Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2019, 10:41 PM

8,781 posts, read 9,446,868 times

Advertisements

“unsolicited” proclamations are always self motivated and usually done to mask true intentions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 11:03 PM

2,083 posts, read 1,086,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
You mean like this? https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-l...nd-you/2751966

LOL

Noting the bolded. I do none of that....at all. I could start a NORMAL conversation with a woman and they'd be monosyllabic with me. As if they didn't want to be bothered.

I recall a time around the holidays where I was at a coffee shop, ordered a coffee. An attractive woman ordered right after me, so we were both waiting. It was quiet there, so I broke the ice with something like, "So you get much of your Christmas shopping done?" She looks at me briefly and says, "No" and looks straight back ahead.

I asked her what kind of brew she got, and she told me pumpkin spice. And I said, "Oh, sounds good, I should try that some time". She just nodded and left. Didn't even say, "Have a Merry Christmas" or "It was nice talking with you" of course, the latter was untrue considering how brief it was.

Of course, this COULD be regional, cultural thing. I know in some areas had I done that, they'd chat your ear off. People will wave at strangers. I know a woman that JUST moved here 3 months ago, and she noticed how totally cliquish and fish bowl community this area is.

It's like if you're new in town, they don't want to know you. And, people still remain AND hang out with their high school friends from 20 to 30 years ago.
I would’ve talked to you . I think some people just aren’t friendly or chatty, or they’re hit on all the time and are spoiled and smug.

Old 06-25-2019, 05:06 AM

1,908 posts, read 1,272,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I worked with 100 guys and 4 women. My former boss and new boss both sexually harassed me until I get demoted and then let go.

Besides that, I was treated much better than from my coworkers and the supervisors as in a company with more women.

I am really surprised the women in your company get ignored. When guys see only guys all day, a woman usually becomes very popular even if not that pretty. The military is the best example.
I went on a business trip recently out of state, and the owner wanted the female engineer to go with me. I was flat out like "NOPE! No way in hell!".

Old 06-25-2019, 05:40 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
I went on a business trip recently out of state, and the owner wanted the female engineer to go with me. I was flat out like "NOPE! No way in hell!".
And then you were written up for insubordination? lol

Old 06-25-2019, 06:09 AM

10,216 posts, read 8,301,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by picardlx View Post
Aren't you worrying about their worrying?
Nope. The thing is I don't butt into other people's lives and mind my own business. That's how you stay out of conflict with other people.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:12 AM

2,483 posts, read 2,473,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
But what if trip with you could have provided the informal mentoring that could have advanced her career (in an otherwise male dominated field), if she were young?

I understand your reaction, given current climate. But that's why I wish 'we' can get past the point were people feel the need to build all these barriers (on both sides).

Old 06-25-2019, 06:18 AM

10,341 posts, read 5,861,074 times
Quote:
But what if trip with you could have provided the informal mentoring that could have advanced her career (in an otherwise male dominated field), if she were young?

I understand your reaction, given current climate. But that's why I wish 'we' can get past the point were people feel the need to build all these barriers (on both sides).
Agreed. There would be separate rooms, so it’s not all that difficult to expect professionalism... but to refuse may create more problems than accepting. The one “refusing” may be told to stay home if they can’t go, so someone else can.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisTown123 View Post
And then you were written up for insubordination? lol
No actually, it was understood why I said "no". He just wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Old 06-25-2019, 06:28 AM

Quote:

I understand your reaction, given current climate. But that's why I wish 'we' can get past the point were
people feel the need to build all these barriers (on both sides).
I don't think that will happen within the next 10 years. It takes time for things like this to decay. This is a product of the mess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RbccL View Post
Agreed. There would be separate rooms, so it’s not all that difficult to expect professionalism... but to refuse may create more problems than accepting. The one “refusing” may be told to stay home if they can’t go, so someone else can.
Again, it was understood why I said "no". It just wasn't thought of at the moment.

Now I see it getting to the point where someone loses their job because they don't want to be in that position of being accused LOL. There is just no winning!

Old 06-25-2019, 06:39 AM

3,926 posts, read 2,033,417 times
Quote:

Agreed, quite a poor life decision this guy made, based upon only of the gender of his co-worker? I guess he thought this somehow applied to the relationship board , but also maybe committed career suicide. Nothing to b e proud about for the sake of fearing the opposite sex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology