Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2019, 02:42 AM

538 posts, read 385,596 times

Advertisements

For instant, I’m at my friends wedding. The employees at the hotel who knew her confused me for her. Saying congrats to me etc....she is 100 lbs heavier than me. Different skin tone, hair style etc....then people who don’t know me will confuse me with her sister. Her sister and I don’t have the same features, body type or hair style yet everyone says we look so similar. How do people confuse me with people that are a lot heavier than me or don’t have any of the same features? The only thing similar is hair and eye color.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2019 at 10:06 AM.. Reason: Merged two threads on same topic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2019, 06:18 AM

61,656 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Obviously those people don't pay attention to details and/or don't care. They aren't ALL people, just a few at the hotel. They see hundreds of people every week, I guess they stopped paying attention to their guest features. Some people aren't just very observant.
Don't get bothered by this.

Last edited by elnina; 06-10-2019 at 06:27 AM..

Old 06-10-2019, 07:02 AM

264 posts, read 200,167 times
I wondered the same thing until I saw my twin brother's photo on the post office wall.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:18 AM

It happens a lot with one of them though. People always confuse us or ask if we are sisters and we have completely different features.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:34 AM

19,610 posts, read 12,210,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriank7 View Post
It happens a lot with one of them though. People always confuse us or ask if we are sisters and we have completely different features.
There has got to be some similarities that you don't see. It can be hard to see ourselves as others do, or to know what our voice sounds like to other people. It's strange.... I've been told I look like someone and I just don't see it.

Old 06-10-2019, 07:52 AM

There are no similarities except hair and eye color. But how can someone confuse me with someone who weighs so much more. She gave me one of her 3X shirts that was tight on her to wear as a nightgown.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:56 AM

It’s almost like I have no identity. People always confused me for one of them (she wasn’t always very heavy). They would speak to me thinking I am one of them.

Old 06-10-2019, 10:09 AM

2,048 posts, read 2,154,866 times
The weight thing seems to be the thing that's bothering you most about this. Yes? It's not so much that you mind being confused for someone else - it's that you mind being confused with someone you see as much heavier than you. You're wondering if that's how they see you.

This is an insecurity. Who knows why they confuse you and the other two - it could be something like you have similar smiles or there's something they can't quite put their finger on that associates you with them in their minds. It doesn't matter why. If you're secure in yourself, you won't let it bother you.

For the record, I have that happen all the time. At work, I've been confused with a woman 10 years younger who was probably 70 lbs heavier, and I've been confused with a woman 15 years younger who, because of a health problem, is skin and bones (I am not). Both women had different hair color than mine. There seems to be no rhyme or reason, but there is when I think about it - all three of us have those kind of non-descript white American melting-pot friendly faces, and that's enough to get us confused. I think there was even one time when I was mistaken for someone 20 years older than me. I could let it bother me - ugh, do I look that old?? - but it's never about that. It's never about the thing you would want to take offense to. It usually comes down to the way you carry yourself, or something intangible in your face that reminds a person of someone else.

Point is - nobody thinks you're as heavy as your friends, stop letting that bother you. Be secure in yourself. Because honestly, it only gets worse as you age (eventually, as women, we may miss being noticed at ALL). Don't give other people the power to make you feel like you have an identity, or not. If YOU know who you are and what your qualities are, it doesn't matter what any one else thinks.

Last edited by Mimidae; 06-10-2019 at 10:16 AM.. Reason: Committed a there/their atrocity.

Old 06-10-2019, 12:23 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,017,949 times
Could it be you were sitting down when the person confused you for the heavier lady?

People carry their excess weight in all kinds of different ways. Like some carry it below the waist, some above, some people's faces get fuller, others never show it in the face...and so on and so forth.

Old 06-10-2019, 02:50 PM

15,629 posts, read 10,382,405 times
I must have a few doppelgangers in this country as I have had, at different ages and in different parts of the country, several people confuse me for someone else at least a dozen times.

the weirdest time I was thought to be someone else was when I visited my father-in-law in the hospital. three different hospital employees stopped me in the hallway three separate times on the way to his room and told me I was wanted by doctor so and so stat. when I told them I wasn't the person they were looking for, they all were very surprised. this wanted hospital employee and I must have been dead ringers.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 06-10-2019 at 03:00 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology