Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2019, 02:21 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,536,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJenkins602 View Post
Pfft.

I'm not even scared of spiders...although brown recluses and black widows kinda make me nervous. I've had guns pointed at me. Not scared. I've been shot at as well.

I once woke up next to a scorpion. I just looked at it and said 'sup'. I walk casually on suspension bridges. I like it when they move. The more it moves, the more I walk on it (brag brag brag brag brag)

Okay, on a serious note, I don't think being sheltered causes this. As a matter of fact, having life experiences can reduce your fear. People who are sheltered, I would expect to fall to pieces when something somewhat unsettling happens...but maybe not.

Those people who want to low-key suggest you have an issue because you are not scared are probably just envious that you have that quality and it makes them feel inferior. So they want to suggest that you have some kind of psychological issue in order for themselves to feel better.
Chuck Norris kisses my feet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2019, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miso Blu View Post

There's nothing wrong with you. You sound like someone who is at peace with their existence and confident that if it's "your time" then what will be will be, no reason to worry. We are all going to die someday but some of us are more concerned with things in life we can control, not those things we can't, like freak accidents and natural disasters. Some people worry about death so much they barely live. Be happy you aren't one of them.
There is something to that I’ll admit no one wants die or grow old but it’s never bothered me. It’s just something that we all must face.

Old 08-30-2019, 07:13 PM

2,385 posts, read 3,672,001 times
Well, there's this:

https://www.wired.com/2010/12/fear-brain-amygdala/

Old 08-30-2019, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrexy View Post
I read that article somewhere else before I posted my post.

Old 08-31-2019, 04:38 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
I fear very little....except checking out of this life ….my way still with dignity and not being a burden to anyone..

shadows are everywhere....
you keep your light on you wont see them.....

.if you strive to see shadows just to see/know what they looked like...you are giving them life......and when you give them life.....then don't wonder where they came from !!??

Old 08-31-2019, 06:51 AM

12,040 posts, read 8,421,785 times
Last night, just by coincidence, I watched a documentary about the variety of flora and fauna that live on and in the human body. One of the things they discussed was the common infestation of toxoplasmosis which can cause behavioral changes in humans.

Very interesting. It was first discovered in mice who, when infected, lose a fear of cats. This is advantageous to the parasite as it needs the digestive system of the feline in order to multiply and altering the mice's ability to feel fear when it detects cat urine provides it transportation to an environment in which it can complete its life cycle.

Up to forty percent of a human population can carry this parasite and one of the symptoms is impulsivity and lack of fear. There's always the question with manifested behavior if it is a matter of the mind or a matter of the body and how they may be intertwined.

Old 08-31-2019, 11:48 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,629 posts, read 17,961,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Maybe paranoid was the wrong word to use. I’m always aware of what’s going on around me but I don’t see that as fear. Cops are this way as well, would you describe them as paranoid?
No, I wouldn't describe cops as paranoid - you were the one who brought up the term to describe your own psychological state, and then said that cops have the same heightened awareness.

I'm just trying to process what you're describing here.

You sound, to me, like you have the standard levels of fear that everyone else has.

Old 08-31-2019, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No, I wouldn't describe cops as paranoid - you were the one who brought up the term to describe your own psychological state, and then said that cops have the same heightened awareness.

I'm just trying to process what you're describing here.

You sound, to me, like you have the standard levels of fear that everyone else has.
What fears would those be? If I’m highly aware of my surroundings how does that make one paranoid?

Old 08-31-2019, 02:47 PM

3,366 posts, read 1,606,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Of anything. No, this isn’t a boast of any sorts. I’ve been in car wrecks, been shot at been standing no more then two feet away from a car that got rear ended. Stabbed twice. Nor am I scared of dying. It never occurred to me that in any of these situations I might of been killed. Don’t get me wrong I still will get my wife to remove a BIG spider. They creep me out more then anything. I don’t like walking across suspension bridges only because I can feel them move not because I’m scared of them.

I’ve had people tell me that it’s not normal to not be scared of something. Or that perhaps I lived a sheltered live, which is just the opposite. At the same time it’s not like I go out and look for something that could kill me to do either. I looked up people who have no fear and really didn’t find anything that would explain this.

Is anyone else on here like this? Is this a psychological condition ?
Yes, self aggrandizement, false arrogance, etc.

Old 08-31-2019, 06:18 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,966,169 times
"Is anyone else on here like this?"
yes.
"Is this a psychological condition ?"
yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology