Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2019, 06:38 PM

3,318 posts, read 1,818,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
If you’re driving 100+ on 95, you’re forcing others to share your high risk behavior. I hope you get a ticket soon before you kill someone.
Honestly, in a decent vehicle, like a Lexus or BMW, Camaro, etc. it is no big deal to top 100 in low traffic straightaways on I-95. My car creeps up to 90+ unexpectedly when trafic is moving 'briskly'.
Of course it's illegal... I don't recommend it... but it IS fun.

Now I've gone 122+ in an Audi R8 on the track the first and only time I drove it.
But that had curves and was a totally new experience.
I intend to blow by that number this year.

But financially I take much less risk..so no more bitcoin games for me 'cause I'm retired now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2019, 09:52 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
*orientation

And yeah sure, most people use their career to determine their risk orientation

I still dont quite get it...but OK.

I'd say I fall into the "moderate risk" bracket.

I take chances that some other people don't/won't. Like...I like walking at night, alone. Unless someone's garage door is open...I've developed a phobia about that in the last few years.

I also like walking on nature trails by myself. I'm always getting warnings from friends and family about that...but the way I feel about it, if I had to wait for someone else to join me, I'd never get to walk on a nature trail again...so...I go.

I routinely go over the speed limit. I'm one of those people who consider speed limit signs as suggestions. Typically, in subdivisions I strictly obey the speed limits...too many kids out playing. But on the highway? I typically drive 70 or 75 in a 60 mph zone.

But I'm never going to sky dive. I'm never going to Parkour. Heck, I'll probably never put on a pair of roller skates again.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:00 AM

2,362 posts, read 1,924,287 times
low low low risk

Old 03-19-2019, 10:03 AM

8,085 posts, read 5,249,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Just show us your class assignment instead of condescending on everyone.
I'm going with "home schooled".

Old 03-19-2019, 10:12 AM

10,557 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:

High risk..., if you are some sort of blue collar worker this one would fit for you for sure

You got the confidence to engage in risky and phyisical activity constantly and aren't afraid to do so:

A risky physical activity would be free soloing. Plumbing? Not so much.

I consider myself to be quite physical, though not professionally, yet oriented to being low risk in just about every aspect of life.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:33 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times
I couldn't place myself as high or low, I am very risk tolerant in some aspects and very risk avoidant in others.

Some things I don't see as risky at all. I've got no concern about roller coasters, zip lining, flying in a plane. Some people might find such activities frightening, but statistically the odds of being harmed or killed in these situations is very, very low. Driving your car is vastly more dangerous. But people have the ILLUSION of control and safety when they drive around in a car, and the feeling of helplessness and therefore risk when doing those other things. But it's just not that dangerous.

So if I intellectually assess a situation and determine that the danger isn't real, and it's not likely I'll come to harm, and I want to do the thing...I'm gonna do the thing. And I really do enjoy poking my brain for natural chemical highs, so roller coasters are a favorite thing for me. The main risk there is that I'll suffer boredom while waiting in the line.

I have a certain confidence in my situational awareness, how I assess and interact with others, and my own mastery of non-verbal communication, and while I know that random violence could still do me in, I've been willing to be in my mosh pits many times, walking cities at night many places, many times...certain risks with my concert habits exist. I've taken them.

I've also got a history during certain brief but intense periods in my life of taking sexual risks. But I have always tried to be responsible enough to mitigate the risk levels with protection and testing. I was willing to accept risk to myself but I did not want to risk other people, mainly. I've done things that some people think are a sure way to end up dead or diseased or something, and those outcomes have not come to pass. But I took great harm from doing the sexual lifestyle everyone rates as the best and safest gold standard for a woman in our society, the long term married het-mono relationship. That damaged me for sure, if not necessarily in the "death or disease" ways. But I have to conclude that the way people think things are...isn't always the way things are. What is seen as wrong and risky...might not be as bad as what is seen as perfectly right and safe. We're rolling the dice, we don't know how they'll land.

But I am fairly risk INTOLERANT when it comes to finances and career. I've longed for a career change, I never really dreamed of being where I'm at, doing what I do. But it is the safe, responsible path. I don't tolerate risk in that area of my life because I've got sons still counting on me for support. Once they are on their own though...we'll see. I've considered other options. But I will spend years looking and looking before I leap where that's concerned. It's nice getting a reliable paycheck, and very risky to go into business for yourself.

Where alcohol is concerned, my risk tolerance is exactly zero. I have never been drunk. I never will. I've enjoyed hallucinogens in the past, and I've smoked enough pot when I was younger to know that I have no time for it and no interest in it now. I would do LSD again if I had access to it and a free and clear weekend. It was fun. But so long as it's in a very controlled environment, despite the illegality of it, I don't see it as a risky activity. And I'm perfectly fine being generally sober in life. I don't feel much pull to intoxicate myself. I just recall enjoying looking at pretty colors that don't really exist.

I'm not into gambling. At all.

I guess part of what confuses me about this, is that what one person considers risky, another sees as completely safe and no risk at all. Harmless entertainment. If you don't believe it's a risk, are you being risk tolerant if you do it?

And you talk about highly physical blue collar work as being "risk tolerant" in almost tones of admiration. What if physical abilities just aren't a person's strong suit? What if someone is more intellectual? What if people are just doing what they're good at, choosing based on aptitude and earning potential? Seems that going into a career that best uses your strengths rather than chancing it that you can develop what it takes to succeed in another field you aren't good at, would be a pretty low-risk choice if you ask me. Less risk of failure.

Old 03-19-2019, 10:40 AM

50,785 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
I couldn't place myself as high or low, I am very risk tolerant in some aspects and very risk avoidant in others.

Some things I don't see as risky at all. I've got no concern about roller coasters, zip lining, flying in a plane. Some people might find such activities frightening, but statistically the odds of being harmed or killed in these situations is very, very low. Driving your car is vastly more dangerous. But people have the ILLUSION of control and safety when they drive around in a car, and the feeling of helplessness and therefore risk when doing those other things. But it's just not that dangerous.

So if I intellectually assess a situation and determine that the danger isn't real, and it's not likely I'll come to harm, and I want to do the thing...I'm gonna do the thing. And I really do enjoy poking my brain for natural chemical highs, so roller coasters are a favorite thing for me. The main risk there is that I'll suffer boredom while waiting in the line.

I have a certain confidence in my situational awareness, how I assess and interact with others, and my own mastery of non-verbal communication, and while I know that random violence could still do me in, I've been willing to be in my mosh pits many times, walking cities at night many places, many times...certain risks with my concert habits exist. I've taken them.

I've also got a history during certain brief but intense periods in my life of taking sexual risks. But I have always tried to be responsible enough to mitigate the risk levels with protection and testing. I was willing to accept risk to myself but I did not want to risk other people, mainly. I've done things that some people think are a sure way to end up dead or diseased or something, and those outcomes have not come to pass. But I took great harm from doing the sexual lifestyle everyone rates as the best and safest gold standard for a woman in our society, the long term married het-mono relationship. That damaged me for sure, if not necessarily in the "death or disease" ways. But I have to conclude that the way people think things are...isn't always the way things are. What is seen as wrong and risky...might not be as bad as what is seen as perfectly right and safe. We're rolling the dice, we don't know how they'll land.

But I am fairly risk INTOLERANT when it comes to finances and career. I've longed for a career change, I never really dreamed of being where I'm at, doing what I do. But it is the safe, responsible path. I don't tolerate risk in that area of my life because I've got sons still counting on me for support. Once they are on their own though...we'll see. I've considered other options. But I will spend years looking and looking before I leap where that's concerned. It's nice getting a reliable paycheck, and very risky to go into business for yourself.

Where alcohol is concerned, my risk tolerance is exactly zero. I have never been drunk. I never will. I've enjoyed hallucinogens in the past, and I've smoked enough pot when I was younger to know that I have no time for it and no interest in it now. I would do LSD again if I had access to it and a free and clear weekend. It was fun. But so long as it's in a very controlled environment, despite the illegality of it, I don't see it as a risky activity. And I'm perfectly fine being generally sober in life. I don't feel much pull to intoxicate myself. I just recall enjoying looking at pretty colors that don't really exist.

I'm not into gambling. At all.

I guess part of what confuses me about this, is that what one person considers risky, another sees as completely safe and no risk at all. Harmless entertainment. If you don't believe it's a risk, are you being risk tolerant if you do it?

And you talk about highly physical blue collar work as being "risk tolerant" in almost tones of admiration. What if physical abilities just aren't a person's strong suit? What if someone is more intellectual? What if people are just doing what they're good at, choosing based on aptitude and earning potential? Seems that going into a career that best uses your strengths rather than chancing it that you can develop what it takes to succeed in another field you aren't good at, would be a pretty low-risk choice if you ask me. Less risk of failure.
In my opinion, risk-taking only applies if the person doing it believes it is risky. For instance, being a cab driver or an electrical linesman both higher risk jobs then being a cop is statistically. Yet most people deciding to be a cop would be a more high-risk tolerant personality.

I think everyone engages in degrees of high-risk behavior, but there are I think personality set points were people are either low or high risk people overall. I speed in my car, but I don’t feel like I’m taking a risk when I’m doing it so I don’t think that makes me a person who enjoys taking risks.

So again, I do take risks in some areas, however I am in general a very low risk person. My BFF on the other hand, seem to need to take risks to feel alive when we were younger. Whether it was going 110 miles an hour down the road in some 17 year olds car or jumping out of planes to skiing the Black Diamond ski mountains without fear (while I was terrified on the green dot mountains which are easiest LOL). She’s a high-risk tolerant personality. Most of the people at the drop zone where her team was were very similar. They would do things like light rolls of toilet paper on fire and play soccer with them. I sat on the sidelines and watched.

Even now, she does not do dangerous things anymore because she has children, but when she does stock investing she likes to daytrade. She likes the excitement of buying and selling in an instant. While I buy mutual funds. I don’t like excitement, LOL.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 03-19-2019 at 10:51 AM..

Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Oh, I guess pretty high-risk, by most people's standards.

Retiring out of the safety cocoon of the U.S. to So. America would be too risky for most.

Never had a career or retirement savings---just adventuring with low-level jobs. Lived without plumbing or electricity, far from medical, for many years. Sexually risky in the past.

Hobbies, some were. Horses, flying, ice-sailing, rafting, hiking by cliffs in remote areas. I do like roller coasters and zip-lining but probably done with them. Hiking out to poke the flowing lava seems risky in hind-sight.

Our risks are a little more low-key now: traveling to foreign countries and staying in privately-owned apartments more than hotels. That's a risk, but has worked out so far.

No regrets: tried all I wanted to try, so no feeling of: "I wish I had...."

Old 03-19-2019, 11:45 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,435,815 times
Quote:
Use your latest achievements, events and occasions to determine the answer to this question
I don't know, but my TrueScore according to my car insurer is 9 out of a possible 10.

Old 03-19-2019, 12:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
Oh, I guess pretty high-risk, by most people's standards.

Retiring out of the safety cocoon of the U.S. to So. America would be too risky for most.

Never had a career or retirement savings---just adventuring with low-level jobs. Lived without plumbing or electricity, far from medical, for many years. Sexually risky in the past.

Hobbies, some were. Horses, flying, ice-sailing, rafting, hiking by cliffs in remote areas. I do like roller coasters and zip-lining but probably done with them. Hiking out to poke the flowing lava seems risky in hind-sight.

Our risks are a little more low-key now: traveling to foreign countries and staying in privately-owned apartments more than hotels. That's a risk, but has worked out so far.

No regrets: tried all I wanted to try, so no feeling of: "I wish I had...."

I bet you have a million stories. :-) You've done things I would never do...but it sounds really cool. lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology