Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 03:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,674,856 times

Advertisements

People who try to salvage themselves in the last years have a tough time at it, IMHO.

I say you live a "hero to some" and just stay that way and live as long as you obtain pleasure from it and can help others.....I'd rather be an unknown hero than fall far from grace.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2019, 03:55 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
No, of course not. The quote does not work as a generalization about life, because it is nonsense.

Old 05-13-2019, 04:04 PM

720 posts, read 428,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
I don't think you understood the quotation. The point it was trying to make was that dying isn't always the most effective way to tackle a problem. Sacrificing your life over something at age 23 and becoming a headline for a week probably isn't going to be as beneficial as spending a year crafting the treaty that lasts generations.

OK, consider the underground/covert effort used to smuggle Jews out of Nazi territory. The "glory" came later or not at all. It was an effective way to save persecuted people and a lot fewer people died doing that than on the battlefield.

Consider saving a threatened forest...is a flamboyant death lying down in front of a bulldozer the best way to stop it? Even if one "side" surrenders to the other is the dispute over? No. Hatred and resentment continue. The dispute is still there.
I am not saying dying is the better solution.
I am saying that if the other people had the same mindset with the boy, Hitler wouldn't have had a chance to do what he did and the boy would probably be alive.
As he did that, he didn't even think that he would die. He didn't think or care for repercussions.
He was just instinctively standing up for his fellow man.
If it's just one person lying in front of that bulldozer it's not gonna have the same impact as a 100 persons stopping the bulldozer.

Sacrificing your life or putting it on the line for a noble cause is one of the most inspiring things that
someone can do. No one wants to sacrifice their life just for fame.
It's to give people hope. It's to protect others.

I understand fully the problem that needs to be tackled. I just believe that a lot of people don't understand that sacrificing yourself at 23 to go against mass genocide is more "beneficial" than people can imagine. Especially because it is someone that young.
Calling it stupid or immature is for me cowardly, to say the least.

Again, being cowardly is very understandable and I don't expect everyone to be ready to die at a moment's notice. I just prefer standing up for the truth as a life motto.

Sometimes the stakes are just that high.

(Not to undermine of course the importance of the things people did to help the Jews covertly. Putting your life on the line to help others is as heroic as sacrificing it. Sometimes even more so.)

Old 05-13-2019, 06:28 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azureth View Post
As Batman said, you either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain, would you agree?
No, what a ridiculous notion.

There is no 'Batman'. 'Batman' is a fictional character, played by actors who speak the lines given them by writers. The lines only have to 'sound good' for the TV/movie scene, there is no need for them to have even a smidgeon of logic, reason, or truth to them...much like any other fictional/mythological characters.

Old 05-13-2019, 06:34 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
well, i would like to live long enough to become a villain.
my wife thinks i have a good head start.

Old 05-13-2019, 07:04 PM

8,488 posts, read 6,894,642 times
Most people are neither hero or villain. Just ordinary people doing the best they can till the very end. What could be more noble and profound?

Old 05-13-2019, 07:16 PM

14,735 posts, read 15,043,276 times

Unless the OP actually believes that Batman is real, I think this thread should be in the Philosophy forum, not the Psychology forum.

Quote:
As Batman said, you either die a hero or live long enough to become the villain, would you agree?
No, I don't agree. It's just a nonsense phrase, a hackneyed Hollywood writer's made up cliché that is meaningless and lacks original thought. It's not real, and neither is Batman. Batman is a figment of imagination made up for children who need a mysterious hero to idolize.

That quote is exactly the same as saying you either die as a hero or die as a villain.... only it's using more words to say it so it sounds more impressive. But it's not true and not meaningful.

There is no such thing as black and white only, there are many shades of other colours of ways of life in between black and white.

There is such a thing as being both a hero and a villain at the same time for a person's entire life. One man's hero is another man's villain. Almost always. So there is no either/or with heroism and villainy.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:35 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,525,892 times
And dont forget that with great power comes great responsibility!

Old 05-13-2019, 10:40 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
No. There are many shades of gray in-between that are quite acceptable.

Old 05-14-2019, 11:55 AM

787 posts, read 780,885 times
You either die a Clark or live long enough to see yourself become a cousin Eddie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology