Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 08:48 AM

27,074 posts, read 11,852,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiGi603 View Post
I don't feel like the OP was looking for validation. I am happy the OP started the thread. It is nice to know other people feel that way, are that way.

It is a Community here--sometimes one just likes to post their thoughts and feelings. See if others feel the same way. I was happy to see this post.

Agree....not asking for validation.

Good thread...did I mention the book QUIET? It's about loners and the benefits of being same. Nice to read if you feel the least bit self conscious about your need for quiet. A positive book on the benefits of
solitary existence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2019, 09:40 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,792,197 times
You're a text book introvert nng, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just the way you're wired. I like being alone sometimes, but I'm an extrovert. Being alone for great lengths of time bores me. That's just the way I'm wired. My husband is an introvert living with an extrovert and it can be over whelming for him. He hates parties and can't wait to retreat to his room with his computer. He understands that he's just not enough company for me. Being polar opposites has it's disadvantages, but it also has advantages as well. John loves roller skating and he would never have tried it if those three crazy girls that used to spend the night with us hadn't suggested it. People can also broaden your horizons and be a lot of fun.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:52 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,076,440 times
I don't mind just spending time with me. I was always quiet and awkward in social situation, but I still enjoy/need human interaction. I wanted to truly be a loner I wouldn't be active on a forum such as this. It's a way to interact with others, just not in a physical shared space.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:53 AM

4,271 posts, read 6,296,510 times
I'm not a true loner, but I do love my quiet time when no one else is around. I try to plan days off from work around when my husband will be out of town and my kids at school all day - this way I get a solid block of a 8-9 hours where I don't have to deal with anyone/anything except my dog, and he's not much of a talker.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:12 PM

356 posts, read 175,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl View Post
I'm not a true loner, but I do love my quiet time when no one else is around. I try to plan days off from work around when my husband will be out of town and my kids at school all day - this way I get a solid block of a 8-9 hours where I don't have to deal with anyone/anything except my dog, and he's not much of a talker.
This, exactly this.

I'm not a loner either. But I recognize that it's good for one's physical and mental health to be comfortable being alone from time to time. It's recharge time.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:35 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,474 times
A therapist changed my life one day by saying, "there's nothing wrong with you. Your extroverted friends are in the wrong for believing their way is the ONLY way and the RIGHT way". A huge weight fell off my shoulders and for the first time in my life, I accepted me as me and started living how I wanted to. I started creating boundaries (like not going out on Sunday's), dropping friends who drain me or cutting way back on how often I see them, etc.

I have a BF who's as much an introvert, loner, anti-social, homebody as I am and it works really well. Great conversations, lots of quiet time, no need to talk if we don't want to, we can do our own thing, etc. No one is needy. I've dated way too many needy extroverts. LOL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes, I am. Very much so. Generally people with their little whinny problems bore me to death. They talk to much, they want attention. I have to deal with them during my work hours, but when I come home, I want solitude.
It's so rare that I find myself stimulated by a conversation with someone. Most of them have no interests, are not curious, they don't read anymore, they don't ponder. They just repeat BS heard on media, carry on a mindless small talk or complain about everything.
I have very hard time finding any mutual interests.
I will actively avoid neighbors and some friends where I know the conversation will be about their messed up lovelife, kids, cooking, the latest gadget they bought, celebrities, some stupid first world problems or gossip. Dumb stuff.
It's so rare nowadays for me to meet someone who says something new and interesting and whose company I could truly enjoy.

I am not an introvert, but I am perfectly happy in my own company. At least I am not dumbing myself down
You would love talking to my BF. He gets irritated with me because I don't want to be so deep 24/7. I have a demanding and mentally draining job, so while I'm at work using my brain all day, he's not. And when I get home, I just want to stop thinking for a bit and veg out, whereas, he wants to "talk". He also gets irritated with me when I watch stupid tv shows (again, so my brain can relax a bit). LOL.

Old 04-08-2019, 02:52 PM

4,186 posts, read 3,399,821 times
People, people, people. Please stop conflating introverts with socially awkward misanthropic loners and vice versa.

Old 04-08-2019, 06:21 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,433,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonchalance View Post
People, people, people. Please stop conflating introverts with socially awkward misanthropic loners and vice versa.
I think this thread is where many are learning the difference. Let it ride and touch as many minds as it can.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:38 PM

7,887 posts, read 11,407,065 times
My wife and I both are more than content being by ourselves at home or out. I like people and am outgou g but enjoy our company of 2. It's more than being content this us how we prefer being.

I find this truer as we she too.

Old 04-08-2019, 09:53 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,658,400 times
I like being alone but I do wish I have more friends. I recently moved to a new city so I'm starting over. However, I do not want a relationship because people are dishonest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology