Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2019, 12:40 PM

13,285 posts, read 8,442,400 times

Advertisements

The tone in which a person says " ohh You are one of 'those'. It's condesending .

The "calm down you're just too sensitive". No. I'm in tune with the reality of the event or circumstance that created the normal human conveyance .

'Suck it up'. That phrase will set off ww3 . Just even typing it ires my being that some folks use it with such a an abrasive attitude.

Everyone close to me knows that the F bomb is off limits. Cringe worthy. Some folks consider that the adjective or verb to fill in their mindless banter.

I agree with the one poster who mentioned " no problem" when a person can graciously say..you are welcome ...or my pleasure. But saying "not a problem" ..is a problem!...

My eldest son gets triggered if I say ..
"Really?? "
. He mentioned that it's a lead in to doubting the speakers data. I said...I use it in the sense of ...wow...who knew! . Impressive .!
He said it's rude to question his conveyance of information that in subtext I'm gleaning him as a liar. I didn't ever see it that way ..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2019, 01:57 PM

30,246 posts, read 23,719,256 times
"Calm down."

FFFFFFFFFFFFF........................you!

That is the very last thing to say to me if I'm a little annoyed at something and am expressing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
The replacement of "you're welcome" with "no problem" in a customer service setting. Biting through my tongue versus blurting out "it had better not be, it's your job" is becoming more and more difficult.
Well.....I'm one of those who says that. When I say it, I'm saying it to mean "you do not need to thank me". Yes, I understand that they are "pleasantries", but when I'm helping someone, job or not, I do not do it for any other reason than I want to help the person, job or not. So, "no problem" means "you don't have to thank me."

Old 09-15-2019, 04:32 PM

7,293 posts, read 4,091,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rego00123 View Post
People who use “guys’s” to describe or address a a group of people.
EG: “You guys’s really need to stop picking on me” “those guys’s over their” etc etc

I really have no “triggers” that send me off the deep end, but this will always cause me to pause in my head and figuratively shake it and force myself to not attempt to correct.

It’s an American colloquialism that I can never get use to hearing.
We say "y'all" where I come from.

Old 09-15-2019, 04:39 PM

50,334 posts, read 63,906,560 times
“We need to...” when they really mean, “you need to.”

Old 09-15-2019, 04:41 PM

The use of the word "female" as a noun when referring to a human being.

Old 09-15-2019, 06:30 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The use of the word "female" as a noun when referring to a human being.
Why does this ‘trigger’ you? It may be used as a noun (or an adjective)? Does ‘male’ trigger you in the same way?

Old 09-15-2019, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorporateCowboy View Post
Why does this ‘trigger’ you? It may be used as a noun (or an adjective)?
It's dehumanizing to refer to a woman as a female in conversation.

Quote:
Does ‘male’ trigger you in the same way?
Men are very rarely referred to as males in conversation. Like almost never.

Context is everything.

I can elaborate if necessary.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:00 PM

8,658 posts, read 3,853,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It's dehumanizing to refer to a woman as a female in conversation.

Men are very rarely referred to as males in conversation. Like almost never.

There were more females in the class than males. (That may be ‘dehumanizing’ to you, but I sincerely don’t see it.)

Old 09-15-2019, 07:26 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
Quote:
There were more females in the class than males. (That may be ‘dehumanizing’ to you, but I sincerely don’t see it.)
"Female" is a scientific term that refers to the sex of a species that is capable of producing children. The term "woman" refers specifically to human beings, while "female" could refer to any species. That alone is dehumanizing.

The primary use of the term "female" is as an adjective. When you call a woman "a female," you're deleting the term "human." It reduces a woman to her reproductive parts and function. Literally dehumanizing.

Most of the terms used for gender are BOTH common - ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, etc. But guys really never refer to each other as "males." As in ... "All these males in here getting in my way ..."

The fact that women almost never refer to each other this way is the first clue that it's meant by many to be derisive.

Old 09-15-2019, 07:37 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times
Given my posting history here on CD, many would be surprised at how well I keep my big mouth shut in public, regarding a public health matter (threat).

Only one time have I ever been triggered & that was last year when I had to stop at a drugstore on my way to pick up my severely disabled son from school because he had once again, necessitated an evacuation due to yet another violent, autistic meltdown.

The nice lady behind the counter offered me a 'flu shot' & I fell apart. All I said was 'Oh no' & I ran out crying.

Only time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology