Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 12:03 PM

506 posts, read 504,345 times

Advertisements

Example:

Today I was at a laundromat putting loads in the dryer. A man came up to me and said, "How much would the dryer be to make the load completely dry?"

Answer: "Oh, about 75 cents. It is a hot dryer."

He puts in $1.50 in. I shrugged and waited for my loads to dry. They dried perfectly. While I'm folding, his load is finished. He opened the dryer. Reached in. He jerked back his hands in pain. Then grumbled while he put each item one at a time in a basket wincing.

Another is a woman I knew a long time ago.

"What top should I wear? The black one or the pink one?"

"Hm. The black one."

She puts on the pink one.

Why do people do this?

If you don't want my advice, why bother asking in the first place?

Old 05-11-2019, 12:11 PM

506 posts, read 504,345 times
I also never understood why whenever someone is outside waiting for a store to open, the doors being locked, and that person is first or one of a few in line, the later arrivals still walk to the doors and tries to pull open the doors only to find them locked.

Old 05-11-2019, 12:24 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,369,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Example:

Today I was at a laundromat putting loads in the dryer. A man came up to me and said, "How much would the dryer be to make the load completely dry?"

He puts in $1.50 in. I shrugged and waited for my loads to dry. They dried perfectly. While I'm folding, his load is finished. He opened the dryer. Reached in. He jerked back his hands in pain. Then grumbled while he put each item one at a time in a basket wincing.

"Hm. The black one."

Why do people do this?

The man wanted to make sure the clothes would be completely dry, so he was going to put in more than whatever you said.

The women didn't think you had good taste in clothes, so she asked so she could do the opposite of whatever you said.

The same reason people ask me for directions -- my sense of direction is infallibly wrong.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:05 AM

1,534 posts, read 1,501,544 times
Great topic. I've wondered the same thing. I think people have an opinion or an answer before they even ask the question. Maybe they want to see if someone was thinking like them.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:40 AM

716 posts, read 419,997 times
because people are insecure.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:21 PM

892 posts, read 478,362 times
they may just want to be heard.

Old 05-12-2019, 04:28 PM

8,174 posts, read 3,369,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
Great topic. I've wondered the same thing. I think people have an opinion or an answer before they even ask the question. Maybe they want to see if someone was thinking like them.
Yeah, they just want to check what someone else thinks.

It is not reasonable to expect people to take your advice, even though they asked for it. They're just taking a little opinion survey and you happened to be standing there.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,917,143 times
agree with G4N....do the opposite of the unreliable answer.

for example: i do the same thing when i consider who to vote for.
i look at those media outlets i abhor and make sure i do not vote for their endorsements.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 PM

12,600 posts, read 8,824,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkeydance View Post
agree with G4N....do the opposite of the unreliable answer.

for example: i do the same thing when i consider who to vote for.
i look at those media outlets i abhor and make sure i do not vote for their endorsements.
Kind of like those old Siskel and Ebert movie reviews. Didn't take me long to figure out that my tastes and theirs were opposites. Two thumbs up meant a movie that would bore me out of my mind. Two thumbs down had possibilities.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:17 PM

11,119 posts, read 5,531,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBAinTexas View Post
Example:

"Hm. The black one."

Why do people do this?

It's simple. When these people were kids, they always did the opposite of what their parents told them to do. Now, their parents aren't around and they need your opinion, so they can make themselves feel independent by still doing the opposite of what they're told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.