Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 01:28 AM

37,102 posts, read 41,267,704 times

Advertisements

DS and his wife had groceries delivered. They had a newborn and were exhausted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 05:09 AM

938 posts, read 446,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
If someone had groceries delivered to their front door I wouldn't think anything about it. That they were doing it to impress me would never come to mind and I think it's ridiculous to think that's the reason anyone would have home delivery. It's just the next logical step after having all those Amazon boxes delivered. One less errand that needs to be run. Don't read too much into it.
Exactly right, man! Nobody cares.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?
No...just ignorance...that's all.
My 80 year old aunt would have her groceries delivered occasionally...not because she had some twisted thinking that she was of great importance...but because of pure necessity.

A corner store here, has offered delivery of groceries for years...something many disabled and elderly people really appreciate...they are loyal customers because of it.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:43 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamary1 View Post
*I* make sure to instruct the delivery guy to honk his horn several times so that the neighbors see me getting my pizza delivered. I also ask him to take as much time as possible swaggering up the walk so that if anyone is late getting to their windows, they won't miss the magnificence of the occasion.

I also write "THIS PIZZA WAS DELIVERED!!!" on the box before I put it in the garbage bin outside, making sure it sticks out far enough for the writing to be seen.

Yep, I'm even cooler..... <snort>

I can top that! I do everything you do, and more! When we order food online, I know exactly when they're coming, so I put on one of my tiaras (I have more than one) and get one of my tubes of glitter (I have a bunch). As I'm walking down the driveway to meet the driver, I throw glitter up in the air, and sing "Hail to the Queen" as loud as I can, so the neighbors can hear me.

Cause I'm special! LOL

Old 03-12-2019, 12:23 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
This thread is so antiquated. Online grocery delivery services have been available and heavily used for 15 years or longer with Peapod.com https://www.peapod.com, Safeway.com, and others.

And in more recent years, there are the following online grocery delivery services -

Instacart.com
Amazon Fresh online
Target's online grocery delivery from Target grocery stores called Shipt.com https://www.shipt.com/?page=home
Walmart's new online grocery delivery service https://grocery.walmart.com, and others.

Including geographic online delivery services such as LundsandByerlys.com and Cobornsdelivers.com.

And Walmart.com has tons of groceries available for ordering. (which is different from Walmart's new online grocery delivery service)

People do not use them because of self-importance or laziness - they are heavily used for all kinds of reasons including convenience and time-saving.

So many people in this thread sound so behind the times and some completely unaware of the large movement toward use of online grocery delivery services for many.

Last edited by matisse12; 03-12-2019 at 01:45 PM..

Old 03-12-2019, 01:06 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by purehuman View Post
No...just ignorance...that's all.
My 80 year old aunt would have her groceries delivered occasionally...not because she had some twisted thinking that she was of great importance...but because of pure necessity.

A corner store here, has offered delivery of groceries for years...something many disabled and elderly people really appreciate...they are loyal customers because of it.
I've never lived in NYC but have read in the past about groceries being delivered even way "back in the day", right? Kids would make spending money delivering...

Old 03-12-2019, 01:08 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Everyone thinks everyone is looking at them or noticing them.

They're not. Move on.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:12 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,581,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Here's an odd comment from a recent article. I see this kind of spiteful statement more and more and honestly don't understand where it comes from. The article was about restaurants and stores that offer home delivery.

"I get the feeling a lot of people order delivery of groceries and meals to perpetuate a `oh, we're so very busy with many important things' persona. They probably hope neighbors are looking out their windows when the delivery person pulls up in the driveway."

I used to hear this about cellphones, too, before cellphones became common. "Oh, they just want people to think they're important." No consideration whatsoever given to the idea that a mobile phone is a useful tool. Sure, I bought one because I want to be admired.

Is it feelings of inadequacy? Envy?
But...what neighbor would be looking out their window to see if food or groceries are being delivered to the neighbor ...Lol? That would make the problem with the stalker that lives next door...not groceries.

Old 03-12-2019, 01:16 PM

16,072 posts, read 21,148,356 times
So what IS the newest status symbol? My neighbors are outside right now and I have a sudden urge to impress them, maybe I could use my new doordash app? Thoughts?

Old 03-12-2019, 03:07 PM

938 posts, read 446,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I've never lived in NYC but have read in the past about groceries being delivered even way "back in the day", right? Kids would make spending money delivering...
I used to deliver groceries for the corner store I worked at in Philadelphia back in the early'80s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology