Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2019, 06:17 AM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times

Advertisements

I have done this all my life! I had a dad with quite an imagination who used to concoct amazing stories for us kids out of thin air, so maybe that's where I got it.

I don't assign genders, but I find myself thinking of inanimate objects as having souls and sometimes consciousness. I don't get carried away with it, but it does create a problem when it's time to get rid of something, like trading in a car, or taking down the Christmas tree!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2019, 06:39 AM

720 posts, read 427,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaMoon1 View Post
I have done this all my life! I had a dad with quite an imagination who used to concoct amazing stories for us kids out of thin air, so maybe that's where I got it.

I don't assign genders, but I find myself thinking of inanimate objects as having souls and sometimes consciousness. I don't get carried away with it, but it does create a problem when it's time to get rid of something, like trading in a car, or taking down the Christmas tree!
What you are describing is ,for me, one of the nicest qualities that humans have.

Old 08-15-2019, 06:57 AM

17,597 posts, read 17,629,777 times
Some cars are designed with a stylized face as it appeals to buyers. In fact, one of the reasons I bought my then new 2015 Hyundai Elantra because it had a smiley face with dimples.
Attached Thumbnails
anthropomorphism-83cc5bf6-5794-4cea-a421-2c8d031e43f8.jpeg  

Old 08-15-2019, 09:34 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,014,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JrzDefector View Post
Cars have genders and personalities to a lot of people. I like my Subaru. No name, but it's a scrappy little thing.

I cuss at my computers like they've betrayed me when I am stressed out.

And I talk to my plants and assign them personalities when I'm gardening.

Off topic, but you hear people talk about anthropomorphizing dogs a lot and how terrible it is. But the truth of the matter is that a lot of it is legit (not dressing them up, imo, but other things) - they have co-evolved with us and can actually read our body language quite well. I'm studying under instructors who train dogs according to how they evolved and it works extraordinarily well. But we don't bother to think like they do for much of the time, so we get it wrong on our ends a lot.

We used to have 2 dogs. Now, we just have Jake. We had to put our other dog, Emilee to sleep.
Jake is half Lhasa and half American Eskimo. I've always said he is a perpetually happy 6 yr. old little boy.

Emilee was part terrier and part chihuahua. Always a little bossy, always a little sassy, a little independent, but lovey dovey. LOL

Old 08-15-2019, 11:36 AM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
This is totally just for fun.

Have you ever attributed human traits to inanimate objects? Sometimes I do. Mostly, I assign genders to inanimate objects.

For example,

Spoons are female. If its a fancy spoon, she's royalty.
Knives are male. They're dukes, counts, and royalty like that.
Forks are male. Fancy forks or bigger serving forks are kings.
Not DIRECTLY, as in your example. But my family used to have a superstition that "company was coming" if you dropped a utensil. Fork = man, spoon = woman, knife = we didn't specify.

Old 08-15-2019, 01:07 PM

6,005 posts, read 4,784,668 times
When I was a little kid, there were two huge trees on our road. My mom and I would go out and "talk" to them. Mom would say, "Listen. I think Mrs. Tree is whispering something to you." And I would listen closely and then tell my mom what I heard Mrs. Tree say. It's one of my favorite memories. I still tend to assign personalities to things that most definitely do not have personalities... because I have a rampantly overactive imagination. I'm okay with it.

(When Mr. and Mrs. Tree were cut down, however, there was a LOT of emotion happening on my part. Even though I was old enough to understand that they were trees and not actually talking. Still had a hard time with it!)

Old 08-15-2019, 01:59 PM

4,242 posts, read 946,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post
When I was a little kid, there were two huge trees on our road. My mom and I would go out and "talk" to them. Mom would say, "Listen. I think Mrs. Tree is whispering something to you." And I would listen closely and then tell my mom what I heard Mrs. Tree say. It's one of my favorite memories. I still tend to assign personalities to things that most definitely do not have personalities... because I have a rampantly overactive imagination. I'm okay with it.

(When Mr. and Mrs. Tree were cut down, however, there was a LOT of emotion happening on my part. Even though I was old enough to understand that they were trees and not actually talking. Still had a hard time with it!)
What a great memory, and sad day when they were taken down. We're cut from the same cloth on this, Nicci6Squirrels!

Old 08-15-2019, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicci6Squirrels View Post

Many years ago, when we were out in the country, my husband decided that he should thin out some of the trees that were very abundant. I thought he meant all the little trees, and saplings and such. When he started cutting down some of the bigger trees, I got physically agitated. It was really stressing me. He cut down 3 trees and I just HAD to make him stop. We argued a little about it, but in the end, I won the argument. Arguing "Why did we get a wooded lot, if you're going to cut down all the trees?"

And you know, when the wind is blowing through the trees, they're very much singing and talking. I hear it Nicci. XOXOXO

Old 08-15-2019, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
“Spoons are female .... knives are male.” Well, I’m sure most people forced to pick a gender for their cutlery would agree. LOL

I know it's silly. LOL

When I was a kid, and it was my turn to do the dishes, I'd always play bride and groom with a spoon and a fork. I'd drape a washcloth slightly over the spoon for her veil, and all the other silverware were guests.

Many many times one of my parents would tell me to quit doddling and finish the dishes. LOL

Old 08-15-2019, 02:09 PM

Oh I forgot, letters of the alphabet and numbers 1 thru 9 have genders assigned to them.

A's and B's are boys, C's are girls, G's can go either way, but Fs are definitely boys.

And 9s are boys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology