Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2019, 05:54 PM

8,665 posts, read 3,866,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post
I do things legally as possible, which is way harder to attain wealth. There were opportunities that came into my life that I would make a lot of money but of course, I turned it down because it involves dealing with very bad people.

Unless you’re running drugs/guns or you’re a ‘butcher’, most careers are legal (especially those which are ‘tested’ for) - lol. You have to make your own opportunities when it comes to ‘wealth’ (or anything) rather than wait for it ‘to come into your life’.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2019, 06:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,569,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
An online test? I'd be skeptical of the results. That said, if you do care about money and status and answered differently, that will cause the results not to be very useful.
Based on the categories, It's likely based on Holland's self - directed search, which career counselor often use.

It's really just an interest inventory.

Old 09-05-2019, 09:51 PM

285 posts, read 204,342 times
Why don't you speak to a career counsellor or someone at an employment office? If you are still going to school, speak with your academic advisors. I don't recommend random tests online as they seem vague and can cause all kinds of confusion.

Being an entrepreneur doesn't mean you'll be rich or have gold coins growing from you. It's more pain than gain for a lot longer than most are willing to put up with at the start.

The best way to learn more about your strengths and weaknesses are to try new hobbies, learn new subjects, read more, speak to more people, join interests groups and learn to apply new knowledge. Good luck!

Old 09-05-2019, 11:16 PM

740 posts, read 456,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Unless you’re running drugs/guns or you’re a ‘butcher’, most careers are legal (especially those which are ‘tested’ for) - lol. You have to make your own opportunities when it comes to ‘wealth’ (or anything) rather than wait for it ‘to come into your life’.

The problem with small business owners like me, I'm at a standstill. I make enough to live off but I can't expand my business because to take my business to the next level, I will require at least $500,000 to a $1 Million dollar to take my business to the next level. Money which I don't have laying around and money I don't want to borrow.

Yes, in my early 20s, I was given an offer I wasn't supposed to refuse but I refused it anyway. Now that offer had a really good probability to make me a lot of money and I mean a lot. Money, I could have used to expand the legitimate business I have right now. Of course, there was a downside to that offer...it could land me riches, prison, or death. So I gently declined the offer.

Last edited by mikefong123; 09-05-2019 at 11:28 PM..

Old 09-06-2019, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefong123 View Post

Yes, in my early 20s, I was given an offer I wasn't supposed to refuse but I refused it anyway. Now that offer had a really good probability to make me a lot of money and I mean a lot. Money, I could have used to expand the legitimate business I have right now. Of course, there was a downside to that offer...it could land me riches, prison, or death. So I gently declined the offer.
Not sure what you’re talking about as this is a bit cryptic, but I assumed OP was speaking to career opportunities and/or the pursuit of money (or status) legally.

Old 09-06-2019, 10:14 AM

15,218 posts, read 10,312,234 times
I took one of those online career tests about 10 years ago and it said I should be a meteorologist or an accountant both of which I would enjoy.

Old 09-06-2019, 11:36 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,572 posts, read 81,167,557 times
Our entire team of about 25 people took a similar test, this was well recognized for corporate use, the Birkman Method.

As it turned out about 2/3 of us are happily doing work that we shouldn't like doing. In my case for example, as a manager in an office, it did show leadership. It also showed that I like to work with my hands and be outdoors. I agree with the results, but I get those needs satisfied outside of work with my hobbies, and I do take a walk along the waterfront every day at lunch time. It also helps to have a big window in my office. The idea was for us to recognize each other's interests to help in working together. We found very successful accountants that dislike working with numbers, and even a couple of supervisors that are considered "followers" according to the test.

Don't take any of those tests too seriously. Better off talking to people in careers doing work that you might enjoy and that you have an aptitude for.

Old 09-06-2019, 01:22 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,380,774 times
I don't believe in personality profiles to determine absolutely what someone's career path should be.

Old 09-06-2019, 02:02 PM

1,074 posts, read 640,890 times
OP- My story may make you feel a little more resolve in whatever you decide:

I worked in my passion (and degree plan) for years. I still do it as a side hustle, but no longer my have-to-make-a-living-at-it gig. This was/is best for me.
I stopped working in my passion due to needing something within a regular work day, with benefits, etc, per my kids. Once I switched to my current full time profession - which I don't hate, but just don't really care about - and did my passion as a side hustle, it was so much better for me. When I threw something (ugly) like money all over what I loved, it made it ugly, and tedious, and strenuous.
I am so passionate about my passion, that when others were not, I just had no patience for them....only I had to, because I had to have their money to live. That made my passion dumbed down and dulled down.
Now when I go to my side hustle job, I get to be, well, PASSIONATE about it!

Old 09-06-2019, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarshaBrady1968 View Post
OP- My story may make you feel a little more resolve in whatever you decide:

I worked in my passion (and degree plan) for years. I still do it as a side hustle, but no longer my have-to-make-a-living-at-it gig. This was/is best for me.
I stopped working in my passion due to needing something within a regular work day, with benefits, etc, per my kids. Once I switched to my current full time profession - which I don't hate, but just don't really care about - and did my passion as a side hustle, it was so much better for me. When I threw something (ugly) like money all over what I loved, it made it ugly, and tedious, and strenuous.
I am so passionate about my passion, that when others were not, I just had no patience for them....only I had to, because I had to have their money to live. That made my passion dumbed down and dulled down.
Now when I go to my side hustle job, I get to be, well, PASSIONATE about it!
If you aren’t really enjoying your ‘regular job’ anyway - and you have to work a side hustle, the benefit to the change you made is not very clear to me. Now you earn money by doing something you don’t really care about, because money made your passion ‘ugly’ and ‘tedious’. I know money is considered ‘evil’ by many; but it’s simply a fact of life we all need it. Why not earn it in a way we enjoy (or feel challenged by)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology