Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2019, 10:44 AM

88 posts, read 65,111 times

Advertisements

In the media and in real life. It seems insane but commenting on YouTube videos or other online forums as well as talking to people in real life gives the impression that people are on the surface, less condemning of mass shooters than they are of suicidal people. I know the two are different but it's striking.

If you kill yourself, everyone calls you selfish, weak/cowardly and you can see this on many videos of celebrities or stories of suicie survivors on YouTube. The same statements are reiterated in real life.

On the other hand, if you go out and kill a bunch of people and commit terrorism, mass shootings, or a murder suicide, people condemn you less. Most don't condone it but some do (Elliot Rodger, Stephen Paddock, Adam Lanza). Even on this forum I'd say the difference exists.

Perhaps people can easily distance themselves from mass shootings and don't condemn the killer as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2019, 11:00 AM

50,721 posts, read 36,424,154 times
Only other insane people condone it, normal people do not think less of people who commit suicide than those who commit mass murder, that's ridiculous IMO.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:10 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Many people condemn suicide victims. There is a lot of condemnation there. It's called "selfish", "cowardly" and a host of other negative labels. I see this time after time after time. Our society is too judgmental and there is also a lot of ignorance about mental health issues.

Old 06-29-2019, 12:22 PM

720 posts, read 427,817 times
I think every mental issue comes from cowardice. The cowardice of facing the reality.
People are afraid and anxious that they don't have enough strength.
Personally, I do use the word coward, but in a very light sense, because when I say that people are afraid, others don't seem to get exactly what I mean. Probably cause if you say that someone is afraid, it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't act despite being afraid. But a coward would mostly avoid or feel paralyzed in a situation that causes them fear or anxiety.

Mass shooters and every murderer in general are for me the same as people who kill themselves. Obviously technically you are not hurting anyone, but psychologically the effect is similar to other people.

Mass shooters are usually not condemned as much, cause it is obvious how unstable one must be to do such a thing. While a suicide victim is mostly seen as a drama queen that is afraid of living. Sad but.. :/

Old 06-29-2019, 02:03 PM

88 posts, read 65,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShotPutFX View Post
Your premise is dubious, if not flat out wrong.
Not really. In general, when people talk about mass shooters, they still condemn it but almost in a general way "Stephen Paddock was crazy, mentally ill".

When it comes to suicide, many people instantly condemn the suicidal person and all the blame is laid on them.

Im trying to say that in mass shootings like the Las Vegas shootings or Isla Vista shootings, people can talk about the event without speaking ill of the shooter. "we need better gun control".

Old 06-29-2019, 02:28 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,371,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I think every mental issue comes from cowardice. The cowardice of facing the reality. :/
I don't think mental health issues are caused by moral failure. I think they are caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:34 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
Not really. In general, when people talk about mass shooters, they still condemn it but almost in a general way "Stephen Paddock was crazy, mentally ill".

When it comes to suicide, many people instantly condemn the suicidal person and all the blame is laid on them.

Im trying to say that in mass shootings like the Las Vegas shootings or Isla Vista shootings, people can talk about the event without speaking ill of the shooter. "we need better gun control".
Not true. There is condemnation of the shooter as well as gun laws. Yes, there is condemnation of suicides, but even if they are initially labeled as cowardly, it is often a knee jerk emotional response. Then the more meaningful conversation usually gets around to mental illness as well as empathy and sorrow for them. I think you have selective hearing/reading, or you are not listening or reading long enough. And that makes all the difference.

Old 06-29-2019, 02:53 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,645,470 times
They're both murders, and *most* people (online anyway) are suicide apologists - pro-suicide people abound (because they want an excuse to murder themselves if they feel like it).

Old 06-29-2019, 06:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
They're both murders, and *most* people (online anyway) are suicide apologists - pro-suicide people abound (because they want an excuse to murder themselves if they feel like it).
What is the difference between an excuse or a reason?
Perspective.
Try it.

Old 06-29-2019, 06:44 PM

1,891 posts, read 2,531,250 times
I guess the OP and myself must live in totally different worlds because I've never had that impression. Sure there are those that condemn suicide just as much or even more than murder but I don't have the impression that they are condemned anywhere near those who commit unlawful homicide (murder). We're talking about numbers here and to me murder is condemned a whole lot more than suicide is. Ex. Just look at the comment section on Yahoo whenever there's a story about a murder. Then look at comments when there's a suicide that makes the news. In the murder story most posters condemn the killer (maybe also bringing up mental illness). In the suicide story there are a minority that condemn the dead person for being "selfish" or "cowardly" but those are far outnumbered by posters that offer condolences and sympathy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
They are not both murders. It isn't unlawful to kill yourself. You need to look up the definition of "murder".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gohangr View Post
I think every mental issue comes from cowardice. The cowardice of facing the reality.
People are afraid and anxious that they don't have enough strength.
Personally, I do use the word coward, but in a very light sense, because when I say that people are afraid, others don't seem to get exactly what I mean. Probably cause if you say that someone is afraid, it doesn't necessarily mean that he won't act despite being afraid. But a coward would mostly avoid or feel paralyzed in a situation that causes them fear or anxiety.
I think your attitude is a big reason why a lot of people don't seek help for mental illness. By your logic if someone witnesses a traumatic event and develops PTSD because of it, they're a coward because they can't face reality right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology