Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 09:20 AM

20,364 posts, read 14,636,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
Interesting how we're all different. Yeah, I think mine has to be unpredictable, but not in a big way. Just that I can't predict where Bob Ross will paint the next cloud or tree, or exactly where someone will touch me next.

For me, it is completely separate from sex, I think.

Anyhow, I am thinking that we would be very cheap dates! No expensive theatre or dinner required. For you, just provide some ticking and humming, for me just let me watch as you clean your keyboard. Ahhhhhh.
LOL...for real though. I'm seriously considering finding ways to get some ASMR incorporated into a "scene" which is what BDSM people call a session of any kind of play. Doesn't ever have to be sexual or pain related. We had one this weekend at an event where a blindfolded gal was on a table, and select friends (trusted people, invite only) did "sensation" like a tinsel pom-pom, a comb, a feather duster, just gentle touch things on her. Nothing sexual. She kept her undergarments on. Just nice feels. Her partner presided over the whole thing to make sure everyone followed her rules (such as no touching the feet.)

This sort of stuff is right up our alley, for me and my happy, weirdo friends. I might one day set up an ASMR room in my house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2019, 10:38 AM

780 posts, read 425,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
LOL...for real though. I'm seriously considering finding ways to get some ASMR incorporated into a "scene" which is what BDSM people call a session of any kind of play. Doesn't ever have to be sexual or pain related. We had one this weekend at an event where a blindfolded gal was on a table, and select friends (trusted people, invite only) did "sensation" like a tinsel pom-pom, a comb, a feather duster, just gentle touch things on her. Nothing sexual. She kept her undergarments on. Just nice feels. Her partner presided over the whole thing to make sure everyone followed her rules (such as no touching the feet.)

This sort of stuff is right up our alley, for me and my happy, weirdo friends. I might one day set up an ASMR room in my house.
This ASMR creator talks a little bit about a live event he participated in.

So it seems like maybe what you're talking about exists to some extent, though probably not very common. Truth be told, it'd probably be at the type of holistic healing events that I wouldn't generally don't go to. But it might be worth checking out just for this sort of thing.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:23 AM

Interesting. Yeah I think that I could find people in my own circles who could separate it from the "woo woo" stuff.

I mean I'd pay a palm reader (a smallish amount of money) just for the ASMR trip I'd likely get from the experience but I wouldn't care what they were saying. But I'd much rather get a friend or a small group, probably the hypnotism enthusiasts I know, to do this kind of thing. Actually the hypno people have conventions, I bet that there are folks talking about ASMR at those events, too.

LOL the last time I went to one of their hypnosis classes (because I had friends who were going) I was sitting a bit too comfortably on a cushy couch and they were doing a "group induction" trying to hypnotize everyone in the room, and I fell asleep. Later I told my friend about that and he said, "But DID you? Maybe you were really hypnotized!" and I was like, nah dude I'm pretty sure I was snoozing. And really though if one feels no different from the other, why bother with hypno, I'll just go take a nap.

Mmmm...naps...

Old 04-15-2019, 11:25 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,414,544 times
Quote:

ASMR could become the next big fad.

Old 04-15-2019, 11:47 AM

Quote:
ASMR could become the next big fad.
That's it! I'll become one of these reality TV home improvement gurus setting up ASMR chambers in people's homes. They will throw money at me and it will be wonderful.

Hey I dunno, it sounds silly, but the makers of these videos are doing alright for themselves!

Old 04-15-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
That's it! I'll become one of these reality TV home improvement gurus setting up ASMR chambers in people's homes. They will throw money at me and it will be wonderful.

Hey I dunno, it sounds silly, but the makers of these videos are doing alright for themselves!
Maybe somehow combine ASMR with feng shui?

Old 04-15-2019, 04:17 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Interesting how we're all different. Yeah, I think mine has to be unpredictable, but not in a big way. Just that I can't predict where Bob Ross will paint the next cloud or tree, or exactly where someone will touch me next.

I don't think I understand what this is.....Lol, not judging, just...Bob Ross, touching?

Old 04-15-2019, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I don't think I understand what this is.....Lol, not judging, just...Bob Ross, touching?
Yes. Sensory input that causes an altered brain state in those who experience this. (Obviously) not everyone does experience the phenomenon. For those who do, it is nearly hypnotic, euphoric, highly relaxing, and involves tingly sensations of the scalp and skin. Likely culprits, at least from what I have experienced and how it relates to other experiences that I better understand the reasons for, would be alterations to electrical and/or chemical activity in the brain leading to a temporary altered state.

Good4Nothin was talking about the stimuli that s/he most enjoys for this.

Many people find Bob Ross's painting shows to be very ASMR inducing. I don't. Good4Nothin apparently does.

Honestly if you don't read about ASMR and almost immediately go "OMG I've totally experienced that, did not know it was a THING!" then there's a good chance you just don't have whatever mechanism that trips for this. I suspect that those who find it strange or react with disbelief just aren't prone to it.

Just another of a million ways in which humans are not all exactly, cookie-cutter alike.

EDIT: Here... https://www.thelist.com/82546/untold-truth-asmr/

Old 04-15-2019, 04:38 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,570,402 times
Quote:
Yes. Sensory input that causes an altered brain state in those who experience this. (Obviously) not everyone does experience the phenomenon. For those who do, it is nearly hypnotic, euphoric, highly relaxing, and involves tingly sensations of the scalp and skin. Likely culprits, at least from what I have experienced and how it relates to other experiences that I better understand the reasons for, would be alterations to electrical and/or chemical activity in the brain leading to a temporary altered state.

Good4Nothin was talking about the stimuli that s/he most enjoys for this.

Many people find Bob Ross's painting shows to be very ASMR inducing. I don't. Good4Nothin apparently does.

Honestly if you don't read about ASMR and almost immediately go "OMG I've totally experienced that, did not know it was a THING!" then there's a good chance you just don't have whatever mechanism that trips for this. I suspect that those who find it strange or react with disbelief just aren't prone to it.

Just another of a million ways in which humans are not all exactly, cookie-cutter alike.

EDIT: Here... https://www.thelist.com/82546/untold-truth-asmr/
Ok....thank you! I must be 1 that hasn't had that kind of reaction...but I do feel relaxed by some sounds...

Old 04-15-2019, 05:03 PM

Since I recently found out that ASMR is a real thing, not just my personal quirk, I have been thinking about whether there are any ways to bring more of it into my life. If all I needed was a ticking clock, well I have that already. That would be easy.

But because I need the unpredictability factor, I need other people. Can't be just machines. Except of course youtube.

The Korean girl cleaning her keyboard was pretty good. But she doesn't make too many ASMR videos.

It might turn out that Bob Ross is better than a lot of these people trying to make money.

Well I'll just keep searching.

It is kind of funny how we can be triggered by such mundane things. For most people, it would be as boring as watching grass grow or paint dry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology