Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2019, 12:18 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,161,650 times

Advertisements

I have a friend who suffers from similar traits as you. He started taking martial arts years ago and it's worked wonders for him. It's given him a lot of confidence as he's met a whole new circle of friends, he's obviously physically stronger and yes he can defend himself as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2019, 01:43 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,580,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DCT2019 View Post
I am a 22 year old male. I've been bullied pretty much my entire life. From my childhood even now to my adulthood. People have teased me, called me names, physically assaulted me, etc. Even when I was in college, I had a few people in my classes and peer groups who picked on me. It baffled me that this can occur even in college where you think everyone would have matured by that point.

Even now in the workplace, I have a couple of workplace bullies.

I even have family members who pick on me.

I want to understand why this problem follows me everywhere and how can I put an end to it?

Other details about me that may help:

I believe I was a target for bullies in school because I was very shy, quiet, I kept to myself, I didn't really have any friends, I had low self-esteem, I was a bit socially awkward, I was too nice, etc.

Still to this day, I have confidence and self-esteem issues. I have Social Anxiety, and I've dealt with that all of my life. I don't like conflict and people being mad at me. I still have a hard time standing up for myself.
Nothing is "always" or "never."

What exactly do the coworkers do that you consider bullying?

What exactly do your family members DO that you consider bullying?

I'm wondering if some of this is your perception, or you are misidentifying something as bullying. It's unlikely adults in the work place are "bullying" coworkers, and at the same time, your family members are doing the same thing.

Example of bullying: More than person stands in the hall while you pass, and hit you or call you names. Do your relatives do that, when you go to visit?

Old 11-07-2019, 01:47 PM

61,694 posts, read 87,077,794 times
That's why:

Quote:
That's why:

I believe I was a target for bullies in school because I was very shy, quiet, I kept to myself, I didn't really have any friends, I had low self-esteem, I was a bit socially awkward, I was too nice, etc.

Still to this day, I have confidence and self-esteem issues. I have Social Anxiety, and I've dealt with that all of my life. I don't like conflict and people being mad at me. I still have a hard time standing up for myself.
Nothing will change unless you start to improve yourself. People feel your insecurities, your low self-esteem, and your weakness. Lots of people are cruel, giving a chance they will bully The Weak ones.

Last edited by elnina; 11-07-2019 at 03:37 PM..

Old 11-07-2019, 01:57 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,034,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, I think you answered your own question, OP. You give off a vibe that invites bullying, is my guess.

You have identified social anxiety an self esteem issues as part of your personality. I suspect you have gone through some sort of counseling. It might be time to find a supportive counselor who can help you with these social issues which make your life miserable.

If you are being bullied in the workplace, and especially if it hinders your work, follow your employer's procedures for reporting it. This means either talking to your supervisor or to HR. If your supervisor is the one bullying you, then I perhaps you need to look for another job while the job market favors hiring.
Please. Have you ever been bullied and shamed? .The shyness, seclusion and withdrawal from people is a side effect of getting bullied.

OP,
I was bullied despite being a topper in the class. Sadly it was by people who i thought were friends . During teenage i completely withdrew from things. Add to it my partial hearing loss made things worse. LUckily I stuck around with prayers, it has helped me to this day.

Now you are an adult which means you wont meet them again. WOrkplace is a new start. The modern day workplaces lets you be what you are and focus only on work and performance. You meet new people who know nothing about you. If you perform well, you will be liked. Doing well in what you do and in life will help you forget the past.

And i guess if you hit bottom, the only way is up.

Last edited by shanv3; 11-07-2019 at 02:06 PM..

Old 11-07-2019, 02:05 PM

22,284 posts, read 21,722,713 times
What do your family members do to "pick on you."

Old 11-07-2019, 02:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
I’m like that but I beat up a few bullies Or called them on their stuff
they still call me names
Mostly paranoid or racist
Lots of people don’t like me that is ok I don’t like them either

Old 11-07-2019, 02:28 PM

230 posts, read 215,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zentropa View Post
What do your family members do to "pick on you."
It's mainly my Dad and older brother. Like they will make comments or "jokes" that I find offensive or not funny. I am different from them. Like different personality and commonalities. I always feel like my Dad favors my brother over me. Every time I spend time with them, I feel like the third wheel.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:31 PM

20,758 posts, read 19,964,416 times
Quote:
It's mainly my Dad and older brother. Like they will make comments or "jokes" that I find offensive or not funny. I am different from them. Like different personality and commonalities. I always feel like my Dad favors my brother over me. Every time I spend time with them, I feel like the third wheel.
not trying to discredit you but I wonder if this is true or if you are just overly sensitive? Do other people see that favoritism and bullying within your family, too? Those jokes - are they are jokes about you or just jokes you don't think are funny?

Old 11-07-2019, 02:46 PM

3,754 posts, read 4,238,095 times
Quote:

Sign yourself up for Krav Maga or some other martial art. By the time you are 25, you won't have a hard time standing up for yourself and it will help you the rest of your life.

Old 11-07-2019, 02:56 PM

230 posts, read 215,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
not trying to discredit you but I wonder if this is true or if you are just overly sensitive? Do other people see that favoritism and bullying within your family, too? Those jokes - are they are jokes about you or just jokes you don't think are funny?
No, just me. They mainly do it when other people aren't around. The jokes are targeted to me and I don't find them funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology