Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 04:38 PM

21,952 posts, read 9,517,840 times

Advertisements

My daughter has an irrational fear of needles. As you can imagine, this make life challenging at vaccine time. Any way to help her?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2019, 05:19 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,618,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
My daughter has an irrational fear of needles. As you can imagine, this make life challenging at vaccine time. Any way to help her?
Some people use numbing ointment, sedatives, and/or therapy. Do you know how this phobia started? Have you demonstrated for her how relaxed and calm you’re able to be when you get stuck with a needle? I never personally had a fear of needles, but there seems to be a lot of information about it online to research.

Old 04-09-2019, 05:59 PM

10,214 posts, read 17,888,250 times
Maybe start by not being dismissive of her fears as "irrational" and actually try to understand it. Needles are painful, and the concept of breaking and entering the skin like that disturbs some people, even adults, but children especially can have difficulty understanding why they are necessary so the whole thing just feels like torture. Have you tried asking her what it is about it that scares her so much? If you understand it, you can talk about it and hopefully start to normalize it.

Old 04-09-2019, 09:09 PM

14,375 posts, read 18,383,130 times
My best friend became a heavily tattooed veterinarian who practiced acupuncture. Getting a blood draw instantly causes her to pass out. She's one of the toughest and most intellectual people I know - yet in her 40s she has to be lying down to deal with such scenarios.

It doesn't have to be rational. But don't minimize her fear and talk her through it. Is it the anticipation of the pain? A fear of blood? What? I used to FREAK out over even a little pinprick, yet I would brush off far more painful experiences like they were nothing.

Old 04-10-2019, 04:58 AM

7,087 posts, read 8,640,168 times
I’m a 180 pound muscular man who can bench 275, I hate needles and avoid them at all costs. It’s not irrational, you’re being stabbed by a sharp object. Basic survival instinct means I like to avoid being stabbed unless it’s absolutely necessary. I haven’t been pricked with a needle in 6 years or so, maybe once in the last decade. It screws with your muscles besides that, often leaves bruising or two days of discomfort, like you better be saving my life if you’re going to do that. I’ve been kicked in the face / head with a roundhouse kick maybe 100 times and I’d rather that than a needle, it’s not as big of a deal, especially when it’s in a match and you’re enjoying the thrill of competition. Sitting there letting someone stab me? Nah, no thanks.

Old 04-10-2019, 06:24 AM

801 posts, read 615,878 times
It's not an irrational fear. Holding still while someone puts a needle into you is weird.

You don't have to convince her that it's irrational to be afraid of this or give her stats about how infrequently it goes wrong. Tell her that lots of people hate needles too but it's something that has to be done. Ask her how she thinks she should deal with it... would holding your hand help? Singing and looking away? She might feel better if she has a choice in how to cope, rather than holding her down. Because that will always be the default... and THAT is more scary than the needle. :/

Old 04-10-2019, 08:44 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,034,249 times
I think a lot of people have an irrational fear of needles.

I did until I had babies and learned what pain REALLY is. After that, pffft. Needles? Bring them on. LOL

What my mom did, when I was a child, and afraid of needles was offer to buy me a goldfish if I behaved at the dentist, doctor, etc. The right motivation helped a lot. LOL

Old 04-10-2019, 08:47 AM

1,105 posts, read 2,305,663 times
I don't know if you call that irrational. I hate needles and consider it normal yo dislike something that is going to hurt you.

Old 04-10-2019, 11:44 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,905,591 times
How old is your daughter? If she is four or five or older, here are some simple tricks to make shots less traumatic.

Have her pop a piece of peppermint or cinnamon hard candy in her mouth just before the needle goes in, and suck on it rather than crunch down. The strong taste and odor help distract the brain from the pain.

Have her focus all her attention on her big toes - wiggle them as the needle goes in and as long as it's in place. Again, it distracts from the needle.

For blood draws, make sure she's well-hydrated. Have her drink a bottle or glass of water about an hour ahead of time.

And ask the shot-giver if using a butterfly needle is feasible. Such needles are much more slender and are often used with infants and children, as well as in adults dealing with skin-hardening issues or capillary issues which can make drawing blood difficult. Not sure how they would work for inoculations, though, but they are certainly less painful than are standard needles.

Old 04-10-2019, 02:25 PM

7,024 posts, read 11,320,211 times
I don't think the fear is irrational either. Being stuck in the arm by something sharp and somewhat painful isn't fun, and something most people don't enjoy.

Here is what helps with my 7 year old kid who hates needles:

1. My daughter does have stronger reactions to vaccines than most kids, especially flu shots. We are always sure to bring ice packs and give her Tylenol in advance to help with the swelling, stiffness and pain.

2. We have her look away when the needle comes out (full disclosure, I don't look at the needle either!) and have her try to relax.

3. We always have a treat set up afterwards for our "brave girl" to help motivate her.

All that said, she still gets scared, still tenses up, still cries, still has her arm swell up and hurt for a few days. Our goal is to make sure she gets the shots she needs, limit the anxiety and pain as much as we can, and move on to the next thing. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology