Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2019, 01:25 PM

88 posts, read 65,174 times

Advertisements

I've wondered whether people are not attracted to parents and siblings (because cousin incest is actually accepted in many parts of the world and less genetically "harmful") due to mostly biological ingraining or social ones.

The Westermarck Effect would point to it being mostly cultural i.e. the people you grow up with and live with cause your brain to desensitize any sexual feelings. This might explain why adopted children of women who are very young and attractive still don't find them arousing even though there's no basis for incest repulsion.

Similarly, genetic brothers/sisters who are separated at birth in foster homes sometimes meet later and fall in love (there was a case about that).

But what do you think? Are you attracted to any family members?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2019, 01:27 PM

2,089 posts, read 3,906,520 times
Biological. Inbreeding will destroy the tribe.

Old 07-31-2019, 03:20 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
Are there cross-cultural studies? What do they say?

Old 07-31-2019, 03:23 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
Are there cross-cultural studies? What do they say?
Fourth cousins make the best mates. There's enough genetic difference for it to be safe and the cultural similarities typically weigh in your favor and the physiologies complement each other.

"Couples who are third or fourth cousins tend to have more kids and grandkids than other couples. And though considered somewhat of a cultural taboo, mating between "kissing cousins" makes good biological sense, say scientists."

from

Kissing Cousins Have More Kids

Old 07-31-2019, 04:58 PM

1,663 posts, read 876,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticseas View Post
I've wondered whether people are not attracted to parents and siblings (because cousin incest is actually accepted in many parts of the world and less genetically "harmful") due to mostly biological ingraining or social ones.

The Westermarck Effect would point to it being mostly cultural i.e. the people you grow up with and live with cause your brain to desensitize any sexual feelings. This might explain why adopted children of women who are very young and attractive still don't find them arousing even though there's no basis for incest repulsion.

Similarly, genetic brothers/sisters who are separated at birth in foster homes sometimes meet later and fall in love (there was a case about that).

Inbreeding may be "accepted"among cousins, but it still causes huge problems. About half of all muslims in the world are inbred, with devastating results. Studies show inbreeding leads to very high risk of birth defects, malformations, and infant mortality doubles. There are also high rates of mental disorders such as depression and schizophrenia, and children of cousin marriages average 10-16 points lower IQ, along with poorly developed social abilities.
https://www.10news.one/what-are-the-...among-muslims/

I would think that there would be a biological "safety" to discourage inbreeding, since if it is done for a long enough period it will destroy the gene pool. And no, I have absolutely no attraction to any family members.

Old 08-01-2019, 01:34 AM

720 posts, read 428,619 times
I would say it's both because obviously if it's biological it may cause also social problems in the long run.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:10 AM

854 posts, read 520,486 times
I can't imagine being attracted to any of my brothers. I don't really have too much of a issue with such thing as long as people in that situation are consenting adults and they don't try to have children due to the massive risks. I mean it happens. It's none of my business.

Old 08-01-2019, 05:15 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,718,414 times
Quote:

I was when we were much younger.

I think it is at least 98% cultural, way overblown, way overemphasized, and I'd venture way over-acted in response to cultural expectation.

Old 08-01-2019, 07:54 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:

I used to have crushes on some of my cousins...for what it's worth. They were a few years older than me, so I doubt they felt the same. lol

BUT, I knew they were cousins, and "off limits" so to speak, for that reason. So, even if there WAS mutual attraction...it would've been a no-go, because we're cousins.

Old 08-01-2019, 08:16 AM

4,286 posts, read 4,761,312 times
It's at least part (mostly ?) biological.

Look at the ancient Egyptian monarchy. A lot of them married a sibling and it caused health issues. Some of King Tut's health problems were attributed to the fact he was the product of a brother/sister marriage. https://www.ancient-origins.net/news...-003045http://

Inbreeding caused the Royal Hapsburg dynasty in Spain to die out. Inbreeding & the downfall of the Spanish Hapsburgs - Gene Expression

I've personally never been attracted to a relative.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology