Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2019, 11:03 AM

5,182 posts, read 5,245,302 times

Advertisements

I went to a Catholic, all boys, four-year HS that my parents really couldn't afford but deprived themselves of their own needs and wants to send me there. Four deliriously happy years despite high academic stds. and strict discipline.

College had very little social life. For one thing, there were no residential quarters; the classrooms were in buildings located in the asphalt jungle of a big city. There was a campus in the 'burbs but consisted only of a baseball diamond and soccer field.

The routine for me was classes in the morning and then off to my job in the afternoon and evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 12:41 PM

11,936 posts, read 13,094,368 times
I loved both!

High school was a blast and college was also but just on a different level.

Old 05-01-2019, 12:50 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,955,874 times
BOTH had their pros & fun times, no cons really for me.

HS:

- I knew more people...not necessarily close friends, but it was a fun time in my life in a way
- Parents got me a (new) car the last semester of my senior year, so that was exciting too
- Had 1st "boyfriend" (we couldn't go out, but I could talk on the phone w/ him & he could come over the house)
- Prom was great...went w/ my longtime crush

College:

- More independence, but knew many less people, but oh well!
- Met 1st pretty good friend since the "best friends" one has in elementary school
- Had 1st job that summer after HS & right before starting college
- Parents allowed me to start dating the summer after I graduated from HS (so had started college that very following fall), so had 1st REAL boyfriend

Old 05-01-2019, 05:00 PM

11 posts, read 26,847 times
College, hands down. There were some fun aspects of high school but in college I just blossomed. I was an ok student in HS but didn't apply myself very well. That changed in college and I found out that I was smarter than I had given myself credit for. I still keep in touch with many college friends, some 30 years later.

Old 05-01-2019, 06:28 PM

6,998 posts, read 11,291,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West Side Boy View Post
College, hands down. There were some fun aspects of high school but in college I just blossomed. I was an ok student in HS but didn't apply myself very well. That changed in college and I found out that I was smarter than I had given myself credit for. I still keep in touch with many college friends, some 30 years later.
I have competition now, eh? What west side are you from?

Old 05-02-2019, 01:12 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,936,234 times
The only people who could have liked high school better were those who were star athletes or super popular and didn't do much in college.

Old 05-02-2019, 01:34 PM

1,381 posts, read 1,772,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
The only people who could have liked high school better were those who were star athletes or super popular and didn't do much in college.
I was neither an athlete nor super popular, but I still enjoyed my senior year, and my friends enjoyed theirs as well.

The only core classes required of seniors? English and Government/Economics. The rest could be electives of our choosing. This made many of us feel that senior year was far less demanding than previous grade levels.

Add to that all the fun activities organized for seniors (prom, class trips, etc.) and you have the makings of a year like none other.

To me, college was better than high school in every way except when it came to making new friends. The former was far more impersonal in that regard.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:27 PM

740 posts, read 455,624 times
Not even close. Of course, college. Had so much fun. The best years of my life was in college. But along the way, also made some crazy poor choices as well too.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:46 PM

7,087 posts, read 8,629,049 times
High school was terrible, the worst time of my life by far. Slept maybe 3-4 hours per night because of so much homework and studying, it was 65-80 hours of work per week and I often struggled to be efficient enough not to be overwhelmed. I had a 3.85 so I did well but it was absolute misery on a daily basis. College was a lot more enjoyable, and about 10 times easier. I finished in 3 years so I took tons of credits, usually around 20 per term but 24 the last two terms (I was only a senior for 1 term, 10 weeks haha!), but even so it was an absolute cakewalk. I had a single B my last term, undeserved, 3.97 overall while the 24 credit terms were stressful at times, I was a pro by that point and knew exactly how to handle it all. I rarely had classes before noon and when I did, I just didn’t go. It was amazing!

In college I also had more time to do what I wanted to do and I put on about 35 pounds of muscle, so I got a lot more confidence as well. I didn’t make any new friends in college whatsoever, though. 2 of my 3 best friends I met in high school.

Old 05-03-2019, 05:56 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
At the time, or now? At the time I enjoyed college a lot more. Looking back - high school was better. More innocent. Less seedy. College was a sort of dark time inn my development. while I had fun, I was not a great person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology