Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 09:10 PM

30,873 posts, read 36,804,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nah.

I strongly suspect that within the next two revisions of the DSM, the "gender dysphoria" designation will have gone the way of homosexuality as a dx.

Pathologizing people's gender identity will eventually be seen as archaic as pathologizing people's sexual orientations, and it will be one of those things future clinicians look back on in horror, and say, "I can't believe that was actually done," when they study the DSM-5.
Nope, sorry.

I'm gay and the two are not the same.

I'm sure there are a few cases of transgenderism that are truly based in biology, but many are not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8ZMernnK40

Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 PM

5,984 posts, read 3,433,781 times
I know plenty of trans people who are perfectly happy, i.e., they don't have any deeper mental health issues or previous trauma. They wanted to change gender, so they did, and (other than appearing slightly masculine) they are living perfectly normal lives without any further issues or problems with their mental or physical health.

Therefore, the article of the OP (despite being seemingly reasonable and well-researched at first sight) is merely a product of ignorance, created by someone who could never actually understand the thought-processes or desires of the trans population, and has seldom interacted with them on a personal level. (In fact, most of the posts of that website seem to be nonsensical ramblings of a far right propaganda machine, and should not be taken seriously.)

Old 04-13-2019, 09:36 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,531,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post
There’s no question that social justice warriors aside it’s a mental health issue when someone thinks their “true” identity is the opposite of their gender. It’s why almost every trans person has been diagnosed with mental health issues. It’s actually very sad, I feel sorry for them as I do anyone struggling with their mental health, but I don’t take them seriously any more than I’d take someone with any other mental issue seriously. They have problems they need to work out and it’s not helping to be “accepting” of their issues rather than trying to fix them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elhelmete View Post
Poppycock.
What JonathanB said is the absolute truth. It's a mental health issue and when these people are encouraged to endure irreversible surgical mutilation and use drugs to inhibit normal biological development the problem is only compounded because the underlying condition isn't being properly treated. No wonder there is a 41 percent suicide attempt rate. Your gender is determined by your DNA and chromosomes. There is no changing that. The problem isn't below the neckline, it's above it. That's why the proper psychiatric and psychological treatment and therapy is so important. And that's no poppycock.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:52 PM

6,039 posts, read 6,026,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
What JonathanB said is the absolute truth. It's a mental health issue and when these people are encouraged to endure irreversible surgical mutilation and use drugs to inhibit normal biological development the problem is only compounded because the underlying condition isn't being properly treated. No wonder there is a 41 percent suicide attempt rate. Your gender is determined by your DNA and chromosomes. There is no changing that. The problem isn't below the neckline, it's above it. That's why the proper psychiatric and psychological treatment and therapy is so important. And that's no poppycock.
Good luck.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:06 PM

6,278 posts, read 4,154,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahayana View Post
Unfortunately your first link is not a bipartisan group of researchers and in fact considered a fringe hate group
https://www.splcenter.org/fighting-h...-pediatricians

Your other link is religious based.

The other group transgender trend are not researchers but a group of parents and have faced v
Critisism and had their crowdfunding suspended.

I was hoping you’d share independent peer reviewed bipartisan research these are serious questions and concerns that require qualified research by people who are not blinded by dogma or left wing or right wing beliefs.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:52 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,327,907 times
I find this OP offensive. I don't think transgender is a disorder. To me, this is as Neanderthal a way of thinking, as when American scientists actually believed that black people didn't feel pain the same way white people did.

Just because someone is different, it doesn't mean they have a disease.

Old 04-13-2019, 10:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,347,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
Nope, sorry.

I'm gay and the two are not the same.
Homosexuality and transgender are not the same? You don't say.

Yeah, didn't claim they were.

My point was that just as the DSM's earlier editions pathologized being gay, and the diagnostic community has since come to acknowledge being on the wrong side of history on that one, it's exceedingly likely that clinical pathologizing of trans issues will eventually meet the same fate in future diagnostic circles.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:23 PM

61,341 posts, read 86,235,551 times
Too the OP:

There is no such thing as Transgender Disorder, but Gender Dysphoria that involves a conflict between a person's physical or assigned gender and the gender with which he/she/they identify.
People with gender dysphoria may be very uncomfortable with the gender they were assigned, sometimes described as being uncomfortable with their body (particularly developments during puberty) or being uncomfortable with the expected roles of their assigned gender.

The mismatch between body and internal sense of gender is not a mental illness.
Being trans is related to personal or social identity, not a psychiatric one.

Feeling that their body does not reflect their true gender can cause severe distress, anxiety, and depression.

Your cited source is considered a extreme bias, consistent promotion of propaganda/conspiracies, poor or no sourcing to credible information, a complete lack of transparency and/or is fake news.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/american-thinker/

Old 04-14-2019, 12:28 AM

44,288 posts, read 19,953,214 times
What elnina posted is true.

Folks, keep in mind that bashing of any group of people is not tolerated here. This thread is now closed.
Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology