Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 10:48 AM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times

Advertisements

On a scale from one to ten.

No not really. I hate those scales.

I don't think it's possible to rate your overall happiness. And those ratings should not be taken as a valid scientific measurements. Although of course they are.

We have a lot of subconscious thoughts and feelings. In fact, most of our thoughts and feelings are subconscious. Different people are conscious to different degrees of different aspects of their selves.

And people might describe feelings differently. For example, one person might describe a feeling of calmness as happiness, while another considers excitement to be happiness.

And there is the social status aspect. A person who is happy is more likely to be successful in money and in love. So claiming to be happy can improve your social status. If you say you are unhappy people might wonder if you have failed in some aspects of life.

Of course, you could have tons of money and a good marriage and still have feelings of emptiness.

I read some research that compared happiness of parents vs non-parents. But instead of simply asking people how happy they are in general, happiness was recorded at intervals throughout the day. It turned out the parents spent less time doing things that made them happy.

My own experience of happiness is that it varies depending on what I'm doing and what is happening at the moment. And also what I happen to be thinking about. So if a researcher asked me to rate the overall happiness of my life I would have to say it depends on what I am doing or thinking.

Also, for me, happiness depends a lot on physical health, and if I got enough sleep, etc.

Can you rate your overall happiness, honestly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 12:21 PM

12,040 posts, read 8,418,487 times
No, I can't For me happiness comes and goes. One minute it's there, the next it's gone sometimes leaving good memories. It's a little something extra than what I can expect. A surprise! I love those little moments that really enhance life.

What I've aimed for in my life is creating a sense of confidence that I can manage the difficult times, a belief that I have enough of what I need, gratefulness for everything that is good in my life and learning to be comfortable with creating a sense of peace in myself regardless of what's happening around me.

There isn't an "end result" to this journey as though eventually I'll get to that magic place called "Happiness." It's a lifelong frame of mind and meeting challenges as though they are purposeful.

To me a sense of security, gratitude and peace of mind defines successful living.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:21 PM

854 posts, read 520,486 times
Zero

Old 05-12-2019, 12:30 PM

12 posts, read 5,524 times
This question cannot be answered always accurately because it is more referring to the present. At the moment of speaking, everyone can tell if feel happy or not, but it may change quickly.

Old 05-12-2019, 12:31 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Zero

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2V3CfD8TPac

Old 05-12-2019, 12:48 PM

854 posts, read 520,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
Correct

Old 05-12-2019, 01:07 PM

2,660 posts, read 1,556,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy-Cat-Lady View Post
Correct
The vodka doesn't even bring it to 0.1? c'mon.

Old 05-12-2019, 01:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 4,528,172 times
I’m not always happy but I’m usually aware and grateful for all that I have had in my life; good health, a loving spouse, loving extended family, some good friends and financial security. In spite of all of these things, I experience occasional sad days but I always
try to remember to be grateful for all that I do have. It can all disappear in a moments notice.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:43 PM

8,227 posts, read 3,421,135 times
And there are all kinds of different ways to feel happy. It can't all be described by that one word.

There is the happiness of getting enough sleep! Of feeling you accomplished something by the end of the day. Of having a pleasant conversation. Talking a nice walk in nice weather. Cooking something that turns out really good, by chance. Singing. Getting a compliment. Giving a compliment. Finding out you and someone else have something in common. Meditating. Praying. Watching a good ASMR video.

Those are all different feelings, but they all contribute to happiness.

Unhappiness, I guess, would be the opposites of those kinds of things. Not getting enough sleep, etc. Also, a big one for me, is worrying about the future. We have to be responsible and plan sensibly, but that can easily turn into worry, which is a big waste of time.

Old 05-12-2019, 02:49 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,452,873 times
Content more often.
Happiness ? Hmmm. .. ask me that after being side swiped or losing my glasses.

I'm happy primarily that I have the skill to turn things around...and if I don't. ..I know where I can hide it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology