Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2019, 11:37 AM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I remember that "time when stores had no cart return areas at all." It was because you were not permitted to take carts outside. I don't remember taking a cart outside back in the 1960s and 70s.
That is not the way I remember it. The way I remember it, the bagger would push the cart to your car for you, help you unload it, then return the cart to the store, and on the way grab any other carts that might be in the lot.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:44 AM

15,411 posts, read 9,044,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeIsWhere... View Post
People who don't return shopping carts

IMO, they feel entitled, are narcissistic AND lazy to boot. I park in the most farthest space in order to avoid these people and dings to my vehicle...it doesn't always help. I have plenty of dings.

I do not pat myself on the back for returning carts to the cart corral OR the store itself, whatever it takes, I do it. Yes, I even do it with piles of snow on the ground. Why? Simply because it is the right thing to do (and it's a pet peeve of mine).

No, I'm not a saint and sometimes in life I have chosen not to do the "right thing" purely on principle so in the end, I am a just a regular human being with all the shortcomings one may find.
I would rather be a lazy, narcissist, then a sheep doing free work for a billion dollar corporation.

Old 04-27-2019, 11:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,579 posts, read 17,923,325 times
I heard Ray Romano on LaughUSA.

He was describing his wife delivering their baby in the hospital, and the nurse said ok, you hold her leg up here, and Ray said, "No. Hey, I don't work here".

Old 04-27-2019, 11:53 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I would rather be a lazy, narcissist, then a sheep doing free work for a billion dollar corporation.
Speaking only for myself, I'd rather sack my own groceries than stand there, inconveniencing myself and others in the line, peevishly acting like I'm too put-upon to sack my own food.

I watched Stinging Dust - Forgotten Lives on Youtube last night about the great dust bowl, and the incredible effort people had to endure just to survive, and how willing they were to do for themselves.

And here we've got a very very long thread about perfectly able bodied adults who refuse to sack their purchases or walk a distance of a couple parking spaces to return their cart in an orderly way. And are bragging about it.

Sad commentary. And I don't think it's laziness - I don't sense the cart leavers are lazy at all, but rather, would gladly go out of their way and burn up extra time just to inconvenience people they think they're entitled to inconvenience. Pecking order. I guess whatever makes you feel good about yourself.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:36 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,369,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Agree. I know a lot of people can't resist the shaming looks, fortunately I can. When no one bags my groceries for me I just stand there until they do.
If the store has sackers who work there, then yes, it's fine to insist they do it for you. That's part of what you are paying for when you shop there.

Unless it's one of those "Sack N Save" stores...

Old 04-27-2019, 12:42 PM

177 posts, read 130,244 times
They BRAG about their behavior to make themselves feel better about how others perceive them as selfish, arrogant and entitled. (BTW, entitlement is a learned behavior from childhood, i.e. such as temper tantrums and having to get their own way). It makes them feel superior when as an adult they continue insisting on "getting their own way" and doing "what THEY want." It's childish.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:42 PM

2,771 posts, read 2,301,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
That's bizarre. I never understood why they'd want to stand so far away from the counter if they were waiting their turn in line.
This is so that when someone steps in front of them, (not realizing that person is "in line,") they can snort and say, with righteousness indignation, "aHEM. The line forms BEHIND ME."

Old 04-27-2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
This is so that when someone steps in front of them, (not realizing that person is "in line,") they can snort and say, with righteousness indignation, "aHEM. The line forms BEHIND ME."
I'm not sure I've seen what y'all are talking about. What I do see is, while I'm sacking my groceries and my credit card is stuck in the credit card reader but the transaction hasn't been completed, the person behind me will come up and stand in front of the paying area, making me have to say excuse me, can you please back up - I can't reach my credit card. I would greatly appreciate someone who stood back too far to someone who is too close. And then some of the "too closers" act indignant because I literally can't finish the transaction with them standing where they are.

Old 04-27-2019, 12:49 PM

So for those who refuse to bag their stuff because in the past grocery stores used to be more consistent with bagging, do you also refuse to unload your carts onto the conveyor belt because grocery stores used to do that (and Trader Joes still does)?

Do you just pull up your cart and then go to the pay area, expecting the clerk to somehow get the items out of your cart?

Last edited by ClaraC; 04-27-2019 at 01:01 PM..

Old 04-27-2019, 01:03 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,119,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Just out of curiosity, are customers also lazy if they don't use self-checkout? Not using self checkout requires a cashier to do more work.
No, it doesn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.