Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2019, 09:02 PM

9,329 posts, read 4,102,440 times

Advertisements

Haunting many of us, I'm sure!

Why You Procrastinate (It Has Nothing to Do With Self-Control)
By Charlotte Lieberman

Procrastination isn’t a unique character flaw or a mysterious curse on your ability to manage time, but a way of coping with challenging emotions and negative moods induced by certain tasks — boredom, anxiety, insecurity, frustration, resentment, self-doubt and beyond.
“Procrastination is an emotion regulation problem, not a time management problem,” said Dr. Tim Pychyl, professor of psychology and member of the Procrastination Research Group at Carleton University in Ottawa.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/25/s...f-control.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2019, 10:18 PM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

By Charlotte Lieberman

Procrastination isn’t a unique character flaw or a mysterious curse on your ability to manage time, but a way of coping with challenging emotions and negative moods induced by certain tasks — boredom, anxiety, insecurity, frustration, resentment, self-doubt and beyond.
“Procrastination is an emotion regulation problem, not a time management problem,” said Dr. Tim Pychyl, professor of psychology and member of the Procrastination Research Group at Carleton University in Ottawa.

As a lifetime procrastinator, I'd have to agree. I procrastinate because I do not want to face up to the task I am putting off.

I am better than I was when I was younger. But I still do it, and I don't imagine I will ever be able to stop.

Old 04-20-2019, 10:19 PM

51,847 posts, read 52,247,919 times
I'll let you know later.

Old 04-21-2019, 12:35 AM

30,585 posts, read 24,921,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chowhound View Post
i'll let you know later.
lol

Old 04-21-2019, 02:08 AM

372 posts, read 216,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
As a lifetime procrastinator, I'd have to agree. I procrastinate because I do not want to face up to the task I am putting off.

I am better than I was when I was younger. But I still do it, and I don't imagine I will ever be able to stop.
Well, I've progressed a lot from a child. Today, my procrastination is masterful. About 15 yers ago, I had an epiphany; MY house, my rules. Hate housework, so pretty much stopped doing it in any structured way.

These days I need to psych myself up for a period of up to a year, depending on the task.

Old 04-22-2019, 01:55 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,258,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I'll let you know later.
LOL.

I have a long history of procrastination. In my younger years, it was basically a means of addressing anxiety, although not a productive one at all. Anything I pushed off was generally because I was avoiding it out of some type of anxiety. The "just keep pushing it off, and maybe you'll never end up having to do it," was the flawed mind game.

Flash forward to today, when I've developed better stress management, overall (though still not flawless)...when I procrastinate now, It's generally more just due to flaws in time management...If I know a task is going to take x time that I don't have to knock it out at once, I'm more likely to just shove it off in favor of other things I've gotta do, rather than chop it up into manageable subtasks and complete a portion here and there as I have time. This bites me in the butt more often than not, when you wind up with a large task with little time left to complete it, in the end. But it's just historically been hard to motivate myself to chip away little by little, which is usually the better route for me. I'm kind of a "sit down and knock it all out at once" person. Part of it's attentional...I do better when I wipe something out in one sitting (even large tasks, like big research papers or multi-item portfolios), and doing things piecemeal is difficult for me, attentionally...it breaks up my flow.

When I can't just sit down and hammer something out uninterrupted, procrastination kicks in, in the form of finding that elusive big chunk of time.

Old 04-22-2019, 02:10 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,585,700 times
I agree with this, 100%.

The thing is that I personally put a positive spin on it because I am a "self-starter," - and a responsible person - therefore, if I have anxiety about a task (and I do), I will put it off, but will eventually (and in time, before any deadline or negative repercussion) step up to the plate and address it. It often is uncomfortable.

And the procrastination can be for very annoying (to me) tasks such as getting my taxes ready - or it can be for something that is going to be fun, but that I have anxiety about (trip details).

I think this kind of stuff should be taught in school - it might be helpful if people really understood what they are avoiding and why.

I also use EFT, so if I am extremely anxious about a task, I can do EFT around it, and it helps process the fear.

Old 04-22-2019, 05:13 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,627,985 times
Yes, completely agree. Anyone who is self aware should know that procrastination has absolutely nothing to with time management and it's to avoid the sucky emotions that come with doing any type of WORK.

Old 04-24-2019, 05:08 AM

7,568 posts, read 4,111,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarallel View Post

By Charlotte Lieberman

Others may see it as a character flaw even if the procrastinator does not. If the source of procrastination are negative feelings, then there needs to be a strategy for the negative feelings. Boredom is different from the rest you listed so it needs its own strategy. Procrastination can be maladaptive if it is hurting relationships.

Old 04-30-2019, 10:20 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,837,400 times
I procrastinate because its possible that doing that task might prove to be unnecessary in the future. Maybe I'll do the task, but then find I have to undo it. I might put off something because it might prove to be unnecessary in the future, and I will have wasted money or put in a lot of effort for nothing. I dont think procrastination is always bad, sometimes its smart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology