Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 09:51 AM

20,390 posts, read 14,661,936 times

Advertisements

I don't think it was a single point but I'd say the timeframe of getting out of my marriage, that was like the end of a prison sentence and the beginning of my actual...life.

It didn't happen all in a moment, though. It took time. It was about a year from the time I broke up with him, to the point where I moved out...the official divorce took even longer. Was the turning point the moment I realized that no kind of happily ever after was going to be possible for us? The moment he made contact with a woman from his past that he carried an obsession with? The moment I actually broke up with him, or the next night when he held me at gunpoint for some 8-10 hours straight? The moment when, for the first time in 18 years, I had sex with a man who was not him? When I finally moved out, or when the divorce was final? Or even when I left behind the social groups I'd been involved with before, and joined the one I am involved with now, which was a huge part of my life transformation as well and went hand-in-hand with my divorce?

I would say that most of the span from March 2014 to March 2016, a two year timeframe, and maybe even beyond, was my life navigating a turning point, like...like turning around an aircraft carrier in the ocean or something. My life does not quite turn on a dime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2019, 10:09 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Finding out the world does at all work the way I'd been taught.

Ambition turned to cynicism.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:15 AM

5,353 posts, read 5,792,740 times
First turning point was leaving South Florida and moving to Atlanta in my 20's. That led to making some good friends and getting married. That all fell apart in 2009. I moved halfway across the country in 2012, and have been extremely unhappy and lonely. Waiting for the next turning point, hopefully before I die.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:10 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times
Moving to the US. I turned from a party girl to a super responsible adult within a week.
My freshly married hubby surprisingly turned out to be a lazy slob with no money handling skills, no sense of responsibility. One of us had to grow up or we would have been out of food and shelter in no time.

Old 08-14-2019, 01:47 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
We only get one? There have been several "turning points" in my life. Some good, some bad. There will probably be others. Last time I checked I was still alive!

Old 08-14-2019, 07:47 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Default Change in summer camp

If pressed I would have to say, during the summer of 1972, switching from a "mellow" sports-oriented camp (I had no choice, I was kicked out) to one which had construction, driving instruction, and intellectually interesting, off-site trips. The school year before I was picked on incessantly; the next year I was reasonably popular. Even my athletics improved; I was a soccer fullback but when put in as forward to deter some abusive opponents I scored a goal. Even my father's untimely death at age 47 did not prevent it from being a good year, albeit bittersweet.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:32 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,842,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberDaviesx View Post
in life i mean

i would say getting my current job which allowed me to move out of my parents home.

When my two sons were born I had to stop being a self absorbed idiot and grow up and be a role model. When you have two little kids watching your every move, and thinking Dad walks on water, you can't be messing around......too much at stake. It makes you realize the world does not revolve around you alone.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:30 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,315,114 times
When my husband died in 2010. While we loved each other very much we were not good for each other despite being married 26 years. Eight months later I was diagnosed with breast cancer, a few years after that thyroid cancer. I am fine now and I realized that I am much stronger than I gave myself credit for in previous years. I bought my own house two years ago and life has been pretty good.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:51 AM

17,620 posts, read 17,674,997 times
Many moments. My 8 years in the Navy had the most impact. Came close to death at least three times in the Navy. Visited countries that had only recently were freed from a Communist rule. Saw people literally living in mud brick huts across the street from huge expensive mansions. Saw men selling young girls on the street. Saw a beggar boy whose tongue was cut out by his own family to make him a better beggar. Saw a young man whose legs were twisted and knobby like tree roots because previous government’s police caught him as a thieving boy and broke his legs in several places to prevent him from running from them again then prevented the people from helping him. I saw women treated horribly by the men of their family as well as other men on the streets. I saw police arrest all African men because a woman told them an African man stole her purse and held them until she was ready to come in and pick the one she believed stole her purse. I’ve seen women who voluntarily worked as prostitutes as a way to holiday across Europe and places where women were forced into this line of work (stayed away from those places).

Old 08-15-2019, 06:54 AM

35,072 posts, read 31,302,097 times
Probably moving halfway across the country alone at 25. I'm from a small town in Tennessee and hadn't lived outside of Tennessee, Virginia, or a bit of time in South Carolina. I don't think I had ever been west of Nashville or north of DC at that point. I got a better job in Iowa, put a trailer on the SUV, and off I went. You learn a lot when your hundreds of miles away from any friends or family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology