Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times

Advertisements

Use your latest achievements, events and occasions to determine the answer to this question
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2019, 03:24 AM

61,723 posts, read 87,147,355 times
What do you meant with "risk orientation". Is that your school assignment?
Perhaps you should start first...

Old 03-17-2019, 08:01 AM

854 posts, read 520,601 times
This sounds like some sort of boring corporate exercise

Old 03-17-2019, 10:41 AM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Yes I don’t understand the question either.

Old 03-17-2019, 11:52 AM

356 posts, read 175,977 times
Teenage angst

Old 03-17-2019, 11:56 AM

3,255 posts, read 1,720,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Yes I don’t understand the question either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
What do you meant with "risk orientation". Is that your school assignment?
Perhaps you should start first...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
This sounds like some sort of boring corporate exercise
Alright since it seems not many people know the term

Basically how would you rate your risk-taking habits and behaviors

If you have low risk-orientation, you hardly engage in serious physical stuff

If you have medium risk orientation, you have the ability to engage in some serious or dangerous stuff from time to time, but only in like moderation

High risk moderation is the extreme choice here, if you are some sort of blue collar worker this one would fit for you for sure

You got the confidence to engage in risky and phyisical activity constantly and aren't afraid to do so

Is that understood or clear

Old 03-17-2019, 12:32 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciano700 View Post
Alright since it seems not many people know the term

Basically how would you rate your risk-taking habits and behaviors

If you have low risk-orientation, you hardly engage in serious physical stuff

If you have medium risk orientation, you have the ability to engage in some serious or dangerous stuff from time to time, but only in like moderation

High risk moderation is the extreme choice here, if you are some sort of blue collar worker this one would fit for you for sure

You got the confidence to engage in risky and phyisical activity constantly and aren't afraid to do so

Is that understood or clear
Mine is low. I’m Miss Cautious, and am always acting like “The Mom”, i.e. “No, we are not doing that, it’s not safe!” I never liked big roller coasters, even skiing I was scared the whole time. My bf wants to go ziplining when we go on vacation next month, but there’s no way I will go. My bff was always an adrenaline junkie. She was on a skydiving team. I refused to try it even once. As teens in a friends new Camaro, she’d be going “Let’s see if it really goes 150!” and I’d be pleading with him not to and yelling to be let out of the car, lol. I do t even like to fly.

However, when I had my own fast car (an ‘89 Trans Am) I drove it fast, so I think a lot of it is whether or not I feel like it’s me in control or not. I’ve also done other risky things when it’s me in control of it.

My mother is dysfunctionally risk-averse, and raised me to be afraid of things. The first time I took a train with her, at the station she told me s charming story about a man who was pushing people in front of trains, because she wanted me to stay away from the edge of the platform. I was probably 6 or so. To this day I stand on the bottom step of the stairs until the train comes to a stop.

Old 03-17-2019, 02:02 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
In finances- EXTREME LOW risk. Cant stand the stock market or shell shuffle ...Much less the IRAs ...

In taking Life Risks- Career wise...No thanks! How often can a person fool themselves? Why yes I am XYZ material...Hire me! Ohh whats that you say...? Ohh you found a Better FIT? Oh I didnt realize this was fashion week in hiring....I don't care for rejection.

In Dating: Pretty outgoing in that matter...Reckon thats because I do not subscribe to the "Oh I'm from the other side of the tracks". I see folks as folks...Not the location or status quo. Authenticity can be nurtured in most places on this planet.

I do have a quasi extreme HIGH and EXTREME LOW in this: I will speak up in an instant against an injustice for a group, Yet I CANNOT bring myself to speak up for myself when an injustice is set about involving something that AFFECTS directly my life...from job to well being....I risk not putting myself first. Guess its engrained that its SELFISH to do so, yet if done for others its ok.

So on average..i'm all over the place lol!

Old 03-17-2019, 02:55 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
I don't know. I used to be a smoker. That was high risk. Still might pay for it healthwise but so far, so good.

I won't go on a roller coaster or bungee jump. I travel distances alone, though.

By the way, I don't necessarily agree that high-risk always means physically risky. A person can sit on their butt and gamble their paycheck. That's a high-risk person, but not putting themselves in physical danger unless their habit causes them to borrow from a loan shark.

Old 03-17-2019, 05:50 PM

23,306 posts, read 18,837,889 times
I don't think my opinion about what is more or less risky has changed much over the years, but what has changed is how willing I am to spend time being anxious about a decision I need to make. How much time do I want to spend agonizing over what might go wrong if I do it? How willing am I to second guess myself? If I decide I don't want to worry about consequences I may choose a safer option to avoid the stress, not the risk itself.

But then, I don't choose to worry overmuch about whether I understood the OP's weird question.

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-17-2019 at 06:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology