Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 06:08 PM

8,226 posts, read 3,425,642 times

Advertisements

When driving, sometimes people think they are being nice when they give someone else the right of way. No, this is not nice, it is confusing and dangerous.

For example, maybe I am waiting to pull out of a driveway onto a main road. A driver on the main road stops to let me go. How nice! But he doesn't realize cars may be approaching from the other direction. Or that he has chosen to stop traffic on the main road, which could cause a pile up. And even if it doesn't cause a major accident, it is still confusing.

We have driving rules, and the sensible thing is to follow them. They think they are being nice, but breaking the rules and causing confusion is not nice.

There are exceptions to what I said though. If traffic on the main road is stopped then it might make sense to leave space for the car trying to pull out of a driveway.

Sometimes it isn't dangerous, but just silly. For example, you are waiting to pull out of a driveway, and there is only one car on the main road. He stops to let you go.

These things happen all the time, at least where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 12:55 AM

1,892 posts, read 2,535,359 times
Yep, happens all the time where I live too. Some people just don't get it. They think things operate in a bubble. The worst are when what they do actually makes it harder for you, like when they block your field of vision or it would require other vehicles going at full speed to stop to let you go.

Old 06-13-2019, 06:45 AM

722 posts, read 429,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post
When driving, sometimes people think they are being nice when they give someone else the right of way. No, this is not nice, it is confusing and dangerous.

For example, maybe I am waiting to pull out of a driveway onto a main road. A driver on the main road stops to let me go. How nice! But he doesn't realize cars may be approaching from the other direction. Or that he has chosen to stop traffic on the main road, which could cause a pile up. And even if it doesn't cause a major accident, it is still confusing.
1. That people are nice, doesnt mean that you should be less careful.
2. If people are following the rules letting a car in traffic won't cause any problems.

If the problem is letting one car inside the main road and it causes a pile up then the problem is infrastructure, not people.

You are rushing to judge people instead of understanding the main problem. You need to relax a bit in your life. This is not a problem - you are just stressed and taking it out on others. Either figure out what really stresses you and change that, or generally try to do more relaxing things so that you don't get so stressed about driving.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
1. That people are nice, doesnt mean that you should be less careful.
2. If people are following the rules letting a car in traffic won't cause any problems.

If the problem is letting one car inside the main road and it causes a pile up then the problem is infrastructure, not people.

You are rushing to judge people instead of understanding the main problem. You need to relax a bit in your life. This is not a problem - you are just stressed and taking it out on others. Either figure out what really stresses you and change that, or generally try to do more relaxing things so that you don't get so stressed about driving.
This happens constantly and it is dangerous. I also do a lot of walking and biking, and then it can be even more dangerous.

People think that as long as their motive is to be nice, then whatever they do is ok. No matter how dangerous or stupid.

If you suddenly stop your car on a main road, that can cause an accident. It is also inconsiderate of the drivers behind you, who are forced to wait.

Old 06-13-2019, 10:43 AM

2,561 posts, read 2,684,449 times
Politeness can also be rude when honesty is better.
Some people expect other people to "get the hint" when dating- No, No, No. . . .
Just be more direct- maybe you don't know if you're interested, you're no longer interested.
Ghosting is just uncool unless you're physically afraid of the person.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:44 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,877,894 times
What you are describing isn't rudeness. It's thoughtlessness or lack of situational awareness. I guess the "lesson" to be gleaned from this rather whiny thread is that intentions matter. If someone is going to be rude they should at least act with honestly malicious intent. You'll have a better chance to see them coming.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-13-2019 at 02:10 PM..

Old 06-13-2019, 12:57 PM

892 posts, read 484,975 times
" I appreciate the thought but No Thank You".

Old 06-13-2019, 01:07 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
Ridiculous. When someone lets you pull out of the driveway, it's rude. But when no one lets you out, someone else in your position will think it's rude and selfish.

I still can't understand how someone letting you pull out of your driveway when they're the only car on the main road is silly? It's nice.

Old 06-13-2019, 01:55 PM

50,825 posts, read 36,527,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Good4Nothin View Post

We have driving rules, and the sensible thing is to follow them. They think they are being nice, but breaking the rules and causing confusion is not nice.

There are exceptions to what I said though. If traffic on the main road is stopped then it might make sense to leave space for the car trying to pull out of a driveway.

Sometimes it isn't dangerous, but just silly. For example, you are waiting to pull out of a driveway, and there is only one car on the main road. He stops to let you go.

These things happen all the time, at least where I live.
I agree. I got in an accident several years ago due to this. I was turning left out of a gas station, and a lady in an SUV stopped and waved me out. But there was another lane next to hers, and due to the size of her truck I didn’t see a car zipping by her in that lane, and drove right into his car. Luckily no one hurt. Totally my fault as I had responsibility for making sure it was safe, but still the lady thought she was being nice and doing a dangerous thing. I see people do this with bikes and people walking too. So now I never wave someone out because I am not in charge of both lanes so I can’t really tell that person it’s safe. But I feel like they probably think I’m a B.

Old 06-13-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessimprov View Post
Politeness can also be rude when honesty is better.
Some people expect other people to "get the hint" when dating- No, No, No. . . .
Just be more direct- maybe you don't know if you're interested, you're no longer interested.
Ghosting is just uncool unless you're physically afraid of the person.
Absolutely. Just say "I don't like you, leave me alone." It's actually much kinder than making them guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology