Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2019, 01:19 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,347,687 times

Advertisements

I often watch my favorite YouTubers for "companionship".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2019, 03:31 PM

2,209 posts, read 2,318,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Why not find a REAL companion? I think you live in an imaginary TV world and try to make it sound real.
Lots or singles have a dog or other animal for company, but running TV for companionship... No. I don't think it's even right for the mental health.
Good point. But a potential issue is that the more people you invite into your social sphere, the more complicated that sphere becomes. Even one person can bring a whole host of baggage/problems/issues into a relationship that can be trouble.
Of course, we all have issues and problems, so we are all messed up to some degree. But staying alone eliminates having to deal with anyone else's problems and issues.

Old 10-06-2019, 05:56 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
as usual I will offer an unpopular opinion...

first of all... being single doesn't mean being lonely...I have been more lonely WITH someone

here...my two cents.... and im being totally sexist …. to you and to all ladies..

todays women is the most independent in human history ….and that's great!!
however...on one of the most crucial part of living.....women CHOOSE not to be equal to men.....in one of the most important decisions in our lifetimes.....and that's choosing a friend.....a companion....a mate..

women demanded social equalities for decades and for the most part they have it..EXCEPT for this...….
most women will not approach a man to say hi or show some interest.....women know what they like in a guy...….but refuse to make the first step..so they wait...and wait to see what approaches them....like a tide coming in...…

women will spend 6 months picking out a kitchen floor or a paint color for a bedroom ….but wont take 5 minutes approaching a man she might be interested in....

the world would be a much better place if you ladies would be more assertive yourself...
through out the day you will see guys you might be interested in.....all you gotta do is say hi or make eye contact..
men today have been neutered in the work place.....cant even look at a woman twice or its harassment...…..most don't go to clubs or bars...so that might leave the internet....for dating..
and you ladies.....will still wait and see what comes to you then complain about,,,,you should be perusing the profiles and send a hello to a guy you like..

so...if you are lonely.....be more assertive.. men don't get offended..and you ladies never have to worry about harassment ..

and just another bit of advice......join facebook forums....from dieting to working out ..
just by chance I "met" a lady from Houston in one of these forums..(2 yrs ago) we got to private messaging ...which led to a phone call ...which led to 3 visits ...which led to her moving in last may..... what a blessing for both of us.. and she was the one that said "hello" first.. imagine that

Old 10-06-2019, 10:03 AM

708 posts, read 577,973 times
I totally agree with this. I'm a gal, was divorced after a 25 year marriage. Online dating was tough for me...hell, just meeting guys was difficult. I did put myself out there volunteering, taking some classes, but it had been so long since I dated, I just kinda waited for the guy to make the first move. I popped into a neighborhood pub one Saturday and started talking to a talkative man at the bar. Something about him...we were like minded, balding (I love bald dudes!), he had teeth...😆. I bought him a bloody mary, and asked him to play a game of pool. Before I left, I worked up the courage and asked him if he was single, and if so, could we meet again. He got my number, and BAM, 4 years later, we got married. I really think it can be a struggle being male or female in the dating world. If one keeps striking out, it can become tiresome. It's when I stopped devoting so much time to finding "the one" that he popped into my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post

first of all... being single doesn't mean being lonely...I have been more lonely WITH someone

here...my two cents.... and im being totally sexist …. to you and to all ladies..

however...on one of the most crucial part of living.....women CHOOSE not to be equal to men.....in one of the most important decisions in our lifetimes.....and that's choosing a friend.....a companion....a mate..

women demanded social equalities for decades and for the most part they have it..EXCEPT for this...….
most women will not approach a man to say hi or show some interest.....women know what they like in a guy...….but refuse to make the first step..so they wait...and wait to see what approaches them....like a tide coming in...…

women will spend 6 months picking out a kitchen floor or a paint color for a bedroom ….but wont take 5 minutes approaching a man she might be interested in....

the world would be a much better place if you ladies would be more assertive yourself...
through out the day you will see guys you might be interested in.....all you gotta do is say hi or make eye contact..
men today have been neutered in the work place.....cant even look at a woman twice or its harassment...…..most don't go to clubs or bars...so that might leave the internet....for dating..
and you ladies.....will still wait and see what comes to you then complain about,,,,you should be perusing the profiles and send a hello to a guy you like..

so...if you are lonely.....be more assertive.. men don't get offended..and you ladies never have to worry about harassment ..

and just another bit of advice......join facebook forums....from dieting to working out ..
just by chance I "met" a lady from Houston in one of these forums..(2 yrs ago) we got to private messaging ...which led to a phone call ...which led to 3 visits ...which led to her moving in last may..... what a blessing for both of us.. and she was the one that said "hello" first.. imagine that

Old 10-06-2019, 10:19 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,645,497 times
Quote:

Very insightful, Mr. Maine. I agree. I was outgoing and friendly towards men, and got many positive responses (in my 50s, yet). I truly believe it is the aura you project. Smiling, approachable. Sure, you might get some losers also, but just winnow them out. I'll say "hi" first---seems to work out. I'm talking IRL, though.

Old 10-06-2019, 01:01 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Quote:

Well, there is a catch and that is the damning thing of having an intelligence background.

One is constantly analyzing, asking why is this person interested in me. I can't help that, it is the way I have been trained........and I imagine it goes both ways.

And if it doesn't, then perhaps it should.

As far as FB goes, I'm always "undercover". That's being a conservative in a liberal world. If I want to keep my theatre and dancing friends, I hold my tongue or employ a counter self such as I don't oppose them but express an opinion that hits in the vicinity of theirs. For example, someone was saying that the President was a person who never learned that his was not the only voice.......and I countered that by saying "Well, that is what they said about Ike, from him going from General where no one told him no, to becoming President.".

And then, there is the other thing. "Those who feel me near, close their blinds and change their minds." ("Putting out Fire with Gasoline", David Bowie). I hear it always, people who are impressed by the moves I know, that I am one person they would not want to take on, that even relaxed that there is a degree of prowess to me. Once again, it is the way I am trained to be (somewhere along that line) and it is not something I can turn off. People who see me immediately assume I'm police, ranger, something along those lines. I've always said that if I find myself part of a hijacking, they are going to shoot me first just on general principle (if my theatrical camouflage doesn't kick in).

Sigh. Getting back to the first point? Right now in the daylight, here on the ground level, I can look at the forest, look at the clouds and dream. Up in the loft when I see other signs of civilization, I have to use imagination to replace them to something favorable, such as the house is an ancient ruin, that I am part of a science team on some forest planet, perhaps the only occupant in this station.

Reinterpretiing reality to that which is more favorable to me. And who knows.......perhaps the Net (and cable) is in the same category.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology