Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2019, 08:18 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,875,202 times

Advertisements

Yes.

Sometimes I 'clap back' to the mouthpieces of misinformation online, which I suppose means I am bothered emotionally. Furthermore, often when I post random-seeming information people deem provocative, it's because I am trying to fight a widespread set of misinformation. Too many people believe and spread wrong-headed ideas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2019, 10:15 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
You have to get to a point where you believe nothing unless you heard it or saw it yourself.

Old 10-22-2019, 11:07 PM

838 posts, read 564,864 times
Yes!

It bothers me because i use to rely on MSM/Journalism for all my world news, The internet however ruined all of it for me by exposing everything from media bias to blatant censorship etc. Now we're living in a time in which nearly all of journalist use misinformation in the form of 'clickbait' to capitalize off a story, It doesn't even help either that we have a president who blatantly lies through his teeth.

Growing up i thought i'd never see the day but sadly times change and this is what we're stuck with.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 PM

29,267 posts, read 16,728,168 times
I don't trust too much of anything but don't get upset ANYMORE. So many lies out there to all degrees. This technology world puts us in contact one way or another with millions of so many strangers. And I find so many lies lies lies, I do not lie and realize that so many do.

Old 10-26-2019, 07:40 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Does it bother you, intellectually and emotionally, the amount of misinformation that gets spread?

Not as much as it bothers me how dumb and self-serving people are so they literally WANT to believe it.

Old 10-26-2019, 09:53 PM

15,713 posts, read 9,512,680 times
I am trying to learn not to get bothered by things of which I have absolutely no control over like what other people who are not me think. When I do that, my life is much, much better as is my blood pressure

Old 10-27-2019, 06:27 AM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iSudo View Post
Let's look at it from a couple of perspectives.

First, let's look at it from the perspective that the misinformation is about you or something that pertains to you is being spread.

Next, let's look at it from a general perspective. The misinformation may not be about you or something that pertains to you, but something that you are informed on and know enough about to realize that it's misinformation.

Do either of these concepts bother you on an intellectual level? On an emotional level? If so, how do you generally respond? Do you get frustrated? Annoyed? Do you try to correct the misinformation? Or are you more passive about it, and try to remind yourself that it is what it is and sometimes this happens?

HA! I probably welcome it! I want to be untrackable, so no one knows how to push my buttons.

Old 10-27-2019, 12:09 PM

11,046 posts, read 6,632,416 times
It is disheartening how science and research is rejected these days.

If people don't want to believe it, or it doesn't suit their "agenda", well, its' "Fake News".

Thank the orange man for that.

Old 10-27-2019, 01:11 PM

23,656 posts, read 13,964,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

If people don't want to believe it, or it doesn't suit their "agenda", well, its' "Fake News".

Oh, I wouldn't put it all on him for it has been going on for decades. News people presenting pictures for things they are talking about but the pictures aren't that but no one bothers to say ooops or sorry or issue a correction......unless they are seriously caught.

Like the background at Democratic function in 2012.......and they are showing the Russian fleet. I remember reading a foreign journal in the 80s about one of the carriers going off to a certain part of the war but picture wasn't that for they had A-1 Skyraiders on the deck and hence, the picture was from the Viet Nam War. When the DC-10 crashed in Chicago, I remember the news having an interview and then the anchorman trying to retell it and that's not what was said at all. Put a picture on the front of a magazine of a ship with a hull number of 47, to represent America's might with the lead CG-47....only it may have the number but the ship is a foreign export Lupo class. The history channel is talking about Soviet SSNs but the picture is of Foxtrot diesels.

Lie to people enough and they will not believe you, regardless of what you say.

Old 10-27-2019, 10:12 PM

12,832 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
YES, misinformation bothers me on an emotional AND intellectual level, and when I suspect that misinformation is deliberately being given, it infuriates me! Being innocently mistaken is one thing, but to deliberately lie about something is inexcusable, in my opinion. (And it doesn't matter whether the misinformation is about something "personal" or non-personal.)
This. Minor things bother me, but I can ignore them. Bigger issues however, esp when deliberate, infuriate me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand&Salt View Post

Do you realize you're actually doing what you disagree with? It's not about the "orange man" because it's been going on much longer than that and on many things. I've seen too many things reported on the so called "news" where I had direct information that didn't match the media. Too often the media will use a photo or video that isn't what they claim it is. The chevy "exploding" gas tank where they used ignitors to make sure it "exploded" is one example that has nothing to do with politics.

Report the facts, all the facts, and only the facts. Teach the facts, all the facts, and only the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology