Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2019, 01:50 AM

720 posts, read 427,817 times

Advertisements

I say thanks generally, or smile when I don't.

I have also never seen a dirty look when I do it, but people generally either say thanks or smile.
There's no point in thinking about the ones that don't. They are probably stuck in a world where people being polite to them means their own capabilities are being underestimated(something like "ugh, I can open a door myself!!").

People are weird. xD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2019, 02:58 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why is that even a question?
Sometimes you do - because it's the right thing to do. Sometimes you don't because...?

Old 06-11-2019, 03:40 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I ALWAYS say thanks when someone holds a door for me, and expect people to do the same. I enjoy being polite and friendly.

Saying thanks is such an easy thing to do as a common courtesy, like saying excuse me when it is warranted.

When someone doesn't say thank you or excuse me, it makes me wonder if these people had no one to teach them manners when they were young. I was taught please and thank you from a very young age by my parents.

Surprisingly, a lot of people don't seem to reach a maturity and understanding where they have an epiphany that the nice and correct thing to do, is to be polite.

I believe teachers could, and should teach children basic manners, especially if they realize that a child doesn't get any instruction of the basics at home.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:45 AM

7,990 posts, read 5,381,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post

Has anyone noticed this trend as well?

Or are you someone who doesn’t appreciate having a door held for you when you walk in? If so, why not?
First question--no, haven't noticed the trend.

As for the second question--sometimes it is awkward. I do dislike when I am 20 feet or more from the door and someone holds the door for me. Now I have to "hurry, pick up my pace".

If I really think about this question--it is odd that some people make this big production into "holding the door". I hold the door for someone mothers with babies, elderly people, FEDex guy carrying packages and the like.

I do say thank you when it happens. If I hold the door for someone, I don't pay attention if they say thank you or not--I did it to be helpful, not for the purpose of getting a thank you.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:31 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,352,228 times
I say thanks if they hold it for more than a split second or they actually turn around to hold it. I DON'T like it when guys (and it's always guys) who are too far ahead of me hold the door and then I have to hurry up so they don't have to wait.

If I have to hurry to partake of their favor then it's no favor, especially since I really can get the door all by myself anyway. Putting someone out with ANY kind of "favor" is really all about you and not the person you purport to be helping.

Old 06-11-2019, 05:59 AM

1,493 posts, read 1,518,718 times
I thought everyone was friendly in the pacific NW.

Just about everyone here in southern NJ is very polite on this topic. If I take my 88 year old mother with me when shopping or to a restaurant people go out of their way to be kind/polite to her. Always make me smile..

Old 06-11-2019, 06:08 AM

577 posts, read 493,266 times
"Do you say “thanks” to people who hold the door for you? "

No, I don't. I say ….." Thank you".

Old 06-11-2019, 06:27 AM

1,734 posts, read 1,202,043 times
Absolutely, I hold the door for anyone who is not far behind me.

More often than not, people thank me. If they don't, I'm not going to shame them or waste any time ruminating about the fact that they did not. I only have control of my own manners.

Absolutely, I will smile and say "thank you" if the door is held for me.

I haven't noticed any trend. As it has always been, I usually get back what I put out.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 06-11-2019 at 06:35 AM..

Old 06-11-2019, 07:22 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reneeh63 View Post
I say thanks if they hold it for more than a split second or they actually turn around to hold it. I DON'T like it when guys (and it's always guys) who are too far ahead of me hold the door and then I have to hurry up so they don't have to wait.

If I have to hurry to partake of their favor then it's no favor, especially since I really can get the door all by myself anyway. Putting someone out with ANY kind of "favor" is really all about you and not the person you purport to be helping.

I have been one of those people who will hold the door to the point that the person walking up might think they have to rush. I ALWAYS tell them they DON'T have to rush.

My reasoning is...I'm trying to gauge if I let the door go, is it going to shut in their face? Maybe it will, therefore, I'll stand here a few seconds longer, so that the door doesn't shut in the person's face.

Also, I HAVE gone through a door, and never thought about someone being behind me. Then I realize that someone did come out a few seconds after me...and I could've held the door, but I never looked behind me to see if anyone was coming.

In those situations, I apologize, and say something like "I'm sorry, I didn't realize anyone was behind me."

Old 06-11-2019, 07:35 AM

Location: Unlike most on CD, I'm not afraid to give my location: Milwaukee, WI.
1,789 posts, read 4,151,892 times
I always say "thank you" for a door held open. I say "please" and "thank you" for anything and everything someone does for me, even if trivial or they're just doing their job.

I also hold doors open for people all the time. The vast majority thank me. To those that don't, once they have breezed past me while holding the door, I say out loud "You're welcome!"

Manners cost nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology