Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 01:44 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0K2b5S3bafM

I just listened to this Moody Blues song and it always gives me goose bumps. It is from "War of the Worlds".

I know there is lots of other music that does it for me, but what music gives you that reaction? From Wikipedia:

Music[edit]
Canadian researchers have suggested that when humans are moved by music their brains behave as if reacting to delicious food, psychoactive drugs, or money.[17] The pleasure experience is driven by the chemical dopamine, which produces physical effects known as "chills" that cause changes in heart rate, breathing, temperature and the skin's electrical conductance. The responses correlate with the degree to which people rate the "pleasurability" of music.[18] Dopamine release is greatest when listeners had a strong emotional response to music. "If music-induced emotional states can lead to dopamine release, as our findings indicate, it may begin to explain why musical experiences are so valued,” wrote the scientists.[
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 02:10 PM

11,054 posts, read 6,643,077 times
OMG, this does:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ns3F5vCpnjg

Old 08-13-2019, 02:17 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Oh gosh...so many songs. Interesting that Moody Blues was mentioned. "Ride My See Saw" is one of them, for me. "Bolero" is another one. Gypsy's "Dead and Gone" is another. Jeff Beck's "Blue Wind". Here's a video of Blue Wind

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDTcmavN5Rc

Old 08-13-2019, 02:20 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
Oh, so many to choose from!

Just about everything by Jean Sibelius; the Karelia Suite, Finlandia, Lemminkainen, Valse triste, etc.

Alexander Borodin's tone poem In the Steppes of Central Asia

So many pieces by Chopin, hard to list them.

Performances by Andres Segovia

Old 08-13-2019, 02:22 PM

1,210 posts, read 888,712 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7-qJ0afB_4

Old 08-13-2019, 02:39 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
"Countdown" by Rush, from "Signals (1982)". Last track. Lot of sampling of real audio from the Young & Crippen STS-1 Columbia launch on 12 April 1981, first shuttle mission AFAIK. Rush were guests and had great seats, however one finagles that.

I saw STS-134 Endeavour, second to last mission. I was on the shoreline near Titusville, my own great seat I sat on for about six hours prior to dawn. There will be *no more SS missions,* as currently kitted, so thought it was important I at least see one and circumstance fell together in May 2011. See those pictures of men w/trembling lip and women weeping and pointing at Apollo (or SS launches)? Yeah, it's that moving. The pride you feel, as an American, and (to quote Rush) "This magic day, when super science mingles with the bright stuff of dreams!"

To...this...day I cannot hear "Countdown" without thinking of the sadness of Challenger, the triumph of Columbia, the tragedy of Columbia later, and the last mission Atlantis and all they did. It's emotional as all-hell, to some of the comments bottom of OP's post. The whole program was a marvelous leap forward,though not at all what they thought during planning in the 1970s, unf. I think they'd have been happier with 500 launches. Or a thousand. Alas, the realities and harshness of errors plus budgeting got them far as it did. Each is a stepping stone to something better, in this case commercial tech.

And Rush captured a lot of that excitement, to an as-usual stupendous musical background. It just WORKS, baby. Below is someone's remuxing with modern footage (a Discovery launch, or more likely several), expanding on the original video from that era (that was crappy, of course).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyA6...Y&pbjreload=10

Old 08-13-2019, 03:22 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,025,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal_Native View Post

Oh SoCal! Just for this very song, we could be very best friends for LIFE.

How did I forget about Genesis? I saw this concert, and it was practically a religious experience!

Old 08-13-2019, 03:49 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,585,138 times
Too many to name.

Old 08-13-2019, 05:22 PM

189 posts, read 178,663 times
Mine is Pink Floyd Comfortable Numb. David Gilmore's solo sends shivers up and down my spine. The hairs on my arms and legs stands up. For me, this song is almost a religious experience.

-G

Old 08-13-2019, 05:23 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post
I just listened to this Moody Blues song and it always gives me goose bumps. It is from "War of the Worlds".

Justin Hayward, NOT Moody Blues! Written by Jeff Wayne and sung by Justin Hawyard. The rest of the Moodies were not involved at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology