Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2019, 01:38 PM

102,188 posts, read 107,790,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
It really bothers me that after he got his diagnosis, he was able to so easily go to a store and purchase a gun. I know people don’t like talking about this, but we really need to look at the criteria for which owning a gun is acceptable and for whom it’s not acceptable. If you have epilepsy, you can’t get a drivers license because that makes you a risky driver. I think the same should be applied to guns.
My understanding is that it's illegal for people diagnosed with a serious mental illness to buy a gun, however, the laws in various states don't have "teeth", IOW, such individuals can take advantage of the loopholes. Those need tightening up, and IIRC there have been recent legislative proposals to do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2019, 04:27 PM

50,710 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
My understanding is that it's illegal for people diagnosed with a serious mental illness to buy a gun, however, the laws in various states don't have "teeth", IOW, such individuals can take advantage of the loopholes. Those need tightening up, and IIRC there have been recent legislative proposals to do just that.
Obama signed a bill that made it illegal for anyone who was collecting social security disability due to a mental
illness to buy a gun. But the Trump administration repealed it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1039301

Old 11-04-2019, 05:03 PM

21,109 posts, read 13,549,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Due to HIPPA it won't show up on a background check. It's up to the person to be honest when asked on the form. Someone can just check 'no' and make the purchase. Literally a person in the midst of a mental health crisis can go and buy one. I don't know how to solve that due to HIPPA.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jencam View Post
Due to HIPPA it won't show up on a background check. It's up to the person to be honest when asked on the form. Someone can just check 'no' and make the purchase. Literally a person in the midst of a mental health crisis can go and buy one. I don't know how to solve that due to HIPPA.
You give permission for private information to be released in a background check. They Obama bill did prevent people who are on Social Security disability due to a mental illness from purchasing a gun.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:32 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,537,463 times
I don't know what the solution is other than bringing back asylums and locking up mentally ill people.

The horrid conditions would have to change of course but we all know that we wouldn't be able to depend on that happening. Depending on the home, it is pitiful that the care and conditions in our nursing homes alone with older people can be horrid.

Until you have a family member who is mentally ill, you have no idea how helpless and hopeless you feel at times.
When they are having a psychotic episode, the fear that you experience and worry about is very real.

This is a sad case that very well could have happened in my childhood home back in the 70's. We were fortunate that after diagnosis, my brother stayed on his meds until he passed away a few years ago of a heart attack.
-----------------------------------

If you don't have a friend or family member who is mentally ill, consider yourself very lucky indeed. The stress and fear is terrible. You walk on a sea of eggshells.

Old 11-05-2019, 03:40 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Obama signed a bill that made it illegal for anyone who was collecting social security disability due to a mental
illness to buy a gun. But the Trump administration repealed it.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nbc...mp/ncna1039301
It was based on whether a person had a representative payee. People can have representative payees for a variety of reasons. Many people ask for them because they have problems handling money. Their mental illness might not be one that would cause them to be a danger to self or others. The vast majority of people who get social security do not have representative payees.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
It was based on whether a person had a representative payee. People can have representative payees for a variety of reasons. Many people ask for them because they have problems handling money. Their mental illness might not be one that would cause them to be a danger to self or others. The vast majority of people who get social security do not have representative payees.
They had to have a mental illness as the reason for SSDI and had a representative payee to manage it.

Old 11-05-2019, 06:19 AM

15,625 posts, read 10,380,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Is there any way to get help for someone who refuses to take their meds?
there isn't, unfortunately, any law to force a mentally ill person to take their meds unless they are hospitalized for threatening to hurt themselves or others. the mentally ill have rights as Americans to remain sick if not a danger to anyone.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:10 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,937,672 times
Quote:
He had already been involuntarily commuted. They let him out, he didn’t take his meds, and he went and bought a gun legally. I’m sorry something is wrong with that.
Sorry, the problem here isn't the gun he used - it's the fact that he was let out, and didn't take his meds.

Non-military do not own guns in China, and guns. Yet there have been a number of mass murders including school massacres in China and Japan over the years -- using knives, meat cleavers, and axes. In one famous case, a cult killed people on a train in Japan using home-brewed ricin gas. Are you going to screen all purchases of sharp pointy objects, too? What will that level of monitoring cost society? All the chemical precursors that are used to produce poisons? If you're crazy (or evil) enough to kill a classroom full of children or your own family, you'll find a way to do so -- even if you can't get hold of a gun.

https://list25.com/25-deadliest-scho...man-history/2/
https://www.britannica.com/event/Tok...attack-of-1995
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology