Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2019, 10:10 AM

38 posts, read 62,714 times

Advertisements

I speak English in a heavy foreign accent. It's been like that since middle school. In almost every conversation, people are always asking me to repeat myself a few more times in order for them to get a clear idea of what I said.

I currently work in Finance/Accounting and it has become obvious that I'll have a tough time getting further in my career if I don't address this issue.

I am thinking of doing 1on1 speech therapy for accent modification/reduction. Has anyone ever tried this? It'd be nice to hear from people who were in my situation.

Enrolling in a speech therapy program is costly in my area. I can't afford to do it if it won't produce results. I don't trust online reviews/testimonials since anyone can pay anyone a few bucks to just post them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 10:23 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,944,601 times
I had a colleague from India who did it for 4 sessions. He also joined a local group called Toastmasters that helps people with public speaking.

He still has a strong accent, but he said it helped him recognize and correct the speech patterns that were most problematic for listeners.

Old 03-29-2019, 10:32 AM

2,609 posts, read 2,190,478 times
OkIt must help some people. When I was in High School there was an exchange student from Germany. You could hardly tell he had an accent. He did go to a speech therapist, or some such professional. He said it did take a bit of practice and patience, not a over night thing. A lot of exercises working on pronunciaton. Are there therapists who specialize in that particle field? Maybe a actors studio may know someone. I'm amazed when an actor on screen will have no accent then are interviewed and have a heavy English accent.

Old 11-08-2019, 02:06 AM

4 posts, read 1,771 times
It can help you in accent reduction. Speech professionals can help you out with this problem. You must explain your condition to them. Heavy accent can obviously confuse people and you become unable to express your ideas. Go and get necessary help from speech therapist.

Old 11-08-2019, 03:50 AM

7,650 posts, read 4,599,879 times
I had a friend in admissions at a college where Accent Reduction was offered as a course. It was the first to get booked every semester.

If you think of how an actor/actress has to learn to speak with an accent, you can use the same skills to basically acquire an American accent. For example, say something to yourself aloud using the bottom of your throat to enunciate...move your lips very little. Now move that enunciation point further up to the mouth and eventually end on the tips of your tongue and lips. At the end it's much crisper and cleaner....it's easier to sound British whereas the former is easier to sound Southern if you add a drawl aspect in the right places.

At any rate, if you can reduce where you accent, a few sounding items and volume control, you'll be well on your way to reducing your accent.

Old 11-09-2019, 12:32 PM

50,795 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_E View Post
I speak English in a heavy foreign accent. It's been like that since middle school. In almost every conversation, people are always asking me to repeat myself a few more times in order for them to get a clear idea of what I said.

I currently work in Finance/Accounting and it has become obvious that I'll have a tough time getting further in my career if I don't address this issue.

I am thinking of doing 1on1 speech therapy for accent modification/reduction. Has anyone ever tried this? It'd be nice to hear from people who were in my situation.

Enrolling in a speech therapy program is costly in my area. I can't afford to do it if it won't produce results. I don't trust online reviews/testimonials since anyone can pay anyone a few bucks to just post them.
You may not need an actual speech therapist to do this. Actors hire vocal coaches all the time to get rid of accents or to conversely affect accents for certain roles. Have you looked at vocal coaches in your area?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology