Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2019, 03:08 PM

109 posts, read 61,293 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
I apologise if my grammar and spelling are "not even correct". I have written 3 books and published dozens of articles in internationally respected peer-reviewed journals, so I should know better. I have also served on the Editorial Boards of 6 scholarly journals, which makes any errors even more egregious.

In my defense, I will say I am writing these posts from several different devices and sometimes may "fat-finger" a digital keyboard. I am not pre-reading my material as I am speaking from the "heart" here, so errors may crop up.

However, I would urge you to consider that there is a reason that less than 1% of the world's population hold doctoral degrees. Its because we have consistently and of a high standard contributed to knowledge in our fields and it is only us, academics, whose official job descriptions requires us to "produce new knowledge". That my friend is no small feat. I have taught at the graduate level for about 15 years and can tell you many people are intelligent but not all are able to apply their natural abilities in a critical thinking capacity.

Congratulations on being a member of MENSA, however, I would dismiss any correlation between Mensa’s view of ‘Genius’ based purely on IQ and the real world. Mensa only measures IQ using ‘linear’ convergent thinking puzzles that are timed over a period of one or two hours. Most of the great achievements of humankind were achieved over a lifetime of very hard work and dedication. A two-hour test is nothing more than a two-hour test.

Remember very few Nobel prize winners are MENSA members...that itself should tell you something.

As for grammar and spelling, the comma after "there" is inappropriate because it comes before the dependent clause marker "because", the word "essence" is spelled incorrectly and as an abbreviation, IMHO should be in capitals. [But you're forgiven as the MENSA test may not have been in English].
Every doctor needs to write a book, so that’s not anything special. They are books just collecting current state of knowledge, often proven wrong a few years later.

You call me defensive while you get extremely insecure when I’m questioning your „genius”. My English is what it is, it’s a language I learned. I don’t live in South Africa, where English is one of the official languages. I don't need to be perfect at the language to find the incorrect spelling or grammar, like the way you spell loneliness as lonliness. Thinking that only a native speaker or perfect speaker is capable of finding mistakes is just another logical error on your side.

I agree on MENSA and I posted that as well. MENSA tests are just about finding patterns. I mean, a person without pretty good intellectual skills won’t score high, but there is much more to intelligence. To me, your stereotypical patterns and also lack of understanding how society works is a proof that calling you extraordinarily intelligent is over the top, no matter how hard you try to prove me wrong with your academic blah blah. Academics are good at memorizing and collecting knowledge together, not necessarily at intellectual processing. Period.

You clearly have very puffed ego about your academic degree, just like many other academics. It's not that other people are not able to become academics. It's because academics are people who need to label their fragile ego with a title and spend so much time engaging in these ridiculous procedures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treffer View Post
Or are you suggesting that "gaydar" is real and I can just sense who is gay???
Well, if you are unable to think of the ways to find a gay friend outside of such an obvious place like a gay bar, I can't help you. It wasn't in your books, was it?

Last edited by imfine; 03-19-2019 at 03:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2019, 04:08 AM

87 posts, read 65,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imfine View Post
Every doctor needs to write a book, so that’s not anything special. They are books just collecting current state of knowledge, often proven wrong a few years later.

You call me defensive while you get extremely insecure when I’m questioning your „genius”. My English is what it is, it’s a language I learned. I don’t live in South Africa, where English is one of the official languages. I don't need to be perfect at the language to find the incorrect spelling or grammar, like the way you spell loneliness as loneliness. Thinking that only a native speaker or perfect speaker is capable of finding mistakes is just another logical error on your side.

I agree on MENSA and I posted that as well. MENSA tests are just about finding patterns. I mean, a person without pretty good intellectual skills won’t score high, but there is much more to intelligence. To me, your stereotypical patterns and also lack of understanding how society works is a proof that calling you extraordinarily intelligent is over the top, no matter how hard you try to prove me wrong with your academic blah blah. Academics are good at memorizing and collecting knowledge together, not necessarily at intellectual processing. Period.

You clearly have very puffed ego about your academic degree, just like many other academics. It's not that other people are not able to become academics. It's because academics are people who need to label their fragile ego with a title and spend so much time engaging in these ridiculous procedures.

Well, if you are unable to think of the ways to find a gay friend outside of such an obvious place like a gay bar, I can't help you. It wasn't in your books, was it?

The people on this forum have been quite helpful, but I refuse to engage in any further discussion with you. I just don't think you're adding any value to the discussion. Thank you for your input (for whatever it's worth) so far!

Old 03-20-2019, 04:38 AM

801 posts, read 612,220 times
Imfine has a point, just not a smooth-enough delivery for you to swallow.

You do come off as a braggart. This is why I suggested not talking about yourself unless asked... and to ask other people about themselves. It’s why I said to keep it light. You lean toward intense because your life experience has been but if you want real friends, you’re going to have to lighten up and calm.the.heck down. You’re successful, great. That’s great for you but no one else cares... and there will never be someone who genuinely will unless you’re able to really care about them instead of just you. You’re all about you. You're so about you that you vastly undervalue others and likely alienate them more than you realize.

Example: You previously brought up the process of tenure as being difficult for other people to understand. It isn't. At all. That's a silly, almost-offensive assumption. The vast majority of my friends are tenured professors, with a few stragglers trying to get their submissions in before 45 because they had families. It's not at all difficult to understand. For anyone. I'm a lowly high-school graduate who dropped out of college after sophomore year because I was bored and couldn't justify taking out student loans for nothing. (Sales are my "thing" and having a degree wasn't going to further my career prospects enough to stay.) I met them as a stay-at-home mom, who had time to attend interesting guest lectures when my children were in school and then old enough to be on their own in the evening or come along with me to events. I love languages and can get by on my own in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Polish, and three dialects of Arabic. I've traveled all over Europe and North Africa with those friends and have made amazing friendships. Some were startled that I wasn't a professor, of course, because I was there, looking the part and participating. In America and overseas. What I'm saying is: other people have stories to offer too, even if they don't have the pedigree you esteem so highly. Give them opportunities to share. You'll learn from them as much as they can learn from you.

There’s no studying that will help. Just stop talking about yourself (in person- obviously it's necessary here lol) so intensely and take a casual interest in other people as a long-term habit. Your social life will take off from there.

It's not that people are jealous of you; it's just that they're not vital to conversations you're having at them about yourself and opt out from future interactions where there might be more. Don't overshare in person... it generally makes people uncomfortable, even though they'd avoid saying so and would laugh it off and deny it if you asked.

Last edited by LieslMet; 03-20-2019 at 06:05 AM..

Old 03-20-2019, 06:31 AM

801 posts, read 612,220 times
At one point, everyone was ignorant. Learning from experiences is what changes that. Find more experiences and be open to new things. Keep going... you will never be filled. That's good! Don't stagnate, thinking you're at the top and few others have anything to offer.

Old 03-20-2019, 07:31 AM

109 posts, read 61,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
I love languages and can get by on my own in French, Spanish, Italian, German, Polish, and three dialects of Arabic.
Now, that is amazing. I feel so much respect for polyglots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post
It's not that people are jealous of you; it's just that they're not vital to conversations you're having at them about yourself and opt out from future interactions where there might be more. Don't overshare in person... it generally makes people uncomfortable, even though they'd avoid saying so and would laugh it off and deny it if you asked.
To me, if somebody brags about academic degree or academic success, I feel genuinely sorry for that person. I know that people get attached to what they do, but in my opinion, getting an academic degree requires too much time wasting and just filling up head with useless, and often invalid, knowledge. I know quite a few high profile academics who are some of the most closed-minded people I have ever met. And that's not surprising when we consider what it takes to get a degree.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology