Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2019, 01:24 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
Why is this only controversial in the US?

https://leadpatriot.com/watch-new-be...troversy/3847/

I figured that psychology was the best forum for this post. If wrong, please move it
Is it being run in the U.S.? I haven't seen it, and it doesn't seem to have been made in the U.S.

The U.S. was settled by Pilgrims (super rabid religious people), and a lot of people in the U S subscribe to the super religious evangelist movement. Add to that groups pushing for women's rights, which oddly enough, that commercial is ANTI-women (it places women in a sexual light, focusing on female-only underwear, instead of focusing on things that are really important to women). Also, there is no anti-bra movement in America. There was in the '60s, but that decade is long over.

Imagine that ad showing a man reaching into loose casual pants and removing his underwear, then going "ahhh" and settling back in a cushy sofa...."the beer for men who let it hang loose!" I don't think men would relate to that ad, but women would probably like it.

Last edited by bpollen; 09-11-2019 at 01:40 PM..

Old 09-11-2019, 01:38 PM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
which oddly enough, that commercial is ANTI-women (it places women in a sexual light, focusing on female-only underwear, instead of focusing on things that are really important to women). Also, there is no anti-bra movement in America. There was in the '60s, but that decade is long over.
This is a weird comparison--for many, if not most, women a bra is a functional garment. The bra I'm wearing today is no more sexual than the cardigan I have on. It's not anti-woman to acknowledge that women wear bras, and they're not always comfy. Most of the women I've seen respond to that ad think it's spot-on--Coors obviously has an actual women on their marketing team.

Old 09-11-2019, 01:41 PM

5,573 posts, read 3,346,925 times
Quote:
Is it being run in the U.S.? I haven't seen it, and it doesn't seem to have been made in the U.S.

The U.S. was settled by Pilgrims (super rabid religious people), and a lot of people in the U S subscribe to the super religious evangelist movement. Add to that groups pushing for women's rights, which oddly enough, that commercial is ANTI-women (it places women in a sexual light, focusing on female-only underwear, instead of focusing on things that are really important to women). Also, there is no anti-bra movement in America. There was in the '60s, but that decade is long over.

Imagine that ad showing a man reaching into loose casual pants and removing his underwear...."the beer for men who let it hang loose!"
I've sen it and I'm right in the heartland of the US. Good commercial. When my GF and I saw it together......

homina12: You know that move.
her: Yep.
homina12: Show me again.

What followed was quite controversial by the starchy standards here at CD-R, which may slow me down, but won't stop me

Old 09-11-2019, 02:02 PM

11,759 posts, read 14,652,372 times
I don't and wouldn't like Coors beer but I liked it. Not only does it have the bra trick, which I gather many women relate to, at the very beginning you see another example of clothing discomfort--the band-aid on the heel, so all together it conveys the relief and relaxation they are going for.

No need to be prudish.

Old 09-11-2019, 03:20 PM

8,071 posts, read 7,432,678 times
Quote:
Yes, it runs in the U.S. and I've seen it at least twice. I didn't even fall off my chair even though I'm a church-going Republican!

Quote:
Well, part of the U.S. was settled by Pilgrims who were expelled from England because they did not adhere to the majority religion. Everyone from 1620 would be considered "super rabid" by today's standards.

Quote:
Imagine that ad showing a man reaching into loose casual pants and removing his underwear, then going "ahhh" and settling back in a cushy sofa...."the beer for men who let it hang loose!" I don't think men would relate to that ad, but women would probably like it.
There is (or was, around 2 years ago) a TV ad for "Ball Room Jeans" marketed by Duluth Trading Company that showed a cartoon man happily doing deep-knee bends. He had "room" for his "balls", get it? The ad was geared toward men. BTW we don't "remove our underwear" in front of the TV unless we're alooone (as George Costanza would say).

Old 09-11-2019, 04:07 PM

17,571 posts, read 13,350,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I saw that ad and thought it was really great. First, it's a beer ad targeted to women (who do actually drink beer,) not just objectifying them for men, and second, it shows a relatable sitation for a lot of women--you get home, you kick off your uncomfortable shoes, and you take off your uncomfortable bra (cracking open a beer is secondary, but still.) I don't even see much of a controversy in that article, the author was making a reach in commenting that it's somehow sad that beer ads can't or shouldn't be entirely sexist anymore.

First answer right out of the starting gate and you hit every point that I thought about when I posted the ad

Great minds

Old 09-11-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I saw that ad and my thought was 'Women can take their bra off that way?'

I've been to enough soccer games to have already known that. It's still mind boggling

Old 09-11-2019, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtab4994 View Post

There is (or was, around 2 years ago) a TV ad for "Ball Room Jeans" marketed by Duluth Trading Company that showed a cartoon man happily doing deep-knee bends. He had "room" for his "balls", get it? The ad was geared toward men. BTW we don't "remove our underwear" in front of the TV unless we're alooone (as George Costanza would say).

Still being run!

Old 09-11-2019, 04:57 PM

20,726 posts, read 16,368,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
I saw that ad and my thought was 'Women can take their bra off that way?'
You never watched Flashdance back in 1983 (or any of the years since)?

I guess it's like guys who unbutton or take their pants off as soon as they get in the door? But the first thing I think is that if your bra fits, it feels fine and she's not busty so even less reason for discomfort. So the commercial doesn't work for me personally but I see why it would for some women. I don't have a "problem" with it because she's taking it off just for herself, she's doing it casually with no hint of stripper fanfare, it's a plain bra not nasty lingerie, etc.

Old 09-11-2019, 06:23 PM

19,804 posts, read 9,353,220 times
I'm a woman, and I approve! I don't see anything objectionable at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology