Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2019, 05:57 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,965,100 times

Advertisements

and me.
look around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2019, 09:52 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,651,220 times
OP: As an exercise in awareness, next time you are about to do something "nice," examine your motives and ask yourself *why* you are doing whatever. What is the payoff?

Old 08-06-2019, 10:03 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,183,689 times
Being nice is a great thing. We need more kind, friendly people in the world.

Old 08-07-2019, 07:36 AM

127 posts, read 61,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
One can have a friendly disposition and still be ‘people smart’ or intelligent. Kindness (or being pleasant/courteous in public) doesn’t automatically negate awareness or make one naive/stupid. There is a huge difference between being a ‘pushover’ and being ‘nice’. The former has to do with how easily someone is influenced and nothing to do with being nice or courteous. Pushovers lack awareness.
This right here is spot on!

Old 08-07-2019, 09:07 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I'm a 21 year old male.

I've been told by multiple people my whole life that I am too nice. They say it like it's a bad thing. People have told me, "I like you, but you are too nice." "You are way too nice." I'm told by multiple people that I am extremely polite and that I am one of the sweetest most kindest guys they've ever met. However, people have also told me that I should not be too nice.

I am honestly just being myself.

Why is being too nice a bad thing?

Being "too nice" makes people think of you as not authentic, I guess. I hear that word a lot. Nice people are phoneys to most folks. It means you are trying too hard to be friendly which in turn inhibits the ability to be genuine.

Overly nice people rarely make true friends. They are often thought of as "weird" or unworthy of friendship because they are seen as not really being interested in getting deeper than the surface with others. So yes, being too nice is thought of as being superficial.

I'll be the first to admit that I am probably way too nice in real life and labeled "weirdo" by most people because I tend not to want to get much involved with people on a close personal level. Kind, extremely polite people are usually guilty of creating ineffectual relationships. Sad but true.

Old 08-07-2019, 09:21 PM

48,525 posts, read 34,843,322 times
Reality isn't always nice, so I guess when a person always is, it doesn't seem real.

I am happy to report that no one has ever said I am too nice. Ever.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 08-07-2019, 09:29 PM

8,666 posts, read 3,866,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aileesic View Post
Being "too nice" makes people think of you as not authentic, I guess. I hear that word a lot. Nice people are phoneys to most folks. It means you are trying too hard to be friendly which in turn inhibits the ability to be genuine.

Overly nice people rarely make true friends. They are often thought of as "weird" or unworthy of friendship because they are seen as not really being interested in getting deeper than the surface with others. So yes, being too nice is thought of as being superficial.

I'll be the first to admit that I am probably way too nice in real life and labeled "weirdo" by most people because I tend not to want to get much involved with people on a close personal level. Kind, extremely polite people are usually guilty of creating ineffectual relationships. Sad but true.
It’s bizarre stereotyping on your part to assume nice people are incapable of making friendships. Are you suggesting being hateful or nasty at the world is more successful in that endeavor?

No one is nice all the time - it depends on how well you know the person, your level of interest, your mood, whether you are interested in engaging or not, etc. You are making all kinds of sweeping generalizations.

Old 08-08-2019, 05:03 AM

7,588 posts, read 4,160,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Exactly! People are using ‘nice’ as a way to define everything from naïveté to boredom, insecurity and/or caring what strangers think.
Yes. They have poor vocabulary or poor elaboration skills.

Old 08-08-2019, 10:53 AM

29,266 posts, read 16,749,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I'm a 21 year old male.

I've been told by multiple people my whole life that I am too nice. They say it like it's a bad thing. People have told me, "I like you, but you are too nice." "You are way too nice." I'm told by multiple people that I am extremely polite and that I am one of the sweetest most kindest guys they've ever met. However, people have also told me that I should not be too nice.

I am honestly just being myself.

Why is being too nice a bad thing?
I would rather be associated with "nice" people any day than meanies. I have a lot of nice, good people in my life and can't imagine them not being there. You are young OP and lots of years to find yourself and place in the world.

Just don't be a doormat to anyone. Take Nice Care of yourself.

Old 08-08-2019, 08:23 PM
Status: "In the words of Steve Winwood, Roll With It!" (set 28 days ago)

296 posts, read 217,449 times
The cartoon character "Underdog" played the role of another character, "Shoe Shine Boy", and even with his meek, humble nature knew he should be suspicious of those he served.

After shining someone's shoes, and they paid him, he checked to make sure it was real money, and not just candy that looked like money:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6e-AZkbiWc8
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology