Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2019, 03:24 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times

Advertisements

For better or worse I am much the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2019, 03:58 AM

11,443 posts, read 625,823 times
I am much also the same......... Its stupid to be diff just cause your online... Why bother . I mean whats the point??

Old 09-02-2019, 08:16 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,284,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taramafor View Post
Hmm... Yes and no. It's easier to talk to people 1 on 1. Private IMs and messages. That's what makes it easier. You can talk to someone 1 on 1 without the distraction of the group around you. Some people say "Keep the group involved". I ask why. I'm not interested in "the group". I'm interested in "X person here". Even if they happen to be in that group.

It makes it easier to get to know people. Next thing you know you're living in their online home because you got to know each other.

An introvert is still an introvert though. Online doesn't make it any easier to "be in a public group". Personally I can handle public groups even if I prefer 1 on 1 interactions. But a lot of people online are very very introverted regardless. It's simply easier to treat a public group like a brick wall (by that logic we ourselves are a brick wall until we catch someones interest. Oof). The same factors that apply in the physical world also apply in the online one. Online has more work arounds though. Not the least of which is being able to talk in a private 1 on 1 whisper with no fear of judgement from others around you.
I am assuming you are also an introvert?

I'm not dealing with people online. I am not physically in a crowd, with conversations all around, people coming up to me to converse. Online I control the speed and activity of my conversations. There are no crowds, no noise. Even though I don't pretend to be somebody else online, I can just walk away. I don't feel exhausted after an online discussion as I do in real life. For me it is night and day, where online is exponentially easier to deal with.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:56 AM

37 posts, read 36,117 times
I've been on the Web since the Web became a thing...so about 25 years give or take. I remember the Usenet and IRC days.

Naturally, if you're not using your real name, you can be a lot, um, freer? than you might be in real life. The social fabric has different tensile strength online vs. IRL.

However, if you knew your online posts could be traced to your literal doorstep, so to speak, would you be as free?

That ability (to link people with their online presence) has been around for a lot longer than most people think. It existed even before social media as we know it arrived and offered people the choice to be as visible as possible.

Knowing that, I've always said I stand by everything I post: the (mostly) good, the (occasionally) bad, and the (very rarely) ugly. Am I the same person in real life as I am online? I'd say yes...except I don't speak nearly as much.

Old 09-02-2019, 09:03 AM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Absolutely not -I could not say anything at all in my social circles nor at work -nor would I ever desire to -it would only be damaging to myself
Everybody on CDF appreciates the freedom of speech and honesty and are willing to hear you out -even if it does not conform to their own opinions
If that was not true how could I have to my credit 9 CDF paid vacations

Old 09-02-2019, 01:08 PM

934 posts, read 402,707 times
Twenty years ago, when I stepped into internet forums, my online persona was much different from the real me. I deliberately use different words to describe these two, because they were different. While my online persona was much of a jerk, prone to back and forth and harsh words, self-righteous much, and as such much bigger PITA than it is today, the real me was more timid than today. In time both persons changed, in that they came much closer to each other.

Today I reserve harsh online words and mocking only for those in power. I avoid back and forth wherever possible, prefer honest discussions and have more appreciation for the people on the net. In real life, I am more ready to openly express my opinion and less afraid of what people might think of me because of that.

As far as ease of communications goes, I am best with chats. Combine fast typing with the absence of perfection requirement and add those several seconds that I sorely need in face to face situations, but can't have - and here's the reason. People admire my chatting skills. Yet, I don't chat anymore. if I did, my days would be spent chatting up the internet and we can't have that. So, I like forum posting and blogging, it helps me cover the subject from more aspects. I even love occasional tweeting - I find this condensed form of writing appealing, to my own surprise.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:33 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,580,593 times
IRL I am taller and better looking than online. And maybe smarter. I dunno.

Old 09-02-2019, 03:19 PM

19,803 posts, read 9,357,559 times
In real life, I'm not nearly as confrontational, I am much less articulate, and much less compassionate.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:17 PM

12,773 posts, read 14,978,563 times
I admit that I'm bolder & wouldn't say certain things in person that I've said online. I've always been shy, quiet, & mellow in person. But I'd think that most people are a little bolder because it's logical. Online, people don't ever have to face anyone, don't know a soul, don't have to deal w/ anyone on a regular basis, etc.

(My beliefs, morals, & values are the same either way.)

Old 09-02-2019, 04:38 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,346,533 times
My online persona is probably tame compared to my real life personality. In real life, I'm more blunt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology