Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2019, 06:04 AM

23,652 posts, read 13,982,074 times

Advertisements

Ever see the Charmed episode "Lost and Bound"? The sisters have lost something special, they cast a spell, and everything they have ever lost, well almost everything for there was the threat of virginity but I don't think it went that far, started showing up....like all those socks in the washer.

I sort of feel like that this morning. Yesterday, I started using my Father's Chinese cuff links box as the place to empty my pockets at the end of the day (like Forever Knight).....only to find that the two stik pens I carry around couldn't be found this morning (I pulled two more out of the big box I bought). Many week ago, I started hanging up my neck wallet and primary set of keys by the door (like on Charmed) so I would always know where they were, to improve my habit picked up from ("Dog" Above the Influence) (I guess all puns intended) as an attempt to norm my life. Sunday night, I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find my work pen light that I had brought home by accident on Friday but fortunately on Monday morning, it was in the packing box where I tended to drop, yesterday, everything. Whew....but it made me think that I needed a better system.

So the questions are a few. First, do we try to improve our habits by what we see on TV?

Do we model ourselves, right or wrong, by what we see on TV?

Finally, for all those things that disappear where we are sure we placed them a moment ago or last night.....is it the temporal gods playing with us or is there a more reasonable answer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2019, 06:43 AM

61,685 posts, read 87,077,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
Whew....but it made me think that I needed a better system.

So the questions are a few. First, do we try to improve our habits by what we see on TV?

Finally, for all those things that disappear where we are sure we placed them a moment ago or last night.....is it the temporal gods playing with us or is there a more reasonable answer?
Yes. I think you need a better system and stick to it. Make it your habit.
It clearly looks like you are getting forgetful. You don't actually do what you think you do - like placing your things in the containers.
If you think about doing something, do it right away - because we tend to forget about it later.

And ... Are there people who would model themselves by what they see on... TV? Seriously?
TV in most cases is about fiction. We need to make things to work in real life. Customize it to our needs, not because we saw something on TV.

Start new habits and rigorously follow them. If there is a box or place for your keys, then never ever put them somewhere else, not even for a minute, because you will forget about them.
My house isn't a sterile museum, but I am a person of order and habits. It could be middle of the night with no light and a stressful situation and I would know exactly where my stuff is to get it in need.

When we get older our memory start to fail us, so we need to rely on habits. They die really hard...

Old 09-24-2019, 10:16 AM

2,974 posts, read 1,983,756 times
...turn the damn thing off...it's called the 'Skinner Box' for a reason

Old 09-24-2019, 10:22 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,150,871 times
I used to regularly misplace my keys. I also locked them in my car trunk once!

I developed a method to handle this. I hung my keys on a key hook by the door to the garagewhen I got home. When arriving some place, I kept my keys on my finger and made a fist, until I had gotten out of car, and locked it. I put my keys in one designated place in my purse. I kept my purse in the same place when I got home. These small things made my life easier.

Develop habits that make sense for you. Then follow them.

Old 09-24-2019, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justus978 View Post
...turn the damn thing off...it's called the 'Skinner Box' for a reason
I have, sort of. That is, all TV out at the ranch is canned. DVDs, tapes, there is no cable, antennae, or satellite connection. The screen is fed by almost a dozen different players.

As far as other suggestions, well received and I will think on it, thank you.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-24-2019 at 11:03 AM..

Old 09-24-2019, 03:01 PM

23,278 posts, read 18,810,120 times
There's this old saying:

"A place for everything and everything in its place."

Old sayings get that way because they make sense. Things I use frequently/daily are returned to their spots after use. Doesn't matter what it is. Amazing how that works.

TV isn't reality. Even much of the news. Can't say I've ever modeled myself on any TV characters, but we all know subliminal messaging exists.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There's this old saying:

"A place for everything and everything in its place."

Old sayings get that way because they make sense. Things I use frequently/daily are returned to their spots after use. Doesn't matter what it is. Amazing how that works.

TV isn't reality. Even much of the news. Can't say I've ever modeled myself on any TV characters, but we all know subliminal messaging exists.
As far as TV people go, I like to approach life as Dr. Bellow described Captain Nelson. That is,

"Well, you don't fit into any known category. One minute you're calm, the next, you're hysterical. You can pass the most difficult test the Air Force has devised, and yet, you hear voices. You're a top scientist, and you suffer from delusions. You don't call that interesting? I can't wait to put you in a book." (the wild thing is that if this quote came later in the series, it would make sense, but it is first season, episode 4)

Abby on ER is like that, the way I see it. Further, as far as her love relationships go, there is an interesting twist to them. That is, "Luka! He doesn't want to fix Abby, he just wants to love her!.......Nevertheless, Abby ended up fixed!".

That said, when it comes to people, I don't how many don't get thru life engaging some kind of delusion, interpreting things in a story to themselves when reality says otherwise.

It is like looking at clouds. Right now, I have a wonderful sunset reflecting on distance clouds, nice colors, I am on the first floor, not up in the loft, so letting imagination take it away is not so easy but if I were, it wouldn't be too hard to enter into the classic Doctor Who world of "Kinda".

To me, that's one of those overlays I can activate if I wish, at times. To not see the house on the neighboring ranch as a house, but the ruins of a past civilization on the forest planet that I have been assigned to as a science station member.

NOW GRANTED, all things considered, consider the world I have experienced from 92 till 18 where I was working the mid shift and needed a way to deal with my off time in the daylight. When you are a night shift worker, the world is a quite different place from those in the daylight.

This is all about norming life to daylight but now that I work in daylight, while it isn't quite like it was before, I am still adjusting.

Last edited by TamaraSavannah; 09-24-2019 at 06:35 PM..

Old 09-24-2019, 07:04 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,963,948 times
First, do we try to improve our habits by what we see on TV?
change, maybe....improve? usually not.

oh yeah. lots of that.

there is a pay attention answer.

Old 09-25-2019, 01:01 AM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
Tv- if documentary or science based I think one can retain some tools utilized from the airing.

Op- use the a b c method. Assign a spot. Be consistent. Collect daily/confirm item is there.

No way do I leave keys in an easy access area. That is a robbers wet dream .

Old 09-25-2019, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nov3 View Post
Tv- if documentary or science based I think one can retain some tools utilized from the airing.

Op- use the a b c method. Assign a spot. Be consistent. Collect daily/confirm item is there.

No way do I leave keys in an easy access area. That is a robbers wet dream .
Hmmmm, that's a good point about the keys. Don't know if I can go with it, but it's that a good point. Of course, the only time the keys are hanging in the mud room is when I am at home. If I go out, I take both pairs of keys with me. Learned that from a Saint (Roger Moore) episode to always have 2 pairs of keys with me.

Further, I have learned, from the flick "Roxanne", to never go through a door that can lock behind you without a set of keys. So even if I am just going out on the porch for the view, I have a set of keys.

Oven mitts. If I do it properly, they are right behind me on the pot rack so when I am pouring coffee from the stove top pot, it is just a turn around to grab one. Of course, I have to get in the habit of putting them back. I don't think any movie taught me that.....but it was movies like Witches of Eastwick, Kiss the Girls, and TV like Charmed that I modeled my kitchen after with the hanging pot rack, the glass door cabinets.

Found the stik pens....they were behind the backup glasses case which I keep in the same place. When you are near sighted and can't find where your glasses dropped off your face the night before, it is wise to have an older pair in the same place (and then another older pair in its same place) so you can go looking for them.

Though now that I think of it, I didn't pick up that habit from the movie "Time After Time".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology