Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2019, 02:54 PM

61,736 posts, read 87,172,581 times

Advertisements

Why so many average, to downright incompetent, men get promoted into positions of leadership as if it’s their birthright?

https://www.theladders.com/career-ad...ship-positions
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2019, 03:39 PM

801 posts, read 615,785 times
Good points... but I think there's one glaring issue: the people in charge of making this change are those very "leaders"... right up to the top. They're not going to turn a spotlight on themselves. People in charge, like this, do not like anyone in their team to be better than them. And really, it's not hard to be better than them in most things. They don't want to promote the ones better than them; it's competition. Their inadequacies will be glaringly obvious.

This is similar to the "man-cold." I've been hired for many "challenging" positions, formerly held by men. What a joke. There was so much down time, and especially so once the unnecessary issues were actually resolved. Plenty of time to tackle the projects and new business that had been "put off for years." Did they allow things to escalate, just so they'd have something to do? But oddly enough, ACTING overworked while doing little work earned them praise... while my being calm and in command of the department earned me, "Well, since you've made your numbers, here's another department. If you're so good at fixing things, go fix this!" Doing TOO well (ie ideal) is essentially punished.

And these idiots are in charge.

I am *finally* working for a woman who doesn't want to make other women eat $h** like she did, to be promoted. 40 women and 4 men in this office, working together like a well-oiled machine. She hires on ability and social SKILL... because anyone with aptitude can be trained to do the job. No one leaves; they just suck in more good people, treat them well, pay them well enough that they don't leave, and keep expanding. She's a good one.

Old 03-30-2019, 05:17 AM

7,595 posts, read 4,165,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why so many average, to downright incompetent, men get promoted into positions of leadership as if it’s their birthright?

I always thought those positions are reserved for "friends", people who look the other way.

Old 03-31-2019, 06:11 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,232,757 times
I once read a quote when I was young " when you live or work with someone you usually have to deal/take on their own insecurities/fears...

I thought that was a short sided quote but the older I get their is some truth to it

two types of bosses....one is being part of the crew ...earning respect of the crew- and talks up the team... not himself/herself because ultimately the team reflects him/her these are bosses with leadership skills....but also good people.

the other type boss..... is one that will step on and use his/her crew to advance himself to make look better...all about him.. to upper management..,,these are usually the insecure dicks...

it does depend on the company …. or place...of work of course..

Old 03-31-2019, 11:48 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,764,479 times
The last 10 yrs of my working life, I think I had all women bosses and omg...what experiences.

My major work life were all male bosses and they were trouble too.

The best boss is oneself.

Old 03-31-2019, 02:36 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
The worst boss ever—the incompetent who has no idea of their incompetence.

The next worst boss—the insecure and/or volatile boss.

So glad to be safely retired.

Old 03-31-2019, 04:19 PM

3,372 posts, read 1,567,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post

I'm pretty #offended about this sexist article. Seems like they have an agenda against men. Not a surprise in today's PC overdrive. Incompetent men AND women get promoted a lot of time because they are good at sucking up, playing the corporate suck game, and they have charming interpersonal skills to get what they want.

Old 03-31-2019, 05:06 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I'm pretty #offended about this sexist article. Seems like they have an agenda against men. Not a surprise in today's PC overdrive. Incompetent men AND women get promoted a lot of time because they are good at sucking up, playing the corporate suck game, and they have charming interpersonal skills to get what they want.
Did you read the article? They pointed out data and metrics. There is no agenda against men.

Do you cry sexism when it's explained that women make less money than men. Do you cry sexism when it's pointed out the number of women CEOs? Do you cry sexism when they count up the number of congress people and senators who are women?

Everyone is aware of the historical and current inequalities between men and women is almost every area of life. Have you been waving the sexism banner for years?

Old 03-31-2019, 08:33 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,794,522 times
My boss at my previous company was handed his position because he was friends with the owner. Not that he wasn't smart, but he could be indecisive and blame others for poor decisions and conveniently forget he signed off on them. I finally left after he overruled me on the person I wanted to hire. I took another guy I hired years ago with me. But now we have another bad boss who is cheap and moody. Its disappointing and frustrating. He presented him self one way in the interview and is the total opposite in reality.

Old 04-01-2019, 10:03 AM

780 posts, read 425,856 times
I'll preface this by telling you that I'm a guy.

I've had bad bosses of either gender. At my last company, I had incompetent men and women managers. The male manager I had for the longest period just seemed aloof. He was a nice enough person, he just couldn't get anything done for us, or was too lazy to put in the effort; I couldn't tell which. The female manager that came in near the tail end of my tenure had little accountability. She abused her authority and treated us like children, and there was not much we could do about it, because she had the backing of a C-level exec (her former boss). She was the ultimate reason I left.

At my current job, my manager is a woman, and I absolutely adore her. She treats you like an adult, she supports us when we have issues/barriers, and she is always a positive force in our group. She's mama bear and we're her cubs. She has created such a dynamic that I simply don't want to let her down and will do what I need to in order to make her a successful manager.

Last edited by Sir Quotes A Lot; 04-01-2019 at 10:27 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology