Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 09:42 AM

20,213 posts, read 14,439,908 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TashaPosh View Post
I'm trying to understand what the heck ASMR is...but reading this...I'm confused again. So it is a feeling...a sound...or a spiritual thing? I thought some people were describing it as "relaxing sounds".....
It is not a spiritual thing.

It is a brain thing.

I was only speculating that some of the sensory experiences that are done in conjunction with spiritual practices might have ancillary effects on the brain as such.

Kinda like how sitting on a hard wooden pew might make my backside hurt after a while. It isn't really part of the "spiritual experience" it is a physical effect that simply happened in a church and I then perceived it.

ASMR has nothing to do, really, with religion. I was just contemplating possible triggers for it. I could find them in a million possible contexts.

Oh! Thought of another one. When I was a kid riding in the back seat of my family's car, in the rain. The sounds of rain hitting the car and the windshield wipers, more than once, tripped the ASMR effect for me. This was rare because normally either music was on, or people were talking. But there were a few times when the adult(s) were being silent enough for it, that I remember well. It doesn't happen when I am the driver as I've been most of my adult life, since I'm too busy actively focusing on driving and everything to relax and focus on the rain and wiper sounds...I'm usually playing music or talking, too, anyhow.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2019, 10:47 AM

8,174 posts, read 3,368,696 times
I like the sound of rain, but it never gave me ASMR. I liked being in the car when I was a kid, as long as I wasn't car sick, but that didn't give me ASMR. I think that, for me, there must be another person involved.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:02 AM

9,297 posts, read 4,500,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic_Spork View Post
It is not a spiritual thing.

It is a brain thing.

I was only speculating that some of the sensory experiences that are done in conjunction with spiritual practices might have ancillary effects on the brain as such.

Kinda like how sitting on a hard wooden pew might make my backside hurt after a while. It isn't really part of the "spiritual experience" it is a physical effect that simply happened in a church and I then perceived it.

ASMR has nothing to do, really, with religion. I was just contemplating possible triggers for it. I could find them in a million possible contexts.

Oh! Thought of another one. When I was a kid riding in the back seat of my family's car, in the rain. The sounds of rain hitting the car and the windshield wipers, more than once, tripped the ASMR effect for me. This was rare because normally either music was on, or people were talking. But there were a few times when the adult(s) were being silent enough for it, that I remember well. It doesn't happen when I am the driver as I've been most of my adult life, since I'm too busy actively focusing on driving and everything to relax and focus on the rain and wiper sounds...I'm usually playing music or talking, too, anyhow.
Ok...thank you...I was confused when a different person brought up spiritual & thought maybe it was like meditating or relaxing for them...shrugs I am going to look at some of the videos today & see if I can understand it more.......

Old 04-17-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Ok...thank you...I was confused when a different person brought up spiritual & thought maybe it was like meditating or relaxing for them...shrugs I am going to look at some of the videos today & see if I can understand it more.......
There are some similarities between ASMR and meditation. Both can give you a very relaxed floaty feeling. But with ASMR, for me, there is also some kind of movement or sensation. Like if I watch a video of someone brushing someone's hair, I get a definite sensation and feel the motion of the brush. If I watch a painting video, I feel the paintbrush on the canvas, while hearing it.

Old 04-17-2019, 04:31 PM

780 posts, read 421,049 times
Quote:
Some people get 'tingles' which I know what they mean by that, because I've gotten it with certain sounds in the past. But I mostly watch it because the sounds that are made intentionally or unintentionally can be relaxing for me. Think of it as focusing on something in the video/audio and sort of melting into your seat or bed as a result. Stress relief and sleep assistance is all I really use it for. I don't really get the 'tingles' from it.

Old 04-17-2019, 05:32 PM

I never even thought about whether I get tingles. I think so. I have to notice next time.

I do know I get transfixed, and love the feeling.

Old 04-17-2019, 06:15 PM

9,297 posts, read 4,500,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
Some people get 'tingles' which I know what they mean by that, because I've gotten it with certain sounds in the past. But I mostly watch it because the sounds that are made intentionally or unintentionally can be relaxing for me. Think of it as focusing on something in the video/audio and sort of melting into your seat or bed as a result. Stress relief and sleep assistance is all I really use it for. I don't really get the 'tingles' from it.
I don't understand the "tingles"...but I have melted into my bed for other reasons..Lol.

Old 04-18-2019, 04:47 PM

20,213 posts, read 14,439,908 times
I would figure some folks here have heard the Pink Floyd song, "Learning to Fly."

There is a point in that song where, after some radio talk noise during an interlude between lyrics, they do...something. I wish someone who knows things about music and recording stuff might tell me what it is they do, but it honestly comes across like some massive change in air pressure or...I DON'T KNOW HOW TO DESCRIBE IT.

OK here, from 2:40-2:60 or so is where they do this whooshy effect. Thing.

THAT gives me tinglies and goosebumps. Now it's more fleeting, but when I have an ASMR experience I'm transfixed, zoned out, relaxed, euphoric, PLUS....this. For usually a few straight minutes, or as long as the stimulation is there.

https://youtu.be/nVhNCTH8pDs?t=160
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology