Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2019, 02:13 PM

88 posts, read 65,192 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado Rambler View Post
I have not heard of young killers being called "spoiled," myself. Some of them may be socio- or psychopaths. Certaqinly all of them have some profound emotional/psychological damage. When I think of "spoiled" I think of spoiled brats which would hardly be used as a term for a murderer.
What about Elliot Rodger? Many call him entitled for feeling he was owed sex and wanted to kill others to get it.

I see where that would come from. He lived a privileged lifestyle in Isla Vista.

Maybe its just me sharing my thoughts with a former therapist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2019, 02:43 PM

12,042 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
What about Elliot Rodger? Many call him entitled for feeling he was owed sex and wanted to kill others to get it.

I see where that would come from. He lived a privileged lifestyle in Isla Vista.

Maybe its just me sharing my thoughts with a former therapist.
Yes, there has been quite a lot in the news about this phenomenon that in his case the press labeled "affluenza." Affluence meaning having an abundance of material wealth. I think there have even been some court cases where defense lawyers have used it.

I've never thought that children having money and privilege is a handicapping psychological situation by itself. Isn't it when the money and privilege are used by the child's caregivers as a substitute for loving attention and teaching moral values that problems arise?

Old 07-26-2019, 02:53 PM

88 posts, read 65,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
Yes, there has been quite a lot in the news about this phenomenon that in his case the press labeled "affluenza." Affluence meaning having an abundance of material wealth. I think there have even been some court cases where defense lawyers have used it.

I've never thought that children having money and privilege is a handicapping psychological situation by itself. Isn't it when the money and privilege are used by the child's caregivers as a substitute for loving attention and teaching moral values that problems arise?
Yes, and truth be told. Life is unfair. Most people in my school who are successful would again be called spoiled on the surface because they came from wealth but they were the ones getting straight A's and going on holidays.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Quote:
This is something that some people say but I wonder why? If a kid gets bullied in school and online then reaches breaking point and stabs his bully, he'll be called spoiled. I was also called this when I was talking to a therapist and young expressing similar sentiments (though never went through with any of it) towards my bullies.

My question is why is killing someone considered spoiled? It's definitely a grave offense if not one of the most grave offenses one can commit but people definitely make a distinction if it's a middle aged person doing it vs a young person. Ted Bundy for example is considered crazy, immoral, insane and has an auora of fascination among some people whereas someone like Elliot Rodger is considered entitled, bratty, selfish etc.. They both killed people yet the latter received more 'condemnation'. Why is that?

If a young person were to rape or molest a child, they also would be looked as depraved but not spoiled in the same way. Why is this?
I think most of the time they are neglected or abused. Sometimes they were spoiled. How many of us have met young men who feel entitled because all their lives they were never held accountable for their actions. They were led to believe they were special and entitled to do whatever they felt like. But usually they were abused, I think.

Old 07-26-2019, 03:54 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,382,658 times
The term "spoiled" is meaningless.

A sense of entitlement usually comes from narcissism, which is a personality disorder. What causes this disorder is something for a psychiatrist to answer.

Old 07-26-2019, 04:41 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,979,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I've never heard of this in my life.
Just happened here in NYC, and no one is calling the kid "spoiled":

//www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-stabbing.html

Old 07-26-2019, 05:22 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Spoiled used regarding kids or sometimes adults, usually means (to me) someone who has been indulged and now feels entitled. I don’t know why anyone would use the word to mean, retaliatory attacker.

I wonder if the OP was not clear in the original post, or perhaps they have a specific example in mind.

Old 07-26-2019, 06:28 PM

135 posts, read 89,939 times
Quote:
My question is why is killing someone considered spoiled? It's definitely a grave offense if not one of the most grave offenses one can commit but people definitely make a distinction if it's a middle aged person doing it vs a young person. Ted Bundy for example is considered crazy, immoral, insane and has an auora of fascination among some people whereas someone like Elliot Rodger is considered entitled, bratty, selfish etc.. They both killed people yet the latter received more 'condemnation'. Why is that?

If a young person were to rape or molest a child, they also would be looked as depraved but not spoiled in the same way. Why is this?
Ted Bundy and Elliot Rodger were both sociopaths. Elliot was considered entitled, bratty, and selfish because he was. He was given a BMW, designer sunglasses, and whatever the heck else he wanted without working for it and felt that the world owed him a woman to have sex with. That's about as entitled, bratty, and selfish as it gets.

Old 07-26-2019, 08:54 PM

6,456 posts, read 3,978,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post
I've never heard of this in my life.
I haven't, either. Perhaps in cases of kids who are known to be rich kids with no real problems who clearly felt entitled-- killed someone for fun, or because they didn't like their shoes or the side of town they lived on, or some such, but not most kids, I'd say.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post

I would say it's more that they were allowed to think that because they had money, they were better than other people (and hence have little empathy for other people; their feelings/wants/needs don't matter because they're not as important). And in the case of "affluenza," didn't have enough to do/worry about, that they had plenty of time/means/opportunity go around getting in trouble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
I think most of the time they are neglected or abused. Sometimes they were spoiled. How many of us have met young men who feel entitled because all their lives they were never held accountable for their actions. They were led to believe they were special and entitled to do whatever they felt like. But usually they were abused, I think.
Oh no, I have known plenty of people of both sexes who felt entitled for all of the reasons except your last sentence. Most of the stories I hear of abuse go the other way, where the kids are taught they're worthless. And a fair number of the "entitled young men" I've known of weren't abused-- rather the opposite; the problem is that they were raised like Mommy's little prince who could do no wrong and never had to lift a finger, and Mommy (later to be interpreted as women in general) worships, and will and should do anything for, them.

Old 07-26-2019, 09:37 PM

1,503 posts, read 607,520 times
Huh?
OP, you are confusing two completely different things.
It's one thing to kill someone in retaliation. If kid is abused in school and turns out and kills abusers - that's a normal human trait. Actually, for adults law is protecting the person that did self-defense. In Florida that law is called "stand your ground".

It's completely different thing to kill out of boredom or feeling of entitlement. This is not normal human trait.

What's so hard about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology