Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2019, 08:44 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
To all..

I get that some of you are happy without kids, but I'm not. I live in a town where it's pretty mu j all families and that doesn't help matters. Making friends IS harder and I've lost friends when they got pregnant and decided they had nothing in common with me anymore. I have a big problem with the childfree movement because of some of the hateful rhetoric I see against people with children and children themselves.
I’m a childfree single man and I agree, there are lots of people in the childfree movement who are VERY abrasive. For me, its a matter of wanting to be free personally, but I don’t begrudge people with children. Children are a pleasure if you have the time and skill to raise them right.

I distance myself from the movement proper due to the inexplicable attacks on parents it engages in, despite de facto being in the movement myself.

Old 03-25-2019, 12:57 AM

1,672 posts, read 1,249,381 times
You'll face a stigma from the perpetually miserable no matter what you do in life-- whether you're a married parent, or singe and childless. People showing their disapproval of you only matters if you want it to matter.
(or they're actively discriminating against or physically harming you, in which case law and order gets involved).

Old 03-25-2019, 01:26 AM

8,659 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc17 View Post
You'll face a stigma from the perpetually miserable no matter what you do in life-- whether you're a married parent, or singe and childless. People showing their disapproval of you only matters if you want it to matter.
(or they're actively discriminating against or physically harming you, in which case law and order gets involved).
Don’t really have to ‘face it’ when we don’t know about stigmas - or don’t care.

Old 03-25-2019, 01:48 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
I live in a town full of mombies and it's depressing

Old 03-25-2019, 07:18 AM

1,609 posts, read 1,599,601 times
Quote:
No one wants to acknowledge this issue, but the stigma against single, childless people over 30 is real. Past 30, you're meant to have your Mod cut. together and be married with kids. If you're not, people see you as some sort of non adult and you end up losing friends when they get pregnant, as parents tend to only want to be friends with other parents and people change when they have kids. Dating becomes difficult too, because you're left with the people who are also not good enough to be part of society by following the plan. The childfree moment is a joke...these people are honestly just envious of parents like I am, but they won't admit it.
Saying “envious of parents like I am” is ambiguous.

Are you a parent who thinks people envy you -OR- are you a single, childless woman who is envious of those with children?

If finding quality men is your concern, you may need to travel to a huge mega-city to date. The more people in your area, the more people you can date. Alternatively, you could go to a dating site and only look for people in big cities. Just be sure to put your location as “New York, NY” or “Tokyo” or something.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 AM

801 posts, read 614,808 times
Quote:
I live in a town full of mombies and it's depressing
What does that even mean?

You start this whole thing about how you want to be a mom and the whole world is making you feel like you have a stigma... but it's just you, making yourself feel that way.

And now they're not moms but "mom-zombies?" What's that? You really want to be a part of that?

YOU have to find the life you want and no one else is going to help you do it. No one is going to want to let you latch onto them and into theirs either, if you don't even know what it is YOU want.

Old 03-26-2019, 02:14 AM

23,256 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post

You start this whole thing about how you want to be a mom and the whole world is making you feel like you have a stigma... but it's just you, making yourself feel that way.

And now they're not moms but "mom-zombies?" What's that? You really want to be a part of that?

YOU have to find the life you want and no one else is going to help you do it. No one is going to want to let you latch onto them and into theirs either, if you don't even know what it is YOU want.
Yep. You can be your own worst enemy OP.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:37 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LieslMet View Post

She's super special - want's to be a cool mom who's different than all the others...but only because SHE wants to be a mom. SHE's not reacting to society even though it's killing her to have kids? I dunno, OP has some growing up to do so she can make her own decisions and for the right reasons - she's just trying way too hard.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:42 AM

854 posts, read 520,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
She's super special - want's to be a cool mom who's different than all the others...but only because SHE wants to be a mom. SHE's not reacting to society even though it's killing her to have kids? I dunno, OP has some growing up to do so she can make her own decisions and for the right reasons - she's just trying way too hard.
Wow...thanks for judging me. You don't even know me to make those determinations.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:48 AM

4,696 posts, read 5,819,383 times
As a childless single person the only stigma I have ever gotten is from our rotten tax system that heavily discriminates against the childless. Nobody ever has judged me for being single and childless. I actually wished it happened sometimes because to me it shows they care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology