Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2019, 10:04 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post

No, but "mid-thigh when sitting down" isn't bare minimum either - actually sounds fairly conservative.
In a strip club, maybe. "Conservative" can be relative.

Quote:
Not necessarily - I can believe that some people are unreasonable in their expectations of modesty. Like a dress code that says no skirts above the knee seems unnecessarily conservative - a skirt above the knee is not necessarily a "judgement problem". Of course, if your place of work makes that policy clear and you decide to ignore it, then getting sent home is on you - but it doesn't necessarily mean you have a clothing judgement problem (maybe a behavioral judgement problem by being deliberately defiant but that's different).
Yes, necessarily.

It doesn't take much to abide by most workplace dress codes. And the inability to distinguish between work-appropriate and club-appropriate is a judgment problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2019, 10:07 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KimNChicago View Post
People have been policing women's clothes and bodies for centuries, likely since monotheism was adopted. I'm always happy to see women bucking society's rules and laws.
You think men don't have dress codes in professional settings? Of course they do. If a man showed up to work in someplace like a bank wearing a skirt, how do you think that would go down? Or in swim trunks? I'm pretty sure if you work in someplace like a bank, men aren't even allowed to wear shorts, even dress shorts. My dad used to work for a company which had no dress code when they started out - but then the men started really abusing the freedom and showing up to work in ripped jeans and sweats and they finally had to enact a dress code. Because of the way the men were dressing, not the women.

I'm all for both men and women being allowed to wear whatever they want in their personal time, but in a work setting, there are generally dress codes for everyone so let's not pretend like it's only women.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:08 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
In a strip club, maybe. "Conservative" can be relative.
Clearly. Apparently some people think if you're not wearing a full Burka then you belong in a strip club.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:09 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Clearly. Apparently some people think if you're not wearing a full Burka then you belong in a strip club.
I guess some do. Luckily I don't know any.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:17 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:

I have to agree with this.

If you want to have a 'conservative' dress code, than the specifics need to be spelled out, because everyone's ideas about conservative are all over the place.

If a skirt above the knee is too short, than the dress code needs to say "at the knee or longer". Not "conservative". If jeans aren't allowed, but coral denim is fine, than the rules need to say "blue jeans are to be worn only on casual Fridays" or whatever.

Old 07-12-2019, 10:48 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
I have to agree with this.

If you want to have a 'conservative' dress code, than the specifics need to be spelled out, because everyone's ideas about conservative are all over the place.

If a skirt above the knee is too short, than the dress code needs to say "at the knee or longer". Not "conservative". If jeans aren't allowed, but coral denim is fine, than the rules need to say "blue jeans are to be worn only on casual Fridays" or whatever.
There's something to be said about observation and judgment in that regard.

When I was in the military, the dress regulations were spelled out to that degree (dress hem "on the kneecap").

In a civilian corporation, most women around me seem to have sense enough to look around at their peers and determine what is considered appropriate.

There is the old corporate rule: "Look at how the people who are in the position to which you aspire dress, and dress like them."

I suspect that's a subtle test of judgment in itself.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:21 AM

3,217 posts, read 2,433,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I see all kinds of ink being spilled on this topic. Honestly, I dont care what women wear, when they wear it, what color it is. If its a horrible color, I'll look the other way. If she's got cleavage, butt cheeks, or camel toe showing, I may look or maybe not.

But what I dont get is women who want to show that much skin or criticize others who do? One time, a coworker of mine was sent home because of a short skirt. It came mid thigh sitting down? Her butt was completely covered. ? I don't get it.
Inappropriate is situational. A bikini on the beach isn't inappropriate, walking into a restaurant, even a beachside restaurant without putting on a cover up and some sort of footwear is. It may not be inappropriate if the restaurant has outdoor patio seating on the beach but that is up to the restaurant if they want shoes and shirt/cover up. Wearing a bikini off the back of a motorcycle is also inappropriate not to mention the skin damage that will occur if you fall off. Dress code in work is up to the employer. While I like to be casual I think some take casual too far which is why employers who have dress down Friday's have to state exactly what constitutes appropriate dress down. People seem to have lost the ability to know what is appropriate where.

Old 07-12-2019, 11:58 AM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Don't think that men haven't also had a strict dress code all that time as well.
Why not? They could go to work dressed in tank tops, cargo shorts, and slippers. Not to mention pajamas.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:21 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,029,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
There's something to be said about observation and judgment in that regard.

When I was in the military, the dress regulations were spelled out to that degree (dress hem "on the kneecap").

In a civilian corporation, most women around me seem to have sense enough to look around at their peers and determine what is considered appropriate.

There is the old corporate rule: "Look at how the people who are in the position to which you aspire dress, and dress like them."

I suspect that's a subtle test of judgment in itself.

That would seem to imply the judgement from others is more important than the actual dress code. And maybe, for a lot of people, that's exactly what's more important. Being judgey.

Old 07-12-2019, 12:30 PM

28,671 posts, read 18,795,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
That would seem to imply the judgement from others is more important than the actual dress code. And maybe, for a lot of people, that's exactly what's more important. Being judgey.
Judgment is part of a manager's job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology