Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2019, 06:59 PM

4,166 posts, read 4,403,883 times

Advertisements

Mostly inconsiderate, lazy and from a different culture and mindset that doesn't care, nor think about how their behavior impacts on others. Tend to be oblivious to their surroundings. may also be that idiot you have to avoid from being hit as they are pulling out of parking space glued to mobile device or having a conversation.

I get it when it is one of those very few establishments without a cart corral, but the majority of this 'leave it where it was rolled to unload' mindset is extremely annoying when you are looking for a parking space and the lot is littered with abandoned carts clogging the parking space inventory. What gets me is many of these people need exercise and pushing a cart is one of the safest since it is akin to a large walker assist device.

The person who mentioned Aldi policy with needing a quarter to get cart from the corral does wonders on getting the vast majority to return the cart. More stores should do this and maybe up the value with a dollar coin to test the return rate.

Funny story from this last weekend's shopping errands. I shop a closeout discounter (Ollie's) about every few weeks to see what type of closeout items they get. After being a regular for years I have gotten to know the manager (we talk frequently when I see him in passing). As I am done shopping and returning my cart to front of store rather than corral for exercise, I snag two more that people left in adjacent parking spaces. The manager is out getting them from another corral a lane over and sees me and yells if I can work until five. We have a great relationship which has lead to a good many finds when I ask him about what sort of goods were received on the trucks the past few weeks,

Long story short, sometimes it pays off being nice and considerate as not only have I gotten a few extra discount deals over time shopping there, but when family went there looking for mattress and some other back to college things, I told family to ask for him and tell them they are my relatives. They got an extra discount too!

Old 04-25-2019, 07:01 PM

35,508 posts, read 17,736,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
Do I work for the store now? That is the store's problem. I don't see why I have to take even one extra step for the store or for some total stranger.

Only a smuck would assist the store in anything. They won't for you - I guarantee it.
It will be YOUR problem if a runaway cart damages your car.

I actually witnessed a few weeks ago a cart zooming downhill right toward my car as I stepped out of the grocery store, and a woman chasing the cart running VERY FAST after it and managed to grab it moments before it struck the broadside of my brand new car.

I ran up to her and said thank you so much and she said you're welcome, and that wasn't my cart, just saw it was going to hit your car.

Maybe someone will do the same for you someday. And chase after a cart someone like you has left because they don't care what affect their laziness/aggression has on other people?

Old 04-25-2019, 07:19 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,321,025 times
Just laziness.

I love Aldi's coin deposit method. Most of the time, people at my Aldi just end up passing the cart off to the next person they see going in.

Old 04-25-2019, 07:23 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,005,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Really, I'd have thought you knew better. It's not job CREATION. They just hand it off as one more thing to do for some poor ******* who already has a ton to do. They sure as anything aren't hiring extra help for something like that, lol. s-c-h-m-u-c-k is censored now?
I used to do it.

When I was a cashier at A&P supermarket (now defunct), during down times I would bag, I would put back groceries, I would clean up spills.

And then, they'd have me collect the carts. I'd have to push 15 of those suckers up a hill in 90 degree heat. Not fun.

What I always found MORE annoying though is when somebody would have 50+ items of groceries, and there's a line, and they would watch me ring up AND bag every item. And the customers would come in week after week, and the same people would never help me bag.

Also not a huge deal, but I bet some people who are b@tching about the carts are those that don't bag.

I think people are funny. They think some things are intolerable and other things are OK. People just are stubborn to what they think their way of life is and never budge...

Old 04-25-2019, 07:25 PM

So there was this guy I was acquainted with. When he had a dental check up scheduled, he didn't brush his teeth for several days in advance because hey, he was paying for a cleaning and wanted to get his money's worth. The dental hygienist was going to have to earn her money that day.

Seems appropriate here.

Most everyone else take great pains to floss and brush before going to the dentist. Most everyone else, in upper middle class neighborhoods, put their carts into the cart corral. Like that.

They view themselves as a "positive" in the community, a responsible member of the public.

Last edited by ClaraC; 04-25-2019 at 07:36 PM..

Old 04-25-2019, 07:57 PM

325 posts, read 197,334 times
I do know that when it was -25 in Chicago, if a cart coral wasn't within a few spaces away I may have been an offender!!And then felt guilty.Usually lots are empty when it's that cold and not a problem.
In contrast, even when it's 115 here in Vegas,I will always make the effort

Old 04-25-2019, 08:26 PM

86 posts, read 62,094 times
Interesting comments. I'm a little surprised a couple of people admitted to leaving their carts in place and not returning them to the cart return area. So, it's not necessarily that they're lazy, they just feel that since the store pays someone to retrieve them, they should just leave the cart where ever their car happens to be parked? Even if there is a corral a short distance away and their cart might be blown by the wind and hit a parked car? Wow. I was not expecting that sort of response. Some people obviously just don't give a s**t about their fellow man. I can't imagine having that sort of attitude about things. How does one develop an attitude like that?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
Interesting comments. I'm a little surprised a couple of people admitted to leaving their carts in place and not returning them to the cart return area. So, it's not necessarily that they're lazy, they just feel that since the store pays someone to retrieve them, they should just leave the cart where ever their car happens to be parked? Even if there is a corral a short distance away and their cart might be blown by the wind and hit a parked car? Wow. I was not expecting that sort of response. Some people obviously just don't give a s**t about their fellow man. I can't imagine having that sort of attitude about things. How does one develop an attitude like that?
Waiting to hear an answer to that bolded question. What caused that indifferent attitude?

Old 04-25-2019, 08:51 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,525,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlewsTheGoat View Post
I'll add one other thought. I shop at Aldi a lot. Aldi requires you to put a quarter into a slot in the cart to release the chain. When you return the cart and insert the end of the chain, the quarter pops out so you get it back. I never see a cart sitting in an Aldi parking lot, so apparently, the $0.25 is incentive enough not to be lazy or inconsiderate. Amazing.
They are a company with German origins, and using a Euro to get a cart is common there. They just brought the concept to the US. Maybe it will catch on here, but it will take some time. That's assuming brick and mortar grocery stores survive Amazon home delivery.

Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 PM

19,061 posts, read 12,627,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
They are a company with German origins, and using a Euro to get a cart is common there. They just brought the concept to the US. Maybe it will catch on here, but it will take some time. That's assuming brick and mortar grocery stores survive Amazon home delivery.
They added them to a grocery store near me and people were so angry and frustrated they had to uninstall the chains and locks only a few days later

The company you speak of also owns Trader Joes, they are a super secretive private family run company
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology