Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-01-2019, 02:47 AM

3,877 posts, read 3,897,668 times

Advertisements

Humbleness is a trait that most would associate positively. Whether we spend our lives in pursuit of it is another story, but isn't when you think about it humbleness and ideal human traits are those that are more aware of their own reality for Americans that we produce $60k plus resources for every human being illegal or not in our country every year, this is the reality. We know through the push of our ancestors that nature is imperfect and pushes towards our species survival on the surface, but under further evaluation will also push a species to extinction if a species doesn't cultivate it's natural desires. It's only through this that nature really has made us intelligent as a species winch is nothing more than a mirror that we have to put in effort to see, but once we see it we're able to see how our natural drives might actually be the root of all our evil, but the only thing that has kept us alive as well. With this mirror we try as a society to preach the things we have the knowledge to understand their benefit, but nature doesn't make them our natural ways of interacting. So with a little thought it seems clear that from a societal standpoint we preach these things because as we grow old and have more life experience you understand better the nature of life and death, and that we've worked towards a society where survival isn't really a question, but until we understand the world in winch ws have create we become slaves to nature winch ultimately brings us misery.

We must understand that every human being has the same amount of potential, and we must utilize our knowledge to invest in that potential, but we'll never do this without truly understanding of our current REALITY we even associate wisdom with age, but wisdom should be passed down to all those In the species because our very existence is tied to one another in ways that may not be clear, but with the mirror of intelligence we have the ability to understand all that every human being has ever known. We must truly value each other for the Helen Kellers, and Steven Hawkings we are this is truly understanding reality and why as a species at ths very least we preach it to the young even if we're too foolish to capitalize on the best investment we could make. We're driven to do extraordinary things because as a species nothing is superior than the love of another human being we understand this from a love standpoint, but REALITY is much harder and we must help each other make out and deal with what's in front of our face. Then and only then will we find the faith that truly gives us the ability to walk towards the inevitable death as we learn to walk on Earth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2019, 05:02 PM

720 posts, read 429,008 times
I don't really think we understand more about the nature of life and death as we get older.
What does it even mean when we say "nature of life and death"?
Is it separate? is it one continuous cycle? Isn't the point of life, life in and of itself?

I don't think faith is really needed, and there really aren't any rules in life.
To be humble is to appreciate everything for what it is.
Genuine love. Understanding. Acceptance.
I guess that is also what you said - to be humble is "to be grounded in reality".

Life technically is not hard. Life is the easiest thing. you do it automatically.
What is hard is living the life you want.
What is hard is accepting yourself.
People come to me confused, not knowing if they are good or bad, not knowing if they did something right or wrong. Worrying if they are worth loving or if they deserve to be alone. Not knowing why they are sad or feel unfulfilled.
They think that they change as they grow up.

I find it especially funny when I end up having this conversation about "having changed" with them. Everyone starts by saying they have changed. And after talking for a while they all come to the conclusion that what really happened is that they have just accepted themselves. Sometimes they are actually surprised with themselves and how they weren't aware of how unchanged they remain as a person.

People don't need to do anything different. People already love each other. People already are trying their best. The world is continuously changing for the better.

Just be yourself. Love yourself. Life isn't just the future, and it isn't just the past. it is right now.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:52 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,167,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean1the1 View Post
Humbleness is a trait that most would associate positively. Whether we spend our lives in pursuit of it is another story, but isn't when you think about it humbleness and ideal human traits are those that are more aware of their own reality for Americans that we produce $60k plus resources for every human being illegal or not in our country every year, this is the reality. We know through the push of our ancestors that nature is imperfect and pushes towards our species survival on the surface, but under further evaluation will also push a species to extinction if a species doesn't cultivate it's natural desires. It's only through this that nature really has made us intelligent as a species winch is nothing more than a mirror that we have to put in effort to see, but once we see it we're able to see how our natural drives might actually be the root of all our evil, but the only thing that has kept us alive as well. With this mirror we try as a society to preach the things we have the knowledge to understand their benefit, but nature doesn't make them our natural ways of interacting. So with a little thought it seems clear that from a societal standpoint we preach these things because as we grow old and have more life experience you understand better the nature of life and death, and that we've worked towards a society where survival isn't really a question, but until we understand the world in winch ws have create we become slaves to nature winch ultimately brings us misery.

We must understand that every human being has the same amount of potential, and we must utilize our knowledge to invest in that potential, but we'll never do this without truly understanding of our current REALITY we even associate wisdom with age, but wisdom should be passed down to all those In the species because our very existence is tied to one another in ways that may not be clear, but with the mirror of intelligence we have the ability to understand all that every human being has ever known. We must truly value each other for the Helen Kellers, and Steven Hawkings we are this is truly understanding reality and why as a species at ths very least we preach it to the young even if we're too foolish to capitalize on the best investment we could make. We're driven to do extraordinary things because as a species nothing is superior than the love of another human being we understand this from a love standpoint, but REALITY is much harder and we must help each other make out and deal with what's in front of our face. Then and only then will we find the faith that truly gives us the ability to walk towards the inevitable death as we learn to walk on Earth.
Please condense this to about six shortish sentences. I can’t make heads or tails of it as it is.

Old 11-03-2019, 05:56 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,967,503 times
silibran, you beat me to it.

Old 11-03-2019, 08:51 PM

12,043 posts, read 8,425,882 times
And please reconsider the false perception that "We must understand that every human being has the same amount of potential. . ."

This would be fortunate, if true, but we aren't.

I do think healthy humility can be a sign of a realistic viewpoint. Excessive grandiosity is one marker of disorder.

Old 11-07-2019, 04:23 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,227,645 times
humility is wisdom......arrogance is weakness..

a wise man asks questions and is curious, an arrogant man is a self-centered know it all

a humble man is confident......an arrogant man is always seeking approval (from others)

be a coach in life not a cop....a coach bring out the best of people with a WE based solution...a cop just identifies problems....any dick can do that

Old 11-07-2019, 02:25 PM

20,393 posts, read 14,667,898 times
I cannot speak to the ramble that is the OP, but the concept of humility is one I've given some thought to.

I know a lot of people who are really...REALLY hard on themselves. Who can drive themselves to utter despair with negative self talk. Who have worth, and value, but somewhere along the line, were taught never to think well of themselves, because pride is a sin and you have to be "humble." If you are good at something, don't toot your own horn, because others will think you're putting yourself above them. And I'm sorry, but when someone has worked for years to develop a skill, a philosophy, a healthier mindset or set of life habits, to gain wisdom or self awareness, to not only survive their hardships, but to overcome them... For someone to stand from a lower place, a mean and bitter place, and scowl at them and say, "You just think yer better than me!"...it's petty and it's vile. If you have done the work and earned some self respect, then I support your right to celebrate yourself. Excessive humility to the point of self deprecation is not required.

The one relative I had that I really looked up to, was an elegant woman with a nice home. She and her husband, who died decades before she did, did not make a ton of money in their lives from wages, but they were intensely thrifty and they invested, so in her widowed old age, when I knew her, she could afford to drive a nice car and keep a nice home. She could donate to causes that were meaningful to her, and take college courses to enrich her mind.

But her sister was irresponsible, in her youth and throughout her life. Grasping and petty and jealous of my Aunt, as was her husband my Grandfather. They were criminals in their young adulthoods. But they seized upon a lucrative career choice and did pretty well for themselves, became respectable as far as anyone knew. They made a lot more, but squandered it on stupid things, lots of expensive toys like boats and motorhomes and so on.

And growing up, I was enchanted by this classy Aunt of mine, who went to the art galleries and symphonies and hiked in China. And I had to listen to my Grandparents say that "Old Aunt J, she thinks she's better than everybody. But she's rich, so you make friends with her, maybe she'll give you her money some day." It was DISGUSTING. How nasty people can point at a wonderful human being and twist around everything good about them and just say that they are putting on airs and ought to be "humble." Ought not to live in such a way that shows up their own flaws by contrast, is more like. When my Aunt passed, my Grandma and Grandpa were so sure she left me a pile of money and they tried for years to get me to give it to them (she left her estate to a college scholarship foundation, and it wasn't even that much after she'd been in a home for years due to dementia--that isn't cheap.) I'm pretty sure my Grandma died angry that her sister didn't leave her any of this imagined fortune.

So I grew up, seeing and hearing petty little people trying to tear down others who aren't really going around bragging, they're just trying to be their own best selves, and they won't hide it and diminish it for the sake of those who aren't on their level. Should a gifted singer remain silent so that those who are tone deaf won't feel inferior? Should a star athlete not play at his best because there are some who are not as fit? Should an artist burn her paintings since not everyone is so creative and they might feel bad?

Now obviously, there's a great difference between having something of genuine merit about yourself, and not needing to hide or devalue it for the sakes of others... And simply being a bag of hot wind, a pretentious person of no real substance. But I think it's important as we interact with others, and especially to and around children, that we differentiate deserved pride from empty self-promotion. I know a lot more depressed people who could do with better self esteem, than I do pompous braggarts. And sometimes, the latter is just a way to conceal the former.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology