is anything wrong with what she is doing. I consider it a positive thing for someone like her to become less inhibited. But she probably married the first person who proposed to her. I think if she had been less prudish before she would have gotten a lot of proposals sooner. The only reason I'm asking is because I don't understand people who are that prudish. And I hope that this is a positive change for her.

She is simply awakening. I have known a lot of women over the years who, once they got into a loving, sexual relationship, started to become tigers in the bedroom and beyond. It is liberating for them, and they start to realize it is fun to be sexy and play around with that sexuality. One lady I had a relationship with was outwardly very conservative, but she transitioned into someone who was very aggressive sexually, and loved it.

Very normal, if she is your lady, enjoy the ride.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Sounds like someone searching for attention.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:19 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
I remember in college, girls who wouldn't give me the time of day when they were not dating anyone, would get a boyfriend and suddenly become friendly (not that they were trying to cheat on their boyfriends with me! far from it! they were just all of a sudden normally friendly, whereas they had previously acted like I was something smelly on the bottom of their shoes).

I guess it meant they were no longer worried I would ask them for a date and then they would have to figure out how to brush me off.

My guess is it's a variant of this.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:01 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
I found myself more confident in my body after I was married & knew my husband loved me. compared to when I was single and internalized every bad relationship as "something is wrong with me or I would have had guys lining up for me" or was too worried about "what message am I sending with this outfit on" and then there is the conservative society that judges single women much more harshly than married women. I felt more liberated after marriage & didn't care as long as my husband liked my look, I felt sexy.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:26 AM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
A lot of people here are are making assumptions about the OP's thoughts that might not reflect his thinking, kind of like adding 2 + 2 and getting 7. He might just be genuinely curious.

Old 03-08-2019, 10:44 AM

8,923 posts, read 7,715,601 times
What's interesting is that his post is full of assumptions about someone else. Odd thing to be curious about...especially if they aren't of any real significance to him. But okay.

He has not come back to clarify any of the questions anyone asked:

OP:
Who is this woman to you?

Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
My fiancé and I know a girl like this who obviously just got married at 18 or maybe it was 19 because of her radical religious views and if you want sex that badly, apparently you’ll marry the first person with a pulse who comes along. The dude is chubby and not a catch at all, and she was cute-ish. Always dressed conservatively which I like, and then she gets married suddenly it’s crop tops and mini skirts everywhere. Seems like the opposite order to me.

My GF has known since we started dating I don’t like a girl I’m with to dress like a streetwalker. I don’t find anything appealing about that. If a girl wants to dress that way it’s fine, but she should be single. If I’m with her, I am the one who gets to see the goods not every guy who happens to see her in public. For me it’s a class issue, I’m a classy guy and I won’t be seen with a trashy girl. I want the girl I’m with to dress classy and conservative not this new unbelievable Forever 21 style that makes young girls look like prostitutes.
So on a scale where 1 is heels and jewelry and nothing else...and 10 is full burqa... You demand your girlfriends be where? 7? 8? How low do you go before it's trashy?

What about swimsuits, like at the beach? Is she allowed to wear one? Can it be a bikini, or does it have to be a one piece? Just wondering.

The last time I was with someone who treated my body as something shameful, or the possibility of me being seen as attractive or appealing by other guys as a probable threat that must be controlled, my entire sexuality shut down, and not only did that include my desire to be sexual with him, it was...mostly that. Because most of the shame stuff was coming from him. I hope for your sake, you find women who don't function that way and are fine with their bodies and sexuality being treated like dirty secret meets treasured property. But hey. Your kink is not my kink, and that's ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
I remember in college, girls who wouldn't give me the time of day when they were not dating anyone, would get a boyfriend and suddenly become friendly (not that they were trying to cheat on their boyfriends with me! far from it! they were just all of a sudden normally friendly, whereas they had previously acted like I was something smelly on the bottom of their shoes).

I guess it meant they were no longer worried I would ask them for a date and then they would have to figure out how to brush me off.

My guess is it's a variant of this.
Yes, this makes sense, because many women struggle to enforce our own boundaries for our own sake. We're raised to be kind and accommodating. So making men feel rejected is uncomfortable. Especially when we see the guy as generally being a nice person. So if I am single, and particularly if some dude is in my social circle and knows I'm single, I dare not even be friendly to him unless I want to have sex with him or date him...because if I do, he may (likely) misinterpret and think I'm flirting, and then if I turn him down, then I've led him on, and I'm a tease and he might just be angry about it. But no matter how he reacts one thing is for sure...I've wronged him. I'm a bad person for that.

If I say no to a guy who wants me, I'd better have a reason. If it's some reason of my own, he'll likely judge me for it or argue with me. "I don't find you attractive, sorry." will make a lot of guys lash out about how picky and superficial women are. Or they argue like it's a debate they can win, that we need to give them a chance. Guys often don't take a no well.

But there is one argument that a higher number of men understand. "I've got a boyfriend."

It's really nice from a woman's perspective to be "taken" so now I don't have to deal with it from the place of trying to enforce boundaries that are my own, which many men don't take seriously...now I have this shield I can raise, marked "Boyfriend!" I get to be lazy and not have to worry about a whole debate any time. Pretty neat!

To put it in context of this, some dudes think that the way a woman dresses is "advertising goods" because some guys really struggle with the idea that woman are people and have our own reasons for things we do, and the bizarre notion that the world does not revolve entirely around their (male) perspective. So if they see it and want it, they should go after it, and if a woman made herself appealing to their eyes, she must be available for their pursuit.

It feels good to look good. Read that sentence again. Try to remember it next time you see a woman who is clearly dressed "sexy." It feels good to look good. She's doing that, because today she wants to feel good. Women often know this, it's why we compliment each other a lot. If she is taken, it may mean that she feels more confident now that she has the invisible "Boyfriend!" shield.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:14 PM

5,770 posts, read 3,219,640 times
There is a quote "Oh sweet mystery of life at last I've found you" from a very popular Mel Brooks movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ajr0RleV_Fk

Perhaps she had a similar experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology