Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 07:58 AM

293 posts, read 190,986 times

Advertisements

(Please re-direct this to the proper sub if this place is not right)

I was flying from the west coast to the east coast last night (family/I am from the West Coast, but currently live on the east Coast). It was about a 4 hour and 30 minute flight, so not completely terrible.

I was watching a movie on the flight and fell asleep during it. When I woke up, I could feel my heart racing, but it also felt like I couldn't breathe and felt like I just couldn't catch my breath. Then I started getting chills, as well as I started sweating profusely. Then I started getting super light headed and felt like I was about to pass out, all while I was super nauseous.

I tried calling myself down by trying to control my breathing, as well as trying to fall back asleep for the remainder of the flight (there was about 45 minutes left in the flight when this was happening).

I have no idea what brought it on. I wasn't really thinking about anything that could have caused me anxiety.
I was coming home from a long-weekend home as I was home for my Grandmother's memorial service, so maybe it had something to do with that stress?

But is there any way that I can make sure that it doesn't happen again? Because it literally felt like I was about to die, it was really scary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2019, 08:18 AM

102,221 posts, read 107,999,816 times
If it happens again, talk to. your doctor about it. Or with your next check-up, bring it up. Do you recall having a bad dream? Maybe it was the altitude? Had you had any alcohol? I'm just guessing, obviously. I think you tried the right thing; slow, deep breathing--basically, your only recourse. When did the symptoms finally stop?

Old 05-16-2019, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
If it happens again, talk to. your doctor about it. Or with your next check-up, bring it up. Do you recall having a bad dream? Maybe it was the altitude? Had you had any alcohol? I'm just guessing, obviously. I think you tried the right thing; slow, deep breathing--basically, your only recourse. When did the symptoms finally stop?
Maybe the altitude? But I've flown hundreds of times before and it has never been an issue. No bad dream I can recall. Nope, no alcohol. I rarely drink

The bad symptoms kind of stopped after landing, but I still felt really anxious/worked up for the rest of the night. I could barely fall asleep

Old 05-16-2019, 09:22 AM

622 posts, read 396,452 times
Do you suffer from sleep apnea? Cessation of breathing and the subsequent loss of oxygen can trigger an anxiety attack. As can an irregular heartbeat.

Also, you may have had an upsetting dream and just don't remember it.

I hope it doesn't happen again. If it does then you should discuss it with your doctor. Good luck!

Old 05-16-2019, 09:39 AM

27,073 posts, read 11,874,855 times
Then again could BE a panic attack, which would be exacerbated by the stress regarding your grandmother. I'd talk with my MD. It DOES feel like you are going to die, pass out. Deep breathing best method to reduce symptoms.

I was in NYC at a Broadway show when I had to leave and go to the lobby to lie down as the feelings of faintness were so great....

Old 05-16-2019, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Ree View Post
Do you suffer from sleep apnea? Cessation of breathing and the subsequent loss of oxygen can trigger an anxiety attack. As can an irregular heartbeat.

Also, you may have had an upsetting dream and just don't remember it.

I hope it doesn't happen again. If it does then you should discuss it with your doctor. Good luck!
No I don't have sleep apnea, thankfully.

Okay that is a good idea, thank you

Old 05-16-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Then again could BE a panic attack, which would be exacerbated by the stress regarding your grandmother. I'd talk with my MD. It DOES feel like you are going to die, pass out. Deep breathing best method to reduce symptoms.

I was in NYC at a Broadway show when I had to leave and go to the lobby to lie down as the feelings of faintness were so great....
It is so scary! I swear I did pass out. I remember feeling panicked and unable to breath, and then (what felt like) seconds later I woke up with my head having fallen forward.

If it happens again, I'll call a doctor

Old 05-16-2019, 01:08 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,465,685 times
The mayo clinic would love to have that million dollar question answered "how to never experience that attack again"". .

I suffer from ptsd...so I empathize with how it comes out of no where. My doctor made it clear that some anxiety is necessary....a fire will cause your anxiety..so you flee. It's a mechanism. So I no longer consider my episodes unmanageable to the point I pass out or get chest pains. I do yoga and have taken up some sensation therapy. Do you know that pinching between the thumb and index will create endorphins to ease the anxiety imbalance? There is also places between your toes that are nerve aides to soothe the episode.
My doctor would get a chuckle if I called him each time I had a "moment'. He thankfully doesn't push pills ...he recommends a cocktail of ...changing environment,diet , exercise and a form of meditation....and yes sometimes avoiding places or ppl.that are triggers .

Old 05-16-2019, 01:12 PM

3,024 posts, read 2,243,900 times
Is it possible you had low blood sugar and/or low blood pressure? Panic attacks apparently feel like heart attacks with a "sense of impending doom." But what you described sounds exactly how I feel before passing out from low blood sugar.

Old 05-16-2019, 01:28 PM

12,229 posts, read 21,517,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
The mayo clinic would love to have that million dollar question answered "how to never experience that attack again"". .

Do you know that pinching between the thumb and index will create endorphins to ease the anxiety imbalance? There is also places between your toes that are nerve aides to soothe the episode.
My doctor would get a chuckle if I called him each time I had a "moment'. He thankfully doesn't push pills ...he recommends a cocktail of ...changing environment,diet , exercise and a form of meditation....and yes sometimes avoiding places or ppl.that are triggers .
How much pressure do you apply to the hand when you're pinching that spot? Enough to hurt a little or less?

I used to suffer from panic attacks pretty regularly. I learned reduce stressors and to recognize early physical signs so I can take measures to calm myself before it becomes full-blown, but I certainly could have a full attack again some time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology