Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2019, 10:20 AM

20,764 posts, read 19,972,298 times

Advertisements

It feels weird to hug 'down"
It feels wrong if his shoes stand next to mine at the front door and they are smaller.
If he is standing in front of me to protect me but I can see the intruder while standing behind him
It feels wrong if he needs to move the seat closer to the the steering wheel every time he gets into my truck
It's cute if he struggles to get into my lifted truck. Cute = turn off.
It feels wrong hugging him and it feels like hugging a not full grown teenager (depending on his stature)
It feels wrong if I eat more than him.
His little, cute clothes in my laundry basked, uhm ...
It's just hard to take someone seriously for me if he is a head shorter and I am looking down when he throws a temper tantrum. I would have to laugh and think it's cute.

Sounds super mean, but I cannot change how I am wired. I dated a 5'8" guy (120 lbs) two years ago for a short time (pun intended). He looked awesome on his motorcycle, but even when we sat down and just talked, him mentioning stuff about his life and him doing this and that or not doing it because of his height - I cannot relate, just doesn't work.

It seems so superficial, but I dated a 6'4" guy and I loved how he had to adjust the steering wheel up and down just to be able to get into his car. I loved to wear his oversized shirts. How he was always hungry and eating but never gained weight. How he looked way too tall on a bike, just like me. How he walked into a building and everyone noticed him just as they did notice me and we locked eyes over the crowd. How he had problems finding big enough shoes - just like me. How we both got bullied in school. It's not the same as getting bullied if you are too short or too fat. If you are short, you can blend in and everything you do is "cute." If you are fat, stop eating. Tall - there is nothing you can do, you stick out, you cannot blend it. If you are clumsy, you aren't cute - you just look stupid. Experiences like that - other people don't get it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2019, 10:27 AM

12,101 posts, read 17,095,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
It feels weird to hug 'down"
It feels wrong if his shoes stand next to mine at the front door and they are smaller.
If he is standing in front of me to protect me but I can see the intruder while standing behind him
It feels wrong if he needs to move the seat closer to the the steering wheel every time he gets into my truck
It's cute if he struggles to get into my lifted truck. Cute = turn off.
It feels wrong hugging him and it feels like hugging a not full grown teenager (depending on his stature)
It feels wrong if I eat more than him.
His little, cute clothes in my laundry basked, uhm ...
It's just hard to take someone seriously for me if he is a head shorter and I am looking down when he throws a temper tantrum. I would have to laugh and think it's cute.

Sounds super mean, but I cannot change how I am wired. I dated a 5'8" guy (120 lbs) two years ago for a short time (pun intended). He looked awesome on his motorcycle, but even when we sat down and just talked, him mentioning stuff about his life and him doing this and that or not doing it because of his height - I cannot relate, just doesn't work.

It seems so superficial, but I dated a 6'4" guy and I loved how he had to adjust the steering wheel up and down just to be able to get into his car. I loved to wear his oversized shirts. How he was always hungry and eating but never gained weight. How he looked way too tall on a bike, just like me. How he walked into a building and everyone noticed him just as they did notice me and we locked eyes over the crowd. How he had problems finding big enough shoes - just like me. How we both got bullied in school. It's not the same as getting bullied if you are too short or too fat. If you are short, you can blend in and everything you do is "cute." If you are fat, stop eating. Tall - there is nothing you can do, you stick out, you cannot blend it. If you are clumsy, you aren't cute - you just look stupid. Experiences like that - other people don't get it.
I wouldn't expect any woman to change her sense of attraction based on what some random doofus said on a message board.

However, it seems like you have a serious disrespect for short men. Like, not only do you not want to date them, you think they're like a total joke.

And this ... the type of stuff that you posted, like laughing at a short guy getting mad, not taking them seriously ... coming from somebody who was bullied in the past??

Sometimes ... I just don't get it. Why am I on this planet?

Old 09-12-2019, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I wouldn't expect any woman to change her sense of attraction based on what some random doofus said on a message board.

However, it seems like you have a serious disrespect for short men. Like, not only do you not want to date them, you think they're like a total joke.

And this ... the type of stuff that you posted, like laughing at a short guy getting mad, not taking them seriously ... coming from somebody who was bullied in the past??

Sometimes ... I just don't get it. Why am I on this planet?

You should laugh at anyone throwing a tantrum. Just sayin.

Old 09-12-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
You should laugh at anyone throwing a tantrum. Just sayin.
Don't you find it a bit awkward that you're giving your experiences about persecuted for your physical appearance in one paragraph, and then ... in the same post you are literally mocking short men?

Honestly, maybe it's just me.

Carry on...

Old 09-12-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Quote:

You are twisting my words, but that's okay. You don't get it. I never said I don't take them seriously in general.

Everyone looks ridiculous throwing a tantrum and shouldn't be taken seriously - but tall guys are usually scary if they do so and I am not scared of someone a head shorter than me. I'd laugh at them if they scream and stomp their foot.

I am not bullying anyone. And I am not mocking either. I stated why I cannot be with someone much shorter. This is a thread discussing height and asking for opinions. If you don't like mine, I am sorry. I am not mocking, just stating my preference and the reason why. Apparently I am not the only one or this thread wouldn't exist and the fact that most women prefer taller men.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:19 AM

Quote:
And I am not mocking either.
Well, that's good to hear.

There are short men that are good people just like there are overweight people who are good people.

Tall people who are good people.

Etc, etc.

Old 09-12-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Well, that's good to hear.

There are short men that are good people just like there are overweight people who are good people.

Tall people who are good people.

Etc, etc.

Never said there weren't.

Old 09-12-2019, 02:58 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,348,117 times
Quote:
Never said there weren't.
You kind of did, though. You created visuals that cast short men as less than fully functioning adults worthy of your respect. You might not have intended that, but I think it's what you did.

Old 09-13-2019, 05:51 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
I am a guy, so I from personal experience I know a lot of guys who are superficial. Judging from the small sample in this thread, there are superficial women, too. So not only do we still have gender norms (much to the dismay of the OP I am sure), but we have gender norms that are straight out of the 1950s. And it's not just men who hold onto those beliefs.

Luckily this doesn't describe everybody. There's still lots of folks who aren't so shallow.

Old 09-13-2019, 11:10 AM

50,783 posts, read 36,486,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielWayne View Post
I am a guy, so I from personal experience I know a lot of guys who are superficial. Judging from the small sample in this thread, there are superficial women, too. So not only do we still have gender norms (much to the dismay of the OP I am sure), but we have gender norms that are straight out of the 1950s. And it's not just men who hold onto those beliefs.

Luckily this doesn't describe everybody. There's still lots of folks who aren't so shallow.
Doesn't everyone have preferences? Don't some people like tall and some short, some guys like big breasts and some don't care, some people don't mind a few extra pounds but really don't lean towards skinny (me). I don't think you can call everyone's individual preferences shallow or superficial as I have yet to meet anyone in 57 years who didn't have any. I agree that poster is quite rigid in hers, but there are biological drives behind many preferences such as height, breast size, etc too.

But you are right the majority of us have preferences but not held in stone and other traits count, too.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-13-2019 at 11:26 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology