Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-24-2019, 10:32 AM

858 posts, read 682,087 times

Advertisements

When was the last time you felt really happy?

Not just superficial happiness or temporary joy, but deep, honest peaceful happiness.

How did or do you achieve it? How do you sustain that state of happiness?

It is defined that true happiness is not actually a positive emotional state. It is an internal reclaiming of power that allows each outcome to be experienced in the most pure and unaltered way. In order to be happy, you must reclaim your power from the people, places, and things that are used to define your existence. It doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be pleased or displeased by other people’s behavior.

Instead, you no longer rely on the actions of your outside environment to determine your status in life. To rely on others for your primary sense of validation and fulfillment is a play of codependency. In spiritual terms, it is referred to as attachment. When codependency or attachment runs your reality, the changes of others can shake the core of your emotional foundation.

While it is natural to grieve the loss of loved ones or feel heartbroken when relationships end, the attachment of codependency is more so a reliance on needing others to act or be a certain way, in order for you to feel whole. Ultimately, every form of codependency or attachment can only lead to blame and disappointment. That is, until your power is reclaimed. Once this occurs, your happiness is determined by the quality of your choices instead of on the reliance of other people’s behavior.

True happiness is freedom from relying on anything to be any particular way, which allows everything to be exactly how it is meant to be. True happiness doesn’t even require you to accept however things seem, since the very thing you are guided to accept is however you feel in response to the situations in view. Even in the presence of circumstances that you are unable to accept or “be okay with”, what are the most inspired courageous choices that you can make to bring into the moment the type of person you’d like spend more time around?

True happiness doesn’t blame itself for the actions of others or rely on others for the sustaining fulfillment of inner well-being. Instead, it looks at the behavior of others as flash cards that offer opportunities to anchor a more positive vibration. When others are deceptive, true happiness dares to become more honest. When others are cruel, true happiness chooses to be more kind, patient, and gentle. When others are judgmental, true happiness becomes more forgiving. When others ignore, true happiness spends more time cherishing the one who was disregarded, left out, or overlooked. When others are controlling, true happiness sets itself free and moves on toward greater horizons of exploration.

Whether you are ready to redefine your happiness by the actions you take, remain stuck in the chaos of relying on others for approval, or cannot seem to make changes in your life until humanity shifts first, you always deserve more love, not less. May today be an opportunity to love the one who lives for the approval of others while denying themselves approval along the way; embracing the one whose sense of wholeness is determined by the behavior of others and even cherishing the innocence that believes being high has anything to do with the happiness you seek.

May you come to recognize how true happiness cannot be affected by the actions of others, since happiness is merely a reflection of the quality of your personal conduct. If anyone or anything can affect your happiness, true happiness has yet to be found. Once discovered, no person, place, or thing can affect your infinite wellspring of serenity, peace, and power, which puts you in the best position to develop long-lasting relationships that always begin from the inside out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 03:05 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Why does this OP trigger deja vue? Didn't this exact topic come up somewhere on CD recently?

Old 09-24-2019, 05:47 PM

1,734 posts, read 1,203,848 times
OP, if you yourself are not Matt Kahn, it's good practice to give attribution to the author of your blue words.

Last edited by CatzPaw; 09-24-2019 at 06:11 PM..

Old 09-25-2019, 09:19 AM

12,043 posts, read 8,429,550 times
The enemy to my peace of mind is wanting to control a person, place or thing which is not mine to mess with. Its root cause is ego.

Learning to live in the moment helps. As well as planning plans but not outcomes. Listing positives in my life, things I am grateful for. Throw the words, "I deserve ______" out of my vocabulary

Usually when I am upset it is because I'd rather justify my discomfort than access the comfort that is available to me.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:26 PM

858 posts, read 682,087 times
My main obstacles to happiness are the responsibilities for others I have accepted. I have never regretted the life choices I have made and I can't imagine life without my family and friends, but most of my daily decisions are in support of others' needs and success.

I realize I have based my happiness on how well others' lives are.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:37 PM

23,310 posts, read 18,865,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRoadkill View Post
My main obstacles to happiness are the responsibilities for others I have accepted. I have never regretted the life choices I have made and I can't imagine life without my family and friends, but most of my daily decisions are in support of others' needs and success.

I realize I have based my happiness on how well others' lives are.
Well, FWIW, altruism and achieving joy vicariously through the contentedness and happiness of others is a reality for many. I don't feel that true deep happiness can only be achieved by self-serving actions.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:18 PM

19,036 posts, read 27,614,590 times
Scratching my head.. lengthy c/p from whatever are against CD rules...

Happiness is not possible. Ask Buddha.

Old 09-25-2019, 06:02 PM

2,955 posts, read 1,413,789 times
I often feel happiness on Saturdays. It's a day when I don't have to answer to anyone, can relax without deadlines, pressures or judgements, and enjoy spending time with my pet and gardening or doing whatever I want.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology