Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 04:57 PM

17,597 posts, read 17,623,242 times

Advertisements

Twisted phone receiver cords. I have to stop and untangle them when I see it at work.

Paper money. They have to be right side up, face to back (all faces forward), smallest bills to the front.

Taking pills. Have to put left hand behind head as I drink water to swallow pills.

Showering. Wash hair, wash body from top down and dry from head down while standing in tub. Dry leg and step out with that leg before drying the other leg to step out the tub.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2019, 07:34 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,844,304 times
Pictures must be hung straight.

Dining room tables and chairs must be centered in a room, with the window, under a centered light fixture.

Paper money must be as you described.

Bed must be made in the morning.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 PM

19,796 posts, read 9,331,249 times
Have to check the house (back door closed, dog in, and the stove turned off) and the front door locked at least three times before I feel comfortable leaving it for more than a half-hour on my own. If I am with my husband, I don't worry about it.

Old 08-13-2019, 08:09 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Symmetry. With few exceptions, asymmetry bothers me badly!

Also, the use of “like” as a crutch word. Dunno if that’s OCD, I know that one drives a few people nuts.

Old 08-14-2019, 02:23 AM

719 posts, read 427,637 times
Thinking about the world.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:36 AM

24,555 posts, read 18,225,831 times
Poor speling and bad gramer.

Old 08-14-2019, 05:44 AM

411 posts, read 415,939 times
I have to travel to destinations exactly the way I planned in my head - no U-turns, deviations or changes of plan. If it takes me all day, or I'm 2 hours early then so be it.

The showering thing? Wash hair first, face, body, then teeth and exit. In that order!

There are many more but first rule of OCD is that I don't discuss the finer details of the OCD.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:00 AM

10,226 posts, read 7,573,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
Twisted phone receiver cords. I have to stop and untangle them when I see it at work.

Paper money. They have to be right side up, face to back (all faces forward), smallest bills to the front.

Taking pills. Have to put left hand behind head as I drink water to swallow pills.

Showering. Wash hair, wash body from top down and dry from head down while standing in tub. Dry leg and step out with that leg before drying the other leg to step out the tub.
I count a lot. I've gotten better at breaking the habit, over the years. I think it started years ago when I was exercising, counting the reps.

I have to touch the edges of some things, or just touch some things in a certain way. I've been this way since childhood. The edge of the cool quartz countertop, a couple of the keys on my laptop keyboard (I rub them lightly a certain way), the edge of a car handle, etc. I've worked on stopping that and have been somewhat successful. It's not a big problem and isn't noticeable to others. For all I know, everyone does that.

I get intensely focused and compulsive about spreadsheets with numbers. I'll work on them to perfection (to the extent possible), for hours, losing track of time. (I keep spreadsheets of my investments in my retirement accounts, budget spreadsheets, income spreadsheets....) Of course, this was very helpful in my work, where I created and maintained a lot of spreadsheets. But in my personal life, although this is helpful, there is a point at which a spreadsheet would be almost as useful but not require the hours of intense maintenance.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,209,687 times
No dirty dishes allowed to sit in sink, ever.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:50 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
I count stuff.

If I'm on a road trip, I tend to count trees. Like, in the spring, I count as many redbud trees as I can. When we drove to New Orleans, I counted Magnolia trees. When we drive to our place in the country, (a 2 hour trip) I count evergreens.

If I'm say...in the car waiting on someone, I start counting cars. Usually, I'll start counting how many white cars I see.

Every morning, I go outside and look at my moon flowers. First, I count how many bloomed, and then I count how many I have left, to bloom.

Last Saturday, out at our property, I counted how many times I saw a butterfly (25, by the way.)

So yeah...I count stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology