Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2019, 11:09 AM

31,304 posts, read 32,869,458 times

Advertisements

I am a millionaire, but I am lonely

Quote:
Originally Posted by May1989 View Post
So, the definition of a millionaire is someone whose asset is over 1 million dollars, i.e. $1,000,000

I fit the above description, and I am a millionaire. Most people agree that we should not reveal how much money we have, so I keep it to myself. I must stress that it took me over 45 years to build my wealth. Whenever I look at my spreadsheet, the million-dollar asset stares back at me. It makes me so happy. The thing is I cannot share it with anybody, not even my grownup daughters, especially my grownup daughters! I often ask myself whether it is true that I am now a millionaire. I hope I am right.

Does anyone have the same problem? Please share
If this is your biggest problem then maybe you should look into volunteer work in the community. There are many people that fit your definition of being well-off however it’s not a problem. Lonely is something that you might bring on yourself. Find some time to spend helping others and understanding just what life is about for many people who are do not have your issue. They don’t appear to be lonely, many work two jobs just keeping up with the family needs, others find time to help those in need; lonely isn’t something they know about. You worked hard at getting your spreadsheet in the black now work hard at caring for strangers in need. Just a small action of reaching out can make a difference in everyone’s life. Visiting with elderly in a retirement center, reading a book to someone visually impaired, volunteer spending time at a grade school as a teachers aid, visit a senior center and play cards with others, there are any of the many things that will put you into another world of social activities and will fix being lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2019, 05:38 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,135,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
Your scenario does not necessarily mean you are a millionaire. You state an asset is a million dollars, what asset. Is this asset a house that's paid for. If you're looking at stocks and bonds etc on a spreadsheet paper those fluctuate too much to rely on and are worthless until cashed in.
Unless you have a million dollars in real cash that you can spend right now without an inflationary decrease then you're not a millionaire.
Actually I have read that anyone with assets worth a million dollars or more, is a millionaire. I do agree that having liquid assets in that amount would be quite an achievement. But even those whose assets are tied up in stocks or mutual funds, would have to liquidate assets to actually have money in hand.

Old 12-15-2019, 06:00 PM

6,141 posts, read 3,370,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
I think I know what the OP means. If you have achieved a high level of financial security it's only human nature to be happy and proud and want to tell people, but you feel that you can't.
It simply means they cannot trust those close to them NOT to appeal to his gentle nature... No doubt worked hard, or had a great Luck fortune winning a lottery~~ I don't blame OP.... However, the Old Adage.. Riches do NOT make one happy ~~ Especially IF one feels under siege by some friends and family!! ( never mind predatory investment types ala Bernie Madoff as example)

Quote:
I hesitated before making this thread because I understand human nature. Some posts are neutral, some are motivated by envy, others admiration.

Once anyone feels fairly secure then for those who have family/friends who have NEEDS and feels maybe guilty for not helping.. could haunt them for NOT coming to the rescue??

Anyway, I understand that for people who are dirt poor, they feel very uncomfortable about other people's wealth. I am more interested in hearing from those who are wealthy and how they manage to keep it to themselves. Do they join a club for the
like-minded people?
May I suggest you find an honest investment councillor that can advise you on these matters!!

Quote:
No, I won’t let them follow me downstairs LOL

The younger one is a big spender. Even though she has stable employment, she never has money left. I had to bail her out several times. That’s the reason I keep my finances from them.

I also teach and encourage her how to manage, save and invest money but it’s in one ear, out the other.
In other words, you do NOT want to become a "Mark"!! Don't blamenyou.. However, there are a whole host of other predators out there.. ala predatory investment types promising the moon~~ That's Why I suggested involving yourself with "Registered Investment types that have protections for you!!

Old 12-16-2019, 01:13 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times
Quote:
So, the definition of a millionaire is someone whose asset is over 1 million dollars, i.e. $1,000,000

I fit the above description, and I am a millionaire. Most people agree that we should not reveal how much money we have, so I keep it to myself. I must stress that it took me over 45 years to build my wealth. Whenever I look at my spreadsheet, the million-dollar asset stares back at me. It makes me so happy. The thing is I cannot share it with anybody, not even my grownup daughters, especially my grownup daughters! I often ask myself whether it is true that I am now a millionaire. I hope I am right.

Does anyone have the same problem? Please share
well i can relate to you because i am wealthy for someone at this stage in life but lonely so we are kind of in the same boat.

Last edited by C24L; 12-16-2019 at 01:40 AM..

Old 12-19-2019, 11:12 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,180,430 times
The curse of Silent Millionairism.

Oh weep, oh mourn.

Old 12-19-2019, 11:43 PM

21,530 posts, read 8,716,437 times
Money doesn't buy happiness.

Old 12-21-2019, 06:28 PM

5,195 posts, read 1,868,950 times
I don't have millions of dollars or any other currency (except yen), but I do have millions of love, of course naturally.

Edit: I don't even have 1 million yen.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:07 PM

14,108 posts, read 2,772,561 times
You can't buy everything. Some things are not for sale.

Old 12-23-2019, 05:22 PM

15,070 posts, read 10,089,802 times
stop looking at your loneliness as a financial spreadsheet bottom line issue and approach it by looking in the mirror.

Even people of modest income don't talk about their net worth income nor financials with others....

With that said, there is a well known therapist that was interviewed in a podcast that specializes in services to the ultra wealthy... addressing unique issues of the ultra wealthy without judgement. When you are the top 1% the 99% of the rest of the population have a hard time relating and yes.. it can be isolating. He even mentioned that one of the worst things that can happen to a "regular" joe individual is to win the lottery... referencing several cases of lottery winners committing suicide shortly after.... example Billie Bob Harrell Jr.

But you.. the OP... are not the ultra wealthy 1%.

Old 12-24-2019, 01:14 PM

13,613 posts, read 10,020,368 times
A million dollar asset, sounds like you may need to sell something if you were to want to please your daughters, and then you'd need to keep on selling, right up until all you own is a cardboard box. I've seen it happen.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Psychology