Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2019, 07:36 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times

Advertisements

I have decidedly not happened to enjoy New Yorkers in their native environment, in general.

I don't run into many who've relocated, here. But I recently was connected by a mutual acquaintance to a woman who just moved here for the husband's work, because our mutual acquaintance identified that we had some common backgrounds and interests. We connected initially via online chat. I do agree that we have some interests in common, that said, She had not even been in town 24 hours and was already finding fault with everything here and being super condescending. I hope she'll understand when I decline to hang out. It was very offputting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2019, 06:11 AM

19,804 posts, read 9,362,001 times
I have not been to New York City, so my opinion is only based on the New Yorkers that I have met elsewhere, and that opinion is that the New Yorkers I have met are rude and/or abrasive and not people I would want as friends.

"Midwestern-nice", fake or not, is just fine with me, and my experience has been exactly like that of Rodentraiser's, and I also absolutely agree with Nov3, too. (Sorry I'm out of reps for now.) Btw, I think that Wisconsinites are the friendliest people I've ever met, and I have lived in, vacationed in, or at least traveled through about 40 states.

P.S. However, my mom, who was born in Ohio and lived there for 30 years, says that the small town Ohioans she knew were exactly as fake-friendly (gossipy and back-stabbing) as some people have described in this thread. However, that was not my experience when I lived there for one year as an adult.

Last edited by katharsis; 06-19-2019 at 06:24 AM..

Old 06-19-2019, 08:25 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times
I live in Midwest and I have family in NYC, I spent my childhood there. My family in NYC and in Detroit gossip the same but that is because we have big family & when you have family gathering people are going to say sh1t about each other. Not all of that gossip is behind peoples back, often times its straight to the face but maybe that is because we did spent our childhood in NYC & have that openness in us. I also have few inlaws in NYC but they don't seem to gossip as much but they are also small family & don't have as much family gathering.

I think people in Midwest do see their family/friends more often so have more things to talk about vs. in big cities those who meet family often are just the same but those who are busy surviving & not mingling much, don't engage in gossip or other people talk.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:16 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
I don't know much about New York or New Yorkers. My sole experience with them was from working for an escrow company, and having to call tax collectors around the country.

New York City tax collectors were abrupt, and if you didn't have your information handy, and if you didn't get to the point, they would cut you off, and probably hang up on you. When you're a typical Midwesterner...it hits you as being pretty rude, and intimidating. LOL

Over time, I came to understand that they're busy people with an F**ked up system, and if you want to get along with a New York City tax collector...Get.To.The.Point. They don't want, and they certainly don't need the niceties that Midwesterners tend to put down. Don't ask them how they're doing, How's the weather? kind of stuff. They don't have time for it, and you will annoy them if you try to engage them that way. lol

Old 06-23-2019, 03:44 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,866,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
Never heard "Midwest Nice." Certainly heard "Minnesota Nice." Minnesota Nice can cover passive aggression but it's actually pretty "nice" most of the time. The difference between Southern Hospitality or Manners and Minnesota Nice is that Minnesota Nice reserves judgement, but will speak up if something sounds ill advised.
Agreed. I picture it as my mom whispering: "beeee niiice!" If she thought I was going to be more 'truthful' than required. Not telling someone they smell, have had too much to drink, shouldn't be eating so much tator tot hotdish, isn't all that passive aggressive, it's just not wanting to be the b word, actually caring if you might hurt someone's feelings.

I'm glad I've slowly learned to stand up for myself when forced to choose though, and not put other's feelings first always. It's confusing when one is young, and can be insidious, especially in situations of abuse. (Be nice and sit on grandpa's lap).

Old 06-24-2019, 02:43 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,656,371 times
I always thought Midwesterner 's were down to earth types, but after reading this thread...

Old 06-24-2019, 02:53 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I always thought Midwesterner 's were down to earth types, but after reading this thread...
I thought that too....at first. After living here for a year or 2, realized I was sorely mistaken. I'm sure I pissed some people off by saying I missed Atlanta, but they are so closed minded here. I just don't get the culture at all.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:31 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlguy39 View Post
I thought that too....at first. After living here for a year or 2, realized I was sorely mistaken. I'm sure I pissed some people off by saying I missed Atlanta, but they are so closed minded here. I just don't get the culture at all.
Huh. As an Ohioan, I'd never considered Oklahoma to be the Midwest. It's always seemed more Southern/Southwestern.

Old 06-24-2019, 03:37 PM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Huh. As an Ohioan, I'd never considered Oklahoma to be the Midwest. It's always seemed more Southern/Southwestern.
Its technically "Plains", but same attitude as Midwest from everything I've seen/heard. Nothing like the real south, speaking as someone who grew up in the south and lived in the south until moving here. Huge cultural difference. I find most to be flaky and not authentic.

Old 06-25-2019, 03:25 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,581,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post

I don't know what being 'down to earth' is or what behaviors 'down to earth' encompasses.

I have no idea what it means.....to you.

Does it mean not being intellectual?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology